Lincoln Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Riding a motorcycle in Lincoln, California, is a thrilling experience for those who love the freedom and excitement of the open road. The area boasts picturesque landscapes, with rolling hills and winding roads that provide a challenging and exciting ride for motorcyclists. The mild climate and dry weather make it an ideal location for year-round riding. The city also hosts several motorcycle events and rallies, such as the Thunder Valley Rally and the Lincoln Bike Fest, which bring together riders from all over the region.
However, riding a motorcycle comes with significant risks. Because of the size of motorcycles, it's common for drivers of motor vehicles to miss seeing a motorcycle. In addition, the lack of protection between the rider and the pavement increases the chance of suffering broken bones, head and brain injuries, or even death.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle crash in Lincoln or other parts of Placer County due to someone's negligence, call our experienced California motorcycle accident attorneys at (916) 921-6400 for a free case evaluation.Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Lincoln, CA
The rates of motorcycles accidents across the country, including Lincoln, are higher than they should be. While some accidents are unavoidable, many collisions involving motorcycles are preventable and result in unnecessary injury to the parties involved.
Causes of accidents involving motorcycles include:
- Design Defects: The motorcycle may have an intrinsic flaw in its design. Many times, a recall might be issued for that specific motorcycle model. Problems with motorcycle manufacturing could impact any part of the vehicle, ranging from the brakes to the engine and everything in between. This can impact how the motorcycle drives on the road, stops short of obstacles and responds to driver commands. These design defects could lead to otherwise avoidable accidents that damage the rider, passengers, and other people involved.
- Roadway Issues: Motorcycles are smaller than cars, making them more susceptible to forces on the road. This includes potholes, obstacles, and curves. For example, a motorcycle could go over a pothole at high speed if a pothole in the street goes unrepaired. This could impact the wheel, damage the tire, and bend the rim. This impact could also knock the rider off-balance, leading to a wreck involving traumatic injuries.
- Negligent Drivers: Other drivers on the road could be distracted or careless driving. This could involve texting while driving, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or driving while fatigued. All of these factors could cause the driver of another vehicle to miss the presence of a motorcycle on the road. Ultimately, these factors increase the chance of a motorcycle accident, potentially leading to injuries.
Because of the lack of a metal frame separating the driver from the pavement, motorcycle accidents cause serious injuries and fatalities at an unacceptably high rate. Examples of common injuries from motorcycle collisions include:
- Road Rash: This is the colloquial term given to removing skin from the body of a motorcycle rider or passenger. As someone skids across the pavement, their skin gets caught on the road and could slough off of their body. When this happens, major blood loss and opportunistic infections can occur.
- Bone Fractures: It's not unusual for motorcycle accidents to result in serious bone fractures, ranging from femur fractures to humerus fractures and even damage to internal organs. Depending on the location of the injury, a patient could wind up hospitalized or require surgery.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Everyone riding a motorcycle should always wear a helmet. If someone's head strikes the pavement at high speed, this could result in a skull fracture, cerebral contusion, or even intracranial hemorrhaging. These are life-threatening traumatic brain injuries that merit emergent medical attention.
Even with proper medical care, it is possible that these injuries could result in chronic comorbidities. Anyone involved in a motorcycle accident should ensure that they receive prompt medical attention, maximizing the potential of a positive outcome.Financial Stress after a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you and your family could face an uncertain financial future. The cost of hospitalizations involving surgical procedures is high. Even if you have health insurance, your plan could have a large deductible. This alone can create financial stress. Furthermore, some plans limit the number of benefits a policyholder can receive during their lifetime. If this is reached, you could be forced to pay the remaining balance. For this reason, it is essential to understand the intricacies of their health insurance policy.
Even after you have been discharged from the hospital, you could require an extensive rehabilitation course to help restore some of the lost motor and sensory functions after a serious accident. On the other hand, these rehab visits can be expensive, and some health insurance plans will not cover them. Families involved in a severe motorcycle accident may find it helpful to talk to an experienced legal professional.
The video below explains how a California motorcycle accident lawyer works on a contingency fee.Lincoln Motorcycle Accident FAQ
How can I prove fault in a motorcycle crash?
It's a common misconception that motorcyclists are careless commuters who disregard traffic laws. That is why you need to prove another party was responsible for the accident if you want to recover compensation. It is essential to document all evidence of the accident. Take pictures of videos of the crash site, take down the other driver's information, and keep all medical records. These things will help you prove liability and ensure you get fair compensation.
How much is my motorcycle accident claim worth?
Since every motorcycle accident is unique, the claims are not the same. While someone in one accident may walk away with a 7-figure settlement, others will get only a few thousand dollars. Recoverable damages are determined by the extent of your injury, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. That's why hiring an experienced motorcycle accident attorney is essential to review your case and help you determine your claim's value.
Work with Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Lincoln, California
Motorcycles are a popular mode of transportation that involves inherent risks. If you suffered an injury in a collision as a motorcyclist, call our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers in Lincoln, California, at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
We are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.
See a list of our past cases on our verdicts and settlements page.
Editor's Note: updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 4.6.23]
Photo by KML from Pexels
:dr bw [ CS 1114]