Lemon Hill Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Even though it is a comfortably sized town to provide the advantages of urban living, accidents still occur, especially along the highways. If a negligent driver caused the accident, an experienced Lemon Hill personal injury lawyer could help them recover financial compensation.How a Lemon Hill Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
After an accident, many people face not only physical but financial problems. Mounting medical costs and losing time at work can cause a strain on the family. I’ve had to deal with several severe injuries myself and understand how worry can take hold. Because of your situation, there are those who are willing to try and take advantage. This can be an insurance company making a low offer that won’t cover your expenses, or the negligent driver refusing to take responsibility for their actions. This is where I step in as a Lemon Hill personal injury attorney. From dealing with insurers to investigating your crash or preparing for trial, my client is my focus. Knowing that someone is working on getting the compensation you need and has your best interests in mind can ease that worry.What Is a Claim for a Personal Injury?
Personal injuries are those that occur through negligence. In other words, the individual would not have suffered an injury if that other person or entity had used a standard of care that others would have. Personal injuries must include physical harm, but mental and emotional damage may be included. Following are the different areas in which a personal injury may occur:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: These types of accidents are often due to a negligent driver who is speeding, driving distracted, or too fatigued to be behind the wheel of a car. As a Lemon Hill car accident lawyer, I’ve handled many of these cases.
- Bicycle Crashes: Negligent motorists are often the cause of bicycle crashes, especially when making a right turn at an intersection. Backing out of driveways without looking for bicycle riders is another cause.
- Motorcycle Collisions: A motorist making a left turn in front of a motorcyclist is the most common cause of these accidents.
- Truck Accidents: Poorly trained drivers, speeding, and lack of maintenance can lead to an accident with a big truck. Underride/override accidents often cause fatalities to another motorist.
- Uber/Lyft Accidents: Accidents while using a ride-sharing service can result in a personal injury.
- Common Carriers: Common carriers such as buses and trains are responsible for safely taking their passengers to their destinations. If someone is injured in an accident, a personal injury lawyer can determine if negligence was involved.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians often suffer severe injuries in an accident because of their lack of protection. Intersections are common locations for pedestrian accidents caused by negligent motorists.
- Dog Bites: Dog owners in California are required to keep their animals on a leash or contained to avoid injuries to others. If a dog bites or injures someone, they may claim fair compensation.
- Premises Liability: Slips and falls can cause injuries if a property owner or government entity is negligent.
- Products Liability: Products are expected to be safe if used as directed. If a product is defective, the manufacturer and others can be held accountable.
- Medical Device Defects: Defective medical devices can worsen a patient’s outcome and require further surgeries to repair. The company can be held responsible for the expenses and pain and suffering due to medical device defects.
- Defective Drugs: Insufficient warning labels or placing the wrong medication or dosage in the package can cause serious harm or a fatality.
- Wildfires: When someone is injured in a wildfire that was caused by negligence, they can claim financial compensation.
- Wrongful Death: Wrongful death occurs when negligence on the part of another was the cause. The family may pursue a claim for compensation for that loss.
To be awarded compensation for a personal injury, the injured party must prove negligence. While this might sound complicated, only the four following things must be shown:
- The person or entity who caused the injury had a duty of care. In other words, they had a legal obligation to be careful not to harm someone.
- The person or entity breached that duty: The person or entity who caused the injury did not act in a way that prevented the harm.
- The actions of the person or entity caused the injury: For example, the motorist who caused an accident was speeding or drunk driving, which led to the crash injury. A seasoned Lemon Hill auto accident lawyer can build a strong case for compensation.
- The injured person sustained a financial loss: Evidence and documentation must be presented that proves the injured person suffered a financial loss. This can be shown through medical costs, lost wages, and noneconomic damages such as pain and suffering.
Damages in a personal injury include economic and noneconomic losses. Economic refers to monetary losses such as medical bills. Noneconomic losses are for intangibles, such as the pain of the trauma that was experienced. Recoverable damages may include:
- Medical costs: Ambulance, hospitalization, doctor bills, and anything else associated with the injury can be recovered. This includes medical tests, rehabilitation, a home health care aide, and others.
