I’ve been in a car wreck. What sources are available to pay my medical bills?
Good question. Actually there are many possibilities.
- First, if you have Med-pay insurance on your own auto policy, that’s the best place to start. Most auto policies have medpay which pays up to a certain amount (Typically $5,000 or $10,000) no matter who is at fault in an accident.
- Secondly, if you are a passenger in someone else’s car, there may be more than one Medpay policy that can pay. The driver of the car you were in as well as the medpay on your own car.
- Third, you may have insurance thru a health plan where you work.
- Fourth, you may be eligible for Medicare or Medicaid or other public health insurance to help pay your bills.
- Fiifth, if you were “on the job”, Workers Compensation will pay your medical bills.
- Sixth, if you have private health care coverage or Obamacare, they will pay medical bills.
- Finally, if all else fails, the medical doctors or chiropractors involved may take a lien, where the other party is at fault.