Lincoln Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Lincoln is known for its picturesque weather throughout the entire year. This climate creates a wonderful opportunity for motorcyclists everywhere. Whether motorcycles are your preferred commuting method or if they are simply a fun pastime, riding down the streets of Lincoln is an enjoyable experience. However, riding a motorcycle comes with significant risks. Because of the size of motorcycles, it’s common for drivers of motor vehicles to miss seeing a motorcycle.
In addition, the lack of protection between the rider and the pavement increases the chance of suffering broken bones, head, and brain injuries, or even death. Because of this, everyone riding a motorcycle should make sure to wear a helmet while riding down the road.Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Lincoln, California
The rates of motorcycles accidents across the country, including Lincoln, are higher than they should be. While some accidents are unavoidable, many collisions involving motorcycles are preventable and result in unnecessary injury to the parties involved.
Causes of accidents involving motorcycles include:
- Design Defects: The motorcycle may have an intrinsic flaw in its design. Many times, there might be a recall issued for that specific model of motorcycle. Problems with the manufacturing of the motorcycle could impact any part of the vehicle, ranging from the brakes to the engine and everything in between. This can impact how the motorcycle drives on the road, stops short of obstacles and responds to driver commands. These design defects could lead to otherwise avoidable accidents that damage the rider, passengers, and other people involved.
- Roadway Issues: Motorcycles are smaller than cars, making them more susceptible to forces on the road. This includes potholes, obstacles, and curves. For example, if a pothole in the road goes unrepaired, a motorcycle could go over the pothole at high speed. This could impact the wheel, damage the tire, and bend the rim. This impact could also knock the rider off-balance, leading to a wreck involving traumatic injuries.
- Negligent Drivers: Other drivers on the road could be engaging in distracted or negligent driving. This could involve texting while driving, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or driving while fatigued. All of these factors could cause the driver of another vehicle to miss the presence of a motorcycle on the road. Ultimately, these factors increase the chance that a motorcycle accident develops, potentially leading to injuries.
Because of the lack of a metal frame separating the driver from the pavement, motorcycle accidents cause serious injuries and fatalities at an unacceptably high rate. Examples of common injuries from motorcycle collisions include:
- Road Rash: This is the colloquial term given to removing skin from the body of a motorcycle rider or passenger. As someone skids across the pavement, their skin gets caught on the road and could slough off of their body. When this happens, major blood loss and opportunistic infections can occur.
- Bone Fractures: It’s not unusual for motorcycle accidents to result in serious bone fractures, ranging from femur fractures to humerus fractures and even damage to internal organs. Depending on the location of the injury, a patient could wind up hospitalized or require surgery.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Everyone riding a motorcycle should always wear a helmet. If someone’s head strikes the pavement at high speed, this could result in a skull fracture, cerebral contusion, or even intracranial hemorrhaging. These are life-threatening traumatic brain injuries that merit emergent medical attention.
Even with proper medical care, it is possible that these injuries could result in chronic comorbidities. Anyone who has been involved in a motorcycle accident should ensure that they receive prompt medical attention. This will maximize the potential of a positive outcome.Financial Stress After a Motorcycle Accident
If someone has been involved in a motorcycle accident, their family could face an uncertain financial future. The cost of hospitalizations involving surgical procedures is high. Even if a family has health insurance, their plan could have a large deductible. This alone can create financial stress. Furthermore, some plans limit the number of benefits a policyholder can receive during their lifetime. If this is reached, the family could be forced to pay the remaining balance. For this reason, everyone needs to understand the intricacies of their health insurance policy.
Even after someone has been discharged from the hospital, they could require an extensive rehabilitation course. This is important because it can help restore some of the lost motor and sensory functions after a serious accident. On the other hand, these rehab visits can be expensive, and some health insurance plans will not cover them. Families who have been involved in a serious motorcycle accident may find it helpful to talk to an experienced legal professional.
The video below explains how a motorcycle accident lawyer works on a contingency fee.Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Lincoln, CA
Motorcycles are a popular mode of transportation that involves inherent risks. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a motorcycle, please call our experienced Lincoln, CA motorcycle accident attorneys at 916.921.6400 or 800.404.5400 for free, friendly advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.12.21]
Photo by KML from Pexels
:dr bw [ CS 1018]