Lathrop Brain Injury Lawyer
I'm Ed Smith, a Lathrop Brain Injury Lawyer. Injuries can happen anywhere at any time. Whenever someone gets behind the wheel of a car, serious injuries could occur in an accident. Someone can even sustain a severe injury walking up or down the stairs. Among the different injuries that someone could wind up with, a traumatic brain injury is one of the most serious. When a loved one suffers a brain injury, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future. Fortunately, there has been a lot of research in the world of brain injuries over the past few decades. This has led to a lot of new diagnostic and treatment modalities. However, a traumatic brain injury is still severe. A few of the statistics based on the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) regarding brain injuries include:
- On an annual basis in the United States, more than 1.7 million individuals will suffer a traumatic brain injury.
- Close to 1.5 million of these people will require a trip to the emergency room.
- Over a quarter of a million people will need to spend time in the hospital.
- Of these injuries, more than 50,000 of them will result in death.
Clearly, traumatic brain injuries are serious, and people should know a few of the critical facts about traumatic brain injuries.An Overview: Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Everyone should know that there are many different ways that someone could sustain a traumatic brain injury. According to the CDC, some of the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Slip and Fall Injuries: Accounting for more than a third of traumatic brain injuries, it is easy for someone to slip, fall, and strike their head on the ground. This can lead to a concussion or even a skull fracture.
- Auto Accidents: When someone is involved in an auto accident, his or her head could strike the steering wheel or the dashboard. When this happens, a cerebral contusion could occur. This is where part of the brain tissue is bruised in the accident.
- Physical Assault: Unfortunately, crime is still an issue and a gunshot or knife wound could lead to a severe brain injury. If a brain bleed occurs, a new treatment could be required to save someone's life.
Depending on the severity of the injury, the treatment will change. For some injuries, such as mild concussions, the treatment may not entail anything more than observation. Someone could be watched to ensure that they do not develop any severe symptoms. If they appear stable, they could be sent home without any further intervention. However, if someone has sustained a more serious injury, some of the treatments could include:
- Blood Pressure Medication: When someone has suffered a serious head injury, it is essential to make sure that the blood pressure in the brain is stable. If the blood pressure is too low, the brain could be deprived of valuable oxygen. If it is too high, the brain tissue could start to swell. This could also make a potential brain bleed worse.
- Mannitol: This is a medication that is used to keep the pressure inside of the skull low. If the pressure inside of the skull rises too much, such as from brain swelling, a cerebral herniation could result. Some of these herniations result in death.
- Emergent Surgery: In some cases, emergent surgery could be needed to save someone's life. When someone needs emergent pressure reduction or has a bleed that needs to be stopped, a neurosurgeon is called. The surgeon will remove a portion of the skull, called a craniotomy, to allow the brain to swell without it herniating. Then, when the swelling reduces, the skull flap will be replaced.
It is essential for everyone to know that every brain injury is treated differently. Treatment options are determined on a case by case basis.Assistance from a Lawyer
When someone has suffered a traumatic brain injury, it is important to seek the care of a medical professional as quickly as possible. The earlier this injury is treated, the more of the brain tissue a doctor might be able to save. Once this has been done, there are other places people can turn to as well. For families who are looking for assistance, meeting with an experienced Lathrop brain injury lawyer can be helpful. It is important to make sure that every aspect of the injury has been investigated and a lawyer can make sure that no detail is left behind.
- Functional Loss Associated with Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Prognosis after Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Risk Factors for a Traumatic Brain Injury
I am proud to be a lawyer in the California chapter of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
You're welcome to look at our verdicts and settlements page.
:dr [cs 896]
Image Attribution: The image at the top of the page was found on Pixabay. It has been used here under the CC0 Creative Commons License.