Los Banos Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were hurt in a Los Banos bicycle accident and would like to discuss your legal options with an experienced injury attorney, call our law firm at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 to schedule a consultation for free, friendly legal advice now. There is no fee unless we win your bike crash case.
Bikes do not offer the same safety protections as motor vehicles. Bicycles are also narrow and small, impacting their overall visibility to oncoming traffic. Bicycle accident injuries and damages are often severe due to motorists' reaction times, and the size and weight of cars. At AutoAccident.com, our Los Banos bike collision lawyers represent injured cyclists in Merced County and other areas of California. Our team of attorneys can review your cycling crash claim and advise you of your potential legal options for recovery. If you were on a bike and hit by a car, call our law firm for free legal advice now.What are the Most Common Causes of Cycling Crashes?
Even with California laws and injury prevention information, collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles often occur. Some of the top causes of bike accidents include:
- Bicycle frames and component failures due to flaws or defects
- Crossing in front of cyclists
- Dangerous road conditions because of unsafe design or lack of maintenance
- Excessive speeding or traveling too fast for traffic or weather conditions
- Distracted driving through the use of cell phones, navigation systems, and anything that takes a driver’s attention away from the road
- Drivers operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to yield the right of way to bike riders
- Turning directly in front of a cyclist
- Unsafe passing or overtaking of a bicycle rider
Auto insurance generally covers cyclists who are hurt in a bicycle accident caused by driver negligence through bodily injury liability coverage or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) in California. This works because the insurance company representing the at-fault party pays for damages in a personal injury claim through bodily injury liability coverage. If the negligent driver has little to no insurance, then UM or UIM coverage may come into play for the injured cyclist, depending upon the circumstances of the incident. Hit and run accidents involving cyclists may also be covered under UM protection. If the bicycle rider did not have an active car insurance plan at the time of the cycling crash but lived with a relative who did, they may be able to file a UM or UIM against that policy. This is a potential option for bicycle accident injury recovery so long as the cyclist was not listed as an excluded member of the car insurance policy.Types of Damages in a Bicycle-Car Accident Insurance Claim
A cyclist who has suffered harm because of someone else’s negligence may bring a personal injury claim for losses incurred. In a bike accident injury case, a bicycle rider may seek recovery of economic and non-economic damages. Although no amount of money can undo the pain or restore a cyclist to their former state, financial compensation can help make them whole again and offer some security to their family. Depending on the circumstances of the bicycle injury claim, financial recovery may include:
- Past and future costs of medical treatment for bicycle accident injuries
- Lost wages for time missed at work to recover from cycling crash injuries or receive medical care after the accident
- Loss of future earning capacity if the at-fault party’s negligence resulted in a permanent disability that has left the cyclist unable to work in the future
- Property damage for the repair or replacement of a bicycle and personal belongings damaged in a bike collision
- Pain and suffering for the psychological distress and physical pain caused by the negligent party in the cycling crash
- Emotional distress if the injury incident caused post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, or other psychological symptoms
- Loss of consortium if the bike collision has caused damage to the injured cyclist’s marital relationship
- Lost enjoyment of life if the injured cyclist is unable to engage in activities and hobbies they enjoyed before the bike accident
- Wrongful death damages, including medical bills, funeral expenses, lost income, loss of future financial support, loss of companionship for survivors, and more.
All these emotional and financial costs can weigh heavily on the cyclist and their family. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a cycling crash because of another driver’s negligence, you may have the legal right to hold them financially accountable for your losses. Contact an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Los Banos to learn more today on the specific personal injury damages you may seek in a cycling crash claim. For details on how the value of a bike injury claim and compensatory damages may be affected by specific factors, watch this video.When to File a Cycling Crash Injury Claim in California?
The California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury claims two years from the cycling crash date that caused the bicycle accident injury. That means an injured cyclist must file a bike collision lawsuit seeking economic and non-economic damages within two years. If a government entity is involved in a bicycle injury claim, the time limits are shortened to six months or 180 days. An experienced Los Banos bicycle accident attorney can ensure the appropriate notices of claims are filed in Merced County.Importance of Working with an Injury Lawyer After a Bicycle Accident
If you or a loved one were hit by a vehicle while riding a bike, you may be entitled to compensation for economic and non-economic damages. To help you understand your legal rights as a cyclist, the Los Banos bicycle accident lawyers at AutoAccident.com are ready to help. Contact our bicycle accident law firm to assist you with your personal injury claim and protect your best interests from difficult insurance companies. Our attorneys can help obtain a favorable outcome for your bicycle accident lawsuit by:
- Conducting an independent investigation of the cycling crash
- Helping you understand California laws on bicycle accidents
- Protecting your legal rights throughout the claims process
- Collecting, preserving, and presenting compelling evidence to prove your cycling crash claim
- Requesting the CHP traffic accident report for your crash
- Interviewing medical expert witnesses and bike accident reconstruction experts
- Calculating the full and fair value of your bicycle accident injury claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Taking your case to court if all attempts at fair negotiations fail with the insurance company
After getting hit by a car while riding a bicycle and recovering from injuries, it may be challenging to take on the burden of proof. Working with an experienced bike accident attorney in Los Banos can help you understand your legal rights while protecting you from insurance companies and the defense tactics they use to downplay the value of bicycle injury claims. For more details on the services our law firm provides, contact our legal team today for a free consultation.
Image Source: By WilliamSinclair via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1277] cha