Madera Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
As a Madera pedestrian accident lawyer, I’ve seen my fair share of these catastrophic incidents. Whether the accident causes injuries or robs a family of a loved one, I believe that no one should end up paying for the negligence of another. My law firm in Madera has experience in investigating pedestrian accidents and obtaining the compensation my clients deserve.
Let’s look at the causes of pedestrian accidents and how they are affected by speed and driver error. We’ll also examine the ways a Madera pedestrian accident attorney can help you obtain the damages you deserve.Do You Need a Lawyer for a Pedestrian Accident?
When a pedestrian is injured or killed due to the negligence of another, be it a driver or defects in the roadway or crosswalks, my office is ready to help. As a unit, we band together to take the burden of dealing with legal issues and insurance companies from our clients. We are determined that our clients will not pay both physically and financially for someone else’s mistake. Call us to schedule a free case review. Please, don’t try to do it alone when this type of tragedy strikes. Let us assist you in every way we can.Pedestrian Accidents Result in Catastrophic Injuries
Cars weigh roughly 3,000 pounds. This mass, combined with the speed at which the vehicle is traveling, can result in serious pedestrian injuries and deaths. The pedestrian lacks protection from outside elements while the occupants of a motor vehicle are encased in a steel frame that offers shelter from harm in the event of an accident. This can result in injured pedestrians spending weeks or months in the hospital and time in rehabilitation. Tragically, it can also result in a family losing a loved one.National Facts About Pedestrian Accidents Resulting in Injury or Death
- Statistically, 70 percent of the time, a pedestrian who is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle will die.
- The majority of fatal pedestrian accidents occur at night when a driver cannot visualize the pedestrian or is under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Most pedestrian accident injuries occur between 6:00 in the early morning hours and 6:00 in the evening.
- A large number of pedestrian accidents happen on Friday and Saturday, particularly at night.
- Pedestrian deaths reached their highest level in over 30 years in 2019. According to the Governors Highway Safety Administration, 6,570 people died in that year. This is 5 percent higher than the number reported in 2018.
- California is one of five states that account for 47 percent of walker deaths.
- The prevalence of trucks and SUVs on the road has been linked to an increase in pedestrian fatalities.
- Speeding is a common element of a Madera pedestrian accident. At 46 mph, there is a 90 percent chance the pedestrian will be seriously injured or killed. However, that risk decreases to 25 percent at 23 mph.
Pedestrian accidents vary greatly. Some of the more common types I’ve seen in my career as a Madera pedestrian accident lawyer are:
- Failure to yield: This is the most common type of pedestrian accident. It occurs when a pedestrian is crossing the street with or without a crosswalk. In California, a pedestrian has the right of way. Some motorists fail to comply with this rule and do not yield to the pedestrian. In this situation, the motorist is generally at fault for the accident.
- Crosswalk accidents: There are several reasons why crosswalk accidents happen. One involves the motorist who does not see the pedestrian in the crosswalk and continues through it without stopping. A big problem here is that drivers see what they expect to see. Another involves issues with the crosswalk timers and signs. If there is a malfunction here, an accident is more likely.
- Drunk drivers: Drinking and driving occurs more frequently than it should. This is also true of using drugs when getting behind the wheel. An inebriated driver is unable to comprehend distance, and their cognitive function is not working properly. This sets the stage for a pedestrian accident.
- Driving onto the sidewalk: Not all pedestrian accidents happen on the road. Sometimes, a driver veers up onto the sidewalk, striking a pedestrian. This occurs when a driver loses control over their vehicle, has a medical emergency, or is too drunk to drive. It can affect a pedestrian waiting for a bus, walking down the sidewalk, or waiting in line to pay their bill at a restaurant.
- Backup accidents: These happen when the motorist is driving around a parking lot, trying to back out or into their space or leaving their driveway. Bigger pickups or vehicles that are jacked up as well as SUVs have a hard time seeing a pedestrian, especially a child. Special care needs to be taken in these instances.
- Texting accidents: These pedestrian accidents occur when the motorist or the pedestrian is texting or talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to what is going on around them.
Watch the video below for tips on how to stay safe while out walking.What a Madera Pedestrian Accident Attorney Can Do for You
After an accident, the evidence must be gathered before it can disappear. Without proof that the accident was due to negligence on the part of another, the case will not be heard. That is why our personal injury law firm dispatches an investigative team to the accident site as soon as possible. They interview witnesses and obtain video views of the accident from traffic surveillance cameras. Our investigators also use accident reconstruction techniques to visualize the placement of the vehicles and the pedestrian before and after impact.
If the pedestrian was hit in a crosswalk, our investigators check the timing on the pedestrian traffic signal unit to make sure there was ample time to cross. We also determine if lights in the area are functioning properly since a lawsuit can also be lodged against the government entity in charge. Once this data is accumulated, our Madera pedestrian accident attorneys use it to construct a strong case for our clients.Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Madera
I’m Ed Smith, a Madera pedestrian accident lawyer. I can give you free and friendly advice if you were injured in a pedestrian accident or a family member was killed. Call me at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400. You can also reach out to me online if that is more convenient for you.
Please review the following pages to learn more about my practice:
I am honored to belong to the following organizations:
Image by Mabel Amber from Pixabay
:cd llo ds [cs 1,193]