Merced Brain Injury Lawyer
Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict how a neurological injury or insult could develop; however, there are a few common causes of traumatic brain injuries that people should be aware of. Examples include:
- Workplace Injuries: There are many different fields that could expose people to potential neurological damage. While common examples include fields that work with heavy machinery such as construction, even desk jobs run the risk of traumatic brain injuries. For example, someone could slip and fall down the stairs at work. This can lead to serious brain trauma.
- Vehicular Accidents: Auto accidents often have the potential to lead to a TBI. When someone collides with another vehicle or object, their head could strike the steering wheel, windshield, dashboard, or window. This could cause serious trauma to the skull and the brain tissue inside. Serious accidents could even lead to wrongful death.
- Pedestrian Injuries: When people are walking down the street, they are vulnerable to large, heavy, fast-moving cars. If a driver is distracted, they could collide with a pedestrian, leading to a litany of serious injuries, including potentially catastrophic brain damage. Everyone should look both ways before crossing the street and pay attention while driving.
These are only a few of the many different causes of traumatic brain injuries; however, these accidents can cause many different brain injuries that everyone should take note of.Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are numerous types of brain injuries that are diagnosed in different manners. While some classes of brain injuries can be diagnosed using a physical exam alone, others could require lab testing or imaging to get a better idea of what is happening inside of the skull. Examples of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Blunt: Blunt brain injuries occur when the trauma does not break through the skull. For example, someone who strikes their head on the floor or gets hit with a baseball bat has experienced a blunt brain injury; however, the brain can still collide with the skull, leading to a serious contusion. If there is a brain bleed in a skull cavity, this can lead to serious neurological consequences.
- Penetrating: The other type of traumatic brain injury is from penetrating trauma. This is trauma that breaks through the skull and directly impacts the brain tissue underneath. Stab injuries and gunshot wounds are common types of penetrating trauma that can sever nerves or slice through the blood vessels that lead to serious brain injuries.
All of these brain injuries have different treatments that patients and medical professionals need to consider. While some brain injuries can be treated with rest and medications alone, others require surgery. What all of these brain injuries have in common is that they have non-medical issues that require consideration as well. This is where an experienced Merced brain injury lawyer can provide legal assistance.
The following video provides an in-depth look at the traumatic brain injuries.Why You Need a Lawyer for a Traumatic Brain Injury Case
Head trauma is much more than just a medical issue. There are numerous ancillary complications that could add stress to an already difficult situation. This is where a legal adviser can provide assistance. Examples of problems that could arise include:
- Car Insurance: Drivers are required to have car insurance in case they wind up in an accident where someone is injured. If someone is injured by a driver who doesn't have car insurance, they should still be held responsible for the individual's injuries.
- Proper Equipment Maintenance: Those who work with heavy equipment deserve to use machinery that has been properly maintained. Sometimes, brain injuries result from improper maintenance of heavy machinery and the negligence of those who failed to maintain it. They should be held responsible for that individual's medical care.
- Coverage of Medical Costs: What happens if an insurance company refuses to pay for the individual's medical care? It could require an experienced lawyer to force the insurance company to honor their contract and cover the costs of doctor's appointments, surgical procedures, tests, and treatment.
- Court Cases: Sometimes, the court system could be necessary to resolve some of these issues. If this happens, it is helpful to have an experienced legal professional who understands how the system works and can expedite the process.
An experienced lawyer can handle all legal issues involved in a personal injury case, allowing the family to focus on TBI rehabilitation and recovery. Everyone deserves a helping hand in these tough situations. Contact an experienced brain injury attorney in Merced for more information.Brain Injury Attorneys in Merced County
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced brain injury lawyer. If you have been involved in an accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result, call me for free, friendly legal advice at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400. We can discuss your best options on how to proceed with a personal injury claim.
:dr bw [cs 985]
Photo by Pixabay
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.2.20]