Ione Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle riders have a unique challenge not faced by motor vehicle drivers. Not only are bicycle riders more difficult to spot by others on the road, but they also do not have the protections afforded those surrounded by a metal shell, wearing seat belts, and having the advantage of airbags. For this reason, a bicycle rider involved in a collision with a motor vehicle often suffers severe injuries. When the reason for that injury is due to a negligent driver, they may recover financial compensation to pay for medical bills, time spent away from work, and other expenses associated with the accident.Bicycle Accident Attorney in Ione
Bicycle injuries can be severe and permanently change the life of the rider. By contacting a compassionate personal injury lawyer when accident injuries happen, those who are injured can be helped to get maximum compensation to pay their medical bills, lost time from work, and other damages.
To find out how our Ione bicycle accident lawyers can help, call us for a free and friendly consultation at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accident injuries occur in the extremities, legs, and arms. Some are superficial injuries such as road rash, abrasions, and lacerations. Other traumatic injuries require hospitalization and can cause temporary or permanent disability.
- Head injuries may include concussion, skull fracture, and intracranial hemorrhage, such as traumatic brain injuries. TBIs can cause a permanent change in cognitive function and personality changes. Those with traumatic brain injuries may require lifetime care.
- Eye and other facial injuries can range from facial fractures to damage to eyes and teeth. Some may require plastic surgery to repair and cause scarring or disfigurement.
- Chest trauma can include bruising, fractured ribs, or a punctured lung.
- Musculoskeletal injuries cover a wide range, from strains or dislocated joints to bone fractures.
- Spinal injuries include nerve damage, chronic pain, damage to discs, or even partial or complete paralysis. Spinal cord injuries can result in permanent disability.
- Abdominal injuries can result in internal bleeding or damage to internal organs such as the spleen, bowel, or pancreas. Injuries to the spleen are the most common accident injuries of this type.
In 2016, 835 bicycle riders died, an increase of 1 percent from the previous year. California leads among the states with the most fatalities, despite measures to increase safety for bicycle riders by putting in designated lanes and other safety measures. In 2015, the number of injured bicycle riders numbered about 45,000, although these represent only those who sought medical treatment for their injuries. The actual number is probably much higher. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, bicycle riders compose about 2 percent of deaths in traffic accidents every year.
The following video from AAA provides some safe bicycling tips for adults.Liability in Ione Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents have many causes. Among them are road defects caused by poor road maintenance, and a smaller percentage may be due to a defect in the bicycle. However, drivers commit errors that result in accidents a high percentage of the time. When they are at fault in a collision, the injuries suffered by the rider can be compensated financially. Following are some of the reasons a driver may be negligent:
- Distracted driving is a major cause of collisions with bicyclists. This may be from talking or texting on the phone.
- Drinking and driving contribute to many rear-end collisions with bicycle riders.
- Speeding by drivers is another major cause of accidents involving bicycles. Even if the driver finally spots the bike rider, the rate of speed makes it too late for the driver to stop.
- Not yielding the right of way causes bicycle accidents. Failure to yield by turning in front of a bicycle rider is negligence.
If you've been injured in a bicycle accident or have lost a loved one due to another party's negligence, our law firm can offer free, friendly advice. Call our Ione bicycle accident lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for your questions and a case review. You can recover in peace knowing that your injury expenses will be covered.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 10.9.23] Photo by PhotoMIX Ltd. from Pexels cd ds [cs 721]