McKinleyville Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
McKinleyville in Humboldt County is one of those towns you visit and never want to leave. Located along some of California’s most beautiful coastline, the 15,177 people who call it home have the advantage of modern conveniences in a peaceful setting. Located along Highway 101, the pace in McKinleyville is leisurely, and there are many outdoor adventures within easy distance.Humboldt County Accidents
Being injured in an accident can interrupt your life and cause financial strain for the entire family. The number one cause of crashes is traffic collisions. While accidents may happen inside the community, they are more likely to be dangerous on the highways. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 879 individuals either injured or killed in traffic accidents in Humboldt County in 2016. Alcohol consumption, which is a major cause of traffic collisions, was involved in 162 of those accidents. Motorcycle collisions caused 58 fatalities and injuries in the county, while 65 accidents involved pedestrians. Speeding is at a lower rate than most California counties and contributed to 43 traffic accident deaths and injuries.Personal Injury Causes
People generally don’t think about personal injuries until they or a loved one has experienced one. Personal injuries occur due to negligence. They can happen because of a person who commits a traffic offense or because of a government entity when streets or bridges are poorly maintained. Those that tend to be traffic offenses include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: The majority of personal injuries occur because of a traffic accident. Forms of negligence that can lead to a personal injury in a crash include drunk driving, speeding, fatigue and being distracted.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorists are often negligent when it comes to driving safely near motorcycle riders. Because riders are less conspicuous, they have to be especially cautious around cars and trucks. Traffic infractions often cause accidents with motorcycle riders, and injuries can be severe.
- Truck crashes: Motor vehicles are no match when it comes to a collision with an 80,000-pound big rig. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that the weight and size of a big truck cause fatalities and injuries in a crash.
- Pedestrian injuries: Pedestrian accidents often happen at intersections or at unmarked corners. The motorist is often speeding or has run a red light when a pedestrian is struck. Because of their vulnerability, the risk of serious injuries or fatalities is high.
- Bicycle crashes: Bike accidents caused by a negligent motorist can result in serious injuries. Traffic infractions are a common reason for collisions with a bike.
- Uber or Lyft accidents: Although these are less common, drivers for one of these common carriers can be struck by other motorists. In some cases, the driver may be negligent. When it results in injuries, the passenger may claim fair compensation.
- Dog bites: California has a high number of dog bites each year. Owners are required to keep their animals under control and leashed when in public. A negligent dog owner can be held responsible for injuries from bites or knocking over someone when injuries occur.
- Airplane crashes: Both commercial and private planes are expected to be maintained in good condition. In addition, the pilot and crew should be experienced and capable.
- Injuries caused by a government entity: Counties, cities, and states are required to maintain and repair faulty roads, parking lots, traffic lights and other problems. If a person is injured, they may have a claim against that government entity.
- Boating: Boating accidents happen because of negligence on the part of the owner, operator or rental company.
- Premises liability: Businesses and property owners must maintain properties to prevent accidents. Falls can be caused by cords, poor lighting on stairs or other conditions.
- Product liability: Design, manufacturing and other errors can lead to injuries. When this happens, the injured person may place a claim with the manufacturer and others for fair compensation.
- Public events: Festivals, fairs, and other public events must provide adequate security and use safety measures to protect patrons. Tainted food, unsafe rides, and other negligence can cause injuries.
- Drug errors: Drug errors by the manufacturer may include unsafe drugs or mistakes in labeling or packaging. Those who take the wrong medication may find their condition worsen or have a severe adverse effect.
- Faulty medical devices: Some medical devices have been recalled because they have been proven to be unsafe. However, some of these devices were implanted in many people, who are now suffering adverse effects. Financial compensation for those errors can be sought.
- Medical malpractice: Physician, hospital, health care worker and pharmacist errors and negligence can cause injuries. Misdiagnosis and being given the wrong medication are common problems.
- Workers’ compensation: Although most workplace injuries are handled through workers’ compensation, not all of them are. If a third party caused the accident injuries, an experienced lawyer could help you obtain compensation.
- Wildfire injuries and losses: Negligence such as faulty power lines can start a wildfire, causing devastating injuries or resulting in wrongful death. A McKinleyville injury lawyer may be able to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
- Wrongful death: A wrongful death is the loss of a loved one due to negligence or an intentional act. In cases such as these, the family may obtain compensation for that loss.
Following is a YouTube video I made on how to choose a personal injury lawyer:Questions That Are Frequently Asked
During my years as an injury lawyer, there are some questions that clients often ask. Some relating to McKinleyville include:
Q: Do you know of a good mechanic around McKinleyville?
A: Some of the mechanics near McKinleyville who are highly rated include:
2755 Central Ave
McKinleyville, CA 95519
Phone number: (707) 630-5015
2785 Central Ave
McKinleyville, CA 95519
Phone number: (707) 839-8337
550 South G St
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone number: (707) 599-2289
Q: Are there any highly rated car rental agencies near McKinleyville?
A: According to reviews on Yelp, some of the highly-rated car agencies in and around McKinleyville include:
350 I St
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone number: (707) 826-9090
110 5th St
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone number: (707) 443-3366McKinleyville Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a McKinleyville car accident and personal injury lawyer. Accidents cause pain and suffering, along with lost wages and expensive medical bills. When the negligence was the cause, I have free and friendly advice to offer you. I believe that those who are negligent and cause injuries should be the ones to pay. I can be reached at (707) 564-1900, or if you are outside the area, the toll-free line is (800) 404-5400. An online contact form is also available if you prefer.
:cd cha [cs 1205]
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 12.20.19]