Keyes Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Walking is one of the best ways to get around in a small city like Keyes. It is expected to see Keyes residents walk along Lucinda Avenue or 10th Street to get to Bonita Ranch Park. However, pedestrian accidents often happen, even in a small towns. Most pedestrian accidents happen because a negligent driver wasn't paying attention or violated a traffic law. When a pedestrian injury occurs due to a motorist's negligence, the injured individual can claim compensation for damages and losses.Top Causes of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Many pedestrian accidents in Keyes and Stanislaus County are caused by drivers who don't take the necessary safety precautions to prevent crashes. This means that even pedestrians using marked crosswalks and obeying traffic laws are still hit by careless drivers. Common causes of pedestrian collisions include:
- Distracted driving: Talking on the phone, texting, or navigating the GPS system distracts the driver from focusing on the road.
- Speeding: Drivers who are speeding cannot stop in time when a pedestrian is in their path.
- Drunk driving: Motorists under the influence exhibit slow reflexes and poor judgment, making them unsafe on the road.
- Failure to yield: A pedestrian has the right of way while crossing the street in a crosswalk. A driver who fails to yield can seriously injure a walker.
- Red-light runners: Drivers who run a red light or stop sign often cause severe injuries to bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Government negligence: Malfunctioning traffic signals, poor lighting, and overgrown shrubbery create a danger for everyone, including those traversing on foot.
California drivers and pedestrians must follow traffic laws to stay safe and keep others safe on the road. If a pedestrian is hit by a car, the injuries can be catastrophic. Some of the most frequent types of injuries suffered in a pedestrian accident include:
Despite a 30 percent decrease in traffic accidents in 2020, pedestrian deaths have increased. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, over 6,700 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in 2020. That's up about five percent from the year before.
Watch the following YouTube video to understand why pedestrian accident fatalities are rising.10 Tips to Help Pedestrians Remain Safe
One of the best ways to stay safe as a pedestrian is to follow all the laws. According to California statutes, there are certain expectations for pedestrians. Below are ten tips to help pedestrians stay safe while walking:
- Obey all traffic signals.
- Do not suddenly walk or run into the path of a vehicle.
- Walk on a sidewalk if it is available.
- Walk facing traffic in areas with no sidewalks.
- Be extra careful at intersections.
- Cross the street in a marked crosswalk.
- Avoid texting and looking at your phone while walking.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol before going for a walk.
- Wear bright and reflective clothing to make yourself more visible.
- Carry a flashlight at night.
Even if you follow all the rules above, an accident can still occur. Call our Keyes personal injury attorney for assistance if you are injured in a pedestrian accident.Recovering Compensation from a Pedestrian Accident
With the help of a top-rated Keyes injury lawyer, you can obtain fair compensation for your damages, which is often much higher than if you try pursuing the injury claim on your own. Because insurance companies are in the business of making a profit, they usually offer a low-ball settlement, hoping you will accept right away.
Because some California laws on pedestrians' rights and duties are ambiguous, insurance companies can use them to deny your claim. At AutoAccident.com, our legal team knows how to deal with the insurance company's tactics and help you get the compensation you deserve. If negotiations are unsuccessful, we will fight for your rights and take your case to civil court.Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Keyes, CA
Since 1982, our Keyes law firm has assisted injured individuals in obtaining the compensation they deserve when injured in an accident. If you or a family member has been hurt in an accident while walking, contact our pedestrian accident attorneys in Keyes at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice on your case.
Editor's Note: updated 11.22.23 Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels cha [cs 731]