Lockeford Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
As an unincorporated community in San Joaquin County, Lockeford is home to over 3,200 people. Located along Highway 88 just east of Lodi, Lockeford continues to grow. With expansion comes the chances of car accidents. These often involve emotional and physical trauma that leads to financial hardship for the injured person and the family.
When an accident is caused by someone else's negligence, an experienced attorney can help the injured individual recover the compensation they need and deserve. Call our skilled Lockeford personal injury lawyers today at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for a free case evaluation.What is a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury is any physical, emotional, or mental harm that has resulted from the reckless, careless, or negligent actions of another party or entity. Some types of accident cases our law firm handles include the following:
- Bicycle Crashes
- Car Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Products Liability
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Motorcycle Collisions
- Premises Liability
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Slip and Fall
- Truck Crashes
- Wrongful Death
Compensation in a personal injury claim is intended to place the injured individual in the position they would have been in had the accident not occurred. Therefore, a fair offer for settlement will consider the current and projected costs for all accident-related expenses, including economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Disfigurement: Visible injuries or scarring can be overwhelming for injured people and their families, especially if it is severe and obvious. A disfigurement can decrease self-esteem, cause a loss of quality of life, and result in psychological damage. An injured person may seek reimbursement for cosmetic surgery costs to revise the scarring and the embarrassment and humiliation suffered by that disfigurement.
- Loss of Consortium: A claim for loss of consortium may be placed by the injured person and their spouse to deprive the emotional elements of marriage. This includes loss of comfort, affection, companionship, and sexual relations. The inability to conceive children may also be considered through this damage.
- Lost Wages: If a person has missed time from work to recover from an injury or attend a medical appointment, they may be able to be reimbursed for that time lost. An experienced Lockeford personal injury attorney can help calculate wage loss. An attorney may also hire an economist to calculate future lost earnings due to a permanent disability.
- Medical Expenses: An injured person is entitled to recover all necessary and reasonable medical expenses incurred in the future due to the injuries suffered in the crash. The costs for transportation to and from medical appointments may also be considered for recovery.
- Pain and Suffering: The emotional and physical pain associated with a traumatic injury. It includes the affliction, discomfort, aches, and other pain from the injury. Damages for pain and suffering are intended to make an injured person whole again. However, quantifying pain and suffering is often complicated as each person's tolerance for trauma differs.
- Permanent Disability: If a severe injury leads to permanent disability, the injured individual may seek compensation for costs related to the disability. This type of damage considers the lifestyle accommodations made necessary by the disability, including assisted living arrangements and medical appliances such as a brace, walker, or wheelchair.
- Property Damage: Injured people may seek reimbursement for damage to property caused by the negligent party's actions. For instance, a cyclist or pedestrian may be compensated for repairing or replacing damaged glasses, clothing, or watches.
- Punitive Damages: Unlike economic or non-economic damages, punitive damages do not compensate the injured person for their losses. Instead, they are designed to punish the negligent party for an egregious act such as drunk driving and prevent them from engaging in similar conduct in the future. These are generally awarded if the injured individual can prove that the at-fault party acted willfully in a particularly reckless, malicious, or fraudulent manner. Refer to California Civil Code Section 3294 for more information.
Several types of insurance are available to pay for injuries sustained in an accident. This would include the other motorist's bodily injury liability insurance if they were responsible for the crash. If the damages exceed that driver's insurance policy limits or that motorist does not have insurance, a claim may be filed against the injured person's car insurance.
This is possible if they have uninsured/underinsured motorist protection. This type of coverage is there to protect you and members of your household if you are involved in a car wreck caused by someone who does not have enough coverage or does not have insurance. Depending on the insurance policy's language, this coverage may also pay for damages resulting from a hit-and-run accident.
Even though the claim will be handled by your insurance company, this does not necessarily mean they have your best interests in mind. Insurers often look for any detail that may undervalue your injury case or deny it altogether.
For this reason, hiring a Lockeford car accident lawyer is essential to ensure your right to recovery is protected.
Watch the video below to learn what to look for in an accident attorney.How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
There is a specific time limit for filing a personal injury claim, known as the statute of limitations. In California, there is a two-year window to file for personal injury. However, certain circumstances may shorten or extend the statute. For example, when a personal injury claim involves a minor, they have two years to file after their 18th birthday. Conversely, claims involving government negligence have a statute of six months or 180 days from the time of loss.Can I Afford a Personal Injury Lawyer for My Accident Case?
Many people injured in a car wreck are hesitant to start a legal case due to the cost of hiring a Lockeford personal injury lawyer. This reluctance may reduce an injured person's recovery for personal injury damages caused by negligent parties.
An injury lawyer who handles cases on a contingent fee basis can provide injured individual and their family the legal representation they need when finances are limited. An attorney's fee is only collected if a favorable outcome is obtained in the case.How Can an Attorney Help with My Car Accident?
A personal injury case often involves careful consideration of the circumstances and facts of the accident and complicated calculations of the injured person's losses. In these situations, contacting an experienced attorney for assistance is essential.
A skilled injury lawyer can help gather evidence of your injuries and the accident, interview witnesses, hire experts, identify possible claims, and advocate your case in court if all attempts at a fair settlement fail.Call Our Personal Injury Attorneys in Lockeford, CA
An accident's mental, emotional, and physical trauma can be challenging to overcome. However, when the accident is caused by the negligence of another person or entity, the injured individual may be able to seek financial compensation for their losses. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to someone else's fault, we are here to provide free, friendly case advice. Please call our experienced Lockeford personal injury lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 11.1.22]
Photograph Source: By RawPixel via Pixabay
:ds cha [cs 1275]