Merced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
No matter their severity, Motorcycle accidents can leave a lasting impact on your life, and it usually isn't for the better. If involved in a motorcycle accident, riders can experience some of the most catastrophic injuries imaginable.
One of the most significant factors contributing to the danger of riding a motorcycle is the negligence of other motorists. With nearly four decades of experience handling motorcycle accident cases, we have seen firsthand what these accidents can do to even the most experienced riders.Serving Injured Motorcyclists
We have proudly served Merced and surrounding communities in Northern California since 1982 in the aftermath of motorcycle accidents. Some of our cases have involved drunk drivers, uninsured drivers, hit-and-runs, distracted drivers, and drivers who simply fail to obey traffic laws.Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Common reasons why a motorcycle might crash include:
The city of Merced has seen its fair share of motorcycle accidents. For example, in July 2017, a motorcyclist was severely injured during a crash at G Street and Olive Avenue. This is one of the busiest and most dangerous intersections in the city of Merced. According to the Merced Police Department, a motorcycle and a white pickup truck collided in the intersection, sending one person to the hospital.
Some of the other dangerous locations in Merced include the following areas:
- G Street and W 21st Street
- R Street and W 18th Street
- W Olive Avenue and R Street
- E 27th Street and Agnes Way
- E 23rd Street and Glen Avenue
Just like the aftermath of a car accident, riders involved in a motorcycle accident will often second guess and wonder how they might have done things differently to avoid the accident altogether. When you look at motorcycle accidents in the Merced area, and throughout Northern California, you find a theme as to the most common causes. The list below is not exhaustive but does explain some reasons you might encounter as a rider:
- The Weather: The weather can play a significant role in motorcycle accidents. Most riders will not take their bikes out if the weather is already bad. But, there are times when riders will get caught in storms or other random weather events. This inclement weather can lead to tragic accidents due to high winds, heavy rain, limited visibility, and flying debris.
- Negligent Drivers: Negligent drivers are another common cause of motorcycle accidents in Merced. This category includes any driver who operates a vehicle while distracted, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, disregards the rules of the road, or engages in any other type of negligent behavior while driving.
- Roadway Hazards: Hazards in the roadway can be deadly for motorcyclists. These can include potholes, leaves, debris, dirt, dead animals, gravel, tree limbs, stranded vehicles, and more.
- Defective Products: A part on the motorcycle could be defective, leading to it failing to operate correctly, which could cause an accident. Defective products are the responsibility of the motorcycle manufacturer.
Motorcycle riders' injuries differ based on the accident's severity. Even minor accidents can cause injuries that do not manifest until days after the crash. Because of this possibility, it is always best to seek medical treatment both on the scene and at a hospital immediately following the accident. Motorcyclists involved in an accident could suffer any of the following injuries:
- Damage to nerves
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Cervical Sprains, also known as whiplash
- Road rash
The following video discusses some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Merced Motorcycle Accident FAQ
I suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident and am out of work for a while. How will my bills get paid?
Aside from their recovery, motorcyclists' biggest worries about how their bills will be paid after an accident. Many injuries can leave riders out of work for months as they go through rehabilitation. Having medical bills piling up on the counter can be overwhelming. Add in the rest of your monthly financial responsibilities, and your stress levels will become unbearable. An experienced injury attorney can help you communicate with insurance companies and secure compensation to help pay costly medical bills.
How do I know if my helmet meets the state's helmet law requirement?
The best way to determine if your helmet meets the state's helmet law is to see if there is a U.S. Department of Transportation label on it. It should say "DOT." The designation certifies that the helmet meets federal safety standards.
What should I do first if I am involved in a motorcycle accident?
If you have been injured, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. After that, call an experienced motorcycle accident attorney to find out about your legal rights. You should also take pictures of your injuries and any damage to your bike. Keep copies of all your medical bills and related expenses.Call a Merced Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
The last thing you want to do following a motorcycle accident is navigate the legal waters alone, and you need to make informed decisions regarding your situation. Reach out to our experienced Merced motorcycle accident lawyers today for some free, friendly advice. We can be reached at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 10.27.22]
:vass Rey [cs 955]
Photo by Pixabay