Merced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
No matter their severity, vehicle versus motorcycle accidents can leave a lasting impact on your life, and it usually isn't for the better. If involved in a crash, motorcyclists can experience some of the most catastrophic injuries imaginable.
One of the most significant factors contributing to the danger of riding a motorcycle is the negligence of other motorists. With over four decades of experience handling motorcycle accident cases, our legal team from AutoAccident.com have seen firsthand what these crashes can do to even the most experienced and safe riders. Our California personal injury attorneys are here to help motorcyclists injured in crashes in Merced County and across the Golden State.Personal Injury Law Firm Serving Merced Motorcyclists
At AutoAccident.com, we have proudly served Merced and surrounding communities in Northern California since 1982 in the aftermath of motorcycle crashes. Some of our cases have involved drunk drivers, uninsured drivers, hit-and-runs, distracted drivers, and drivers who simply fail to obey traffic laws.Common Causes of Car Versus Motorcycle Crashes
Some of the common reasons for accidents involving motorcyclists include:
- negligent motorists
- inclement weather
- animals, choppy pavement
- debris on the roads
- defective products
The City of Merced has seen its fair share of vehicle versus motorcycle wrecks. Approximately 14 motorcycle accidents involving bodily injury and death were reported within Merced city limits in 2020, according to a report by the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS).
Some of the intersections in the Merced area with a higher-than-usual rate of roadway crashes include:
- G Street and W 21st Street
- R Street and W 18th Street
- W Olive Avenue and R Street
- E 27th Street and Agnes Way
- E 23rd Street and Glen Avenue
Just like the aftermath of a car accident, riders involved in a motorcycle accident will often second guess and wonder how they might have done things differently to avoid the accident altogether. When you look at motorcycle accidents in the Merced area, and throughout Northern California, you find a theme as to the most common causes. The list below is not exhaustive but does explain some reasons you might encounter as a rider:
- The Weather: The weather can play a significant role in motorcycle accidents. Most riders will not take their bikes out if the weather is already bad. But, there are times when riders will get caught in storms or other random weather events. This inclement weather can lead to tragic accidents due to high winds, heavy rain, limited visibility, and flying debris.
- Negligent Drivers: Negligent drivers are another common cause of motorcycle accidents in Merced. This category includes any driver who operates a vehicle while distracted, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, disregards the rules of the road, or engages in any other type of negligent behavior while driving.
- Roadway Hazards: Hazards in the roadway can be deadly for motorcyclists. These can include potholes, leaves, debris, dirt, dead animals, gravel, tree limbs, stranded vehicles, and more.
- Defective Products: A part on the motorcycle could be defective, leading to it failing to operate correctly, which could cause an accident. Defective products are the responsibility of the motorcycle manufacturer.
The severity of injuries from a motorcycle accident will depend on various factors. Even minor accidents can cause injuries that do not manifest until days after the crash. Because of this possibility, it is always best to seek medical treatment both on the scene and at a hospital immediately following the accident. Motorcycle riders involved in traffic collisions may suffer any of the following injuries:
- Damage to nerves
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Cervical Sprains, also known as whiplash
- Road rash
The following video discusses some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Merced Motorcycle Accident FAQ
How will my medical bills get paid after a motorcycle wreck?
Aside from their recovery, motorcyclists' biggest worries about how their bills will be paid after an accident. Many injuries can leave riders out of work for months as they go through rehabilitation. Having medical bills piling up on the counter can be overwhelming. Add in the rest of your monthly financial responsibilities, and your stress levels will become unbearable. An experienced injury attorney can help you communicate with insurance companies and secure compensation to help pay costly medical bills.
How do I know if my helmet meets the California helmet law requirement?
The best way to determine if your helmet meets the state's helmet law is to see if there is a U.S. Department of Transportation label on it. It should say "DOT." The designation certifies that the helmet meets federal safety standards.
What should I do first if I am involved in a motorcycle accident?
If you have been injured, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. After that, call an experienced Merced motorcycle injury attorney to find out about your rights. You should also take pictures of your injuries and any damage to your bike. Keep copies of all your medical bills and related expenses.Contact a Merced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
The last thing you want to do following a motorcycle accident is navigate the legal waters alone, and you need to make informed decisions regarding your situation. Reach out to our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers serving Merced County, California, today for free, friendly case advice. We can be reached at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400. See our past verdicts and settlements.
Editor's Note: updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 4.10.23] vass Rey [cs 955] Photo by Pixabay