Merced Brain Injury Lawyer
Every medical injury is different. Some are impossible to predict and even more difficult to treat. Despite the significant amount of progress made in traumatic brain injuries (TBI), this description is still accurate.
While some people may recover fully from a traumatic brain injury, other families could be left dealing with chronic, lifelong complications resulting from their deficit. One of the best ways to cope with brain injuries is to prevent neurological damage from happening in the first place.Leading Causes of Brain Damage
Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict how a neurological injury or insult could develop; however, there are a few common causes of traumatic brain injuries that people should be aware of. Some of the top causes of TBI include:
- Workplace Injuries: Many different fields could expose people to potential neurological damage. While common examples include fields that work with heavy machinery such as construction, even desk jobs run the risk of traumatic brain injuries. For example, someone could slip and fall down the stairs at work. This can lead to serious brain trauma.
- Vehicular Accidents: Auto accidents often have the potential to lead to a TBI. When someone collides with another vehicle or object, their head could strike the steering wheel, windshield, dashboard, or window. This could cause serious trauma to the skull and the brain tissue inside. Serious car accidents could even lead to wrongful death.
- Pedestrian Injuries: When people walk down the street, they are vulnerable to large, heavy, fast-moving cars. If a driver is distracted, they could collide with a pedestrian, leading to a litany of serious injuries, including potentially catastrophic brain damage. Everyone should look both ways before crossing the street and pay attention while driving.
These are only a few of the many different causes of traumatic brain injuries; however, these accidents can cause many different brain injuries that everyone should take note of.Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Numerous types of brain injuries are diagnosed in different manners. While some classes of brain injuries can be diagnosed using a physical exam alone, others could require lab testing or imaging to get a better idea of what is happening inside of the skull. Examples of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Blunt: Blunt brain injuries occur when the trauma does not break through the skull. For example, someone who strikes their head on the floor or gets hit with a baseball bat has experienced a blunt brain injury; however, the brain can still collide with the skull, leading to a serious contusion. If there is a brain bleed in a skull cavity, this can lead to serious neurological consequences.
- Penetrating: The other type of traumatic brain injury is from penetrating trauma. This is trauma that breaks through the skull and directly impacts the brain tissue underneath. Stab injuries and gunshot wounds are common types of penetrating trauma that can sever nerves or slice through the blood vessels that lead to serious brain injuries.
All of these brain injuries have different treatments that patients and medical professionals need to consider. While some brain injuries can be treated with rest and medications alone, others require surgery.
All of these brain injuries have in common that they have non-medical issues that require consideration. This is where an experienced Merced brain injury lawyer can provide legal assistance.
The following video provides an in-depth look at traumatic brain injuries.Why You Need a Lawyer for a Traumatic Brain Injury Case
Head trauma is much more than just a medical issue. Numerous ancillary complications could add stress to an already difficult situation. This is where an experienced Merced brain injury attorney can provide valuable assistance.
Examples of problems that could arise from a mild or severe traumatic brain injury case include:
- Car Insurance: Drivers are required to have car insurance if they wind up in an accident where someone is injured. If someone is injured by a driver who doesn't have car insurance, they should still be held responsible for the individual's injuries.
- Proper Equipment Maintenance: Those who work with heavy equipment deserve to use machinery that has been properly maintained. Sometimes, brain injuries result from improper maintenance of heavy machinery and the negligence of those who failed to maintain it. They should be held responsible for that individual's medical care.
- Coverage of Medical Costs: What happens if an insurance company refuses to pay for the individual's medical care? It could require an experienced lawyer to force the insurance company to honor their contract and cover the costs of doctor's appointments, surgical procedures, tests, and treatment.
- Court Cases: Sometimes, the court system could be necessary to resolve some of these issues. If this happens, it is helpful to have an experienced legal professional who understands how the system works and can expedite the process.
An experienced injury lawyer can handle all legal issues involved in a personal injury case, allowing the family to focus on TBI rehabilitation and recovery. Everyone deserves a helping hand in these tough situations. Contact an experienced brain injury attorney in Merced for more information.Brain Injury Lawyer in Merced, CA
Were you involved in an accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result? Experienced Merced brain injury lawyer, Ed Smith, can discuss your best options for proceeding with a TBI case. To learn more, call our law firm at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice now.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.30.21]
:dr bw [cs 985]
Photo by Pixabay