- Out of Pocket Costs: These are expenses related to the injury. They may include medications, travel to and from the doctor and wheelchairs or other needed devices. The cost of making changes to a home to enable a disabled person to function are also covered, such as ramps or alterations to a bathroom.
- Lost Wages: Monies lost because the injured person is unable to work are recoverable. Those who are self-employed may also claim lost wages. Proof of income has to be shown.
- Loss of Future Income: Some people are so severely injured they can no longer work. The loss of future wages, expected bonuses, and other losses if the person cannot return to work can be recovered. A specialist in vocational rehabilitation can support their claim by testifying as an expert witness. The limitations of the injured person are assessed by this witness, which includes doing cognitive and dexterity testing and evaluating their physical and/or mental limitations.
- Noneconomic Damages: These types of losses refer to pain and suffering the person experienced. It can also include humiliation or embarrassment from scarring or disfigurement. Loss of enjoyment of life is recoverable due to a person’s inability to perform functions they did before the accident such as gardening, skiing, or others.
- Damage to Personal Relationships: The loss of consortium with a spouse, along with love, protection, moral support, and other intangibles can be recovered in a personal injury. Damage to the relationship with the family’s children is also recoverable.
- Emotional Distress: Some people who are in a motor vehicle accident develop post-traumatic stress disorder afterward. According to the Mayo Clinic, PTSD presents various symptoms such as nightmares, flashbacks, depression, and severe anxiety. To collect damages for PTSD, the injured person must require the services of a medical professional to cope with and treat the symptoms.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is lost because of negligence, family members who were supported by the decedent by at least 50 percent may claim fair compensation. This can pay for funeral and burial expenses, lost future income, loss of inheritance, and much more.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are not often awarded in California because malice, fraud, or oppression has to be involved. They can be awarded in intentional deaths or when drunk driving is involved.
If you are looking for a Lemon Hill car accident lawyer to help you recover financial compensation, finding the right one is essential. This can be a daunting task since there are so many to choose from. Learning about a lawyer both professionally and personally is helpful. This can let you find out what lawyer would be the best fit for your case. Following are some valuable tips on what to look for in a personal injury lawyer:
- Look for a lawyer who practices personal injury law exclusively.
- Find a lawyer with compassion, who is interested in you and your family, not just in your case. That way, you will know that they will work hard toward getting you the compensation you need.
- Choose a lawyer who is professional and experienced.
- While smaller law firms may be fine, keep in mind that a larger one has the financial wherewithal to pursue a case in court.
- Check online client reviews on whether the lawyer is recommended and does an excellent job of communicating with their clients.
- Look over the lawyer’s website for information that pertains to your case.
- Check the lawyer’s education and associations they belong to.
- Look for comprehensive knowledge of personal injury law such as published papers or books or television appearances.
Watch the following video on how to choose a personal injury lawyer:About Personal Injury Law
I believe that no one should have to pay for injuries that were caused by another’s negligence. This is one of the reasons I decided to practice personal injury law. My approach is holistic. I believe that an accident injury not only affects the person but can impact the entire family financially, making life difficult.Lemon Hill FAQ
Can you recommend an auto mechanic around Lemon Hill?
Yelp reviews have recommendations for several good mechanics, including:
8000 Clifton Rd
Sacramento, CA 95826
F & M Auto Repair
5350 Franklin Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95820
Are There Good Car Rental Agencies in the Lemon Hill area?
Yelp has several listings in the area for good car rental agencies near Lemon Hill, including the following:
5941 Power Inn Rd.
Sacramento, CA 95824
Hertz Rent A Car
6455 Franklin Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95823
I’m Ed Smith, a Lemon Hill car accident lawyer. Suffering an injury due to someone’s negligence can leave you with mounting bills in addition to the pain. If you have been injured in an auto accident caused by a careless driver, selecting a high-rated Lemon Hill personal injury lawyer is an essential decision to make. You want an injury attorney who can help you get fair compensation for your injuries and damages. Please call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 9.18.20]
Photo Attribution: Image by Leobert from Pixabay
:cd cha [cs 2148]