Grass Valley Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Walking can be dangerous when vehicles are involved. Pedestrian deaths account for a large percentage of all vehicle accident fatalities that occur in Nevada County. Some of these pedestrian accidents are hit and runs.
Pedestrian accidents occur when someone is hit by a car, a large truck, a motorcycle, or even a bicycle. While pedestrian accidents are sometimes caused by pedestrian negligence, most accidents are the cause of careless drivers, which include:
- Disobeying crossing guards
- Failing to look both ways
- Failing to obey speed limits
- Failing to yield to pedestrians
- Not stopping at a crosswalk
- Not using headlights at dark
- Running red lights or stop signs
Distracted or careless driving is known as negligence in the legal industry. A negligent driver is someone who fails to exercise reasonable care to avoid hitting a pedestrian. The law states that drivers owe a duty of care to pedestrians who are crossing the street or walking on the sidewalks. When a driver violates driving laws, pedestrians' lives are at risk.Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are not protected by the safety features of a car like airbags, seatbelts, and walls of steel. They are also not wearing safety gear like bicyclists or motorcyclists. That's why pedestrians are vulnerable during an accident, even in slow-speed collisions, and often suffer serious injuries. Some common injuries that pedestrians suffer include:
These injuries can leave people with life-long health issues. Recovering from a pedestrian injury can be challenging and usually takes months or even years. In severe incidents, crash survivors are often left with injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives.
Being injured is not only painful and mentally stressful but can also affect your ability to work or participate in activities you enjoy doing. For the vast majority, this means suffering a significant loss of income as well as experiencing major mental health issues.Safety Tips for Pedestrians
While pedestrians can't control the actions of motorists, they can take extra precautions to minimize or prevent a pedestrian collision. See the following tips to ensure your safety as a pedestrian:
- Be aware of traffic and look both ways before crossing.
- Avoid listening to music with earbuds and texting or calling on your phone while walking.
- Cross in areas where a driver's view will not be obstructed by trees, parked vehicles, and other objects.
- Use marked crosswalks whenever available.
- Keep an eye out for reverse lights that indicate a vehicle is backing up.
- Do not assume a driver will stop for you, even if you have the right-of-way.
- Make eye contact with the driver of a motor vehicle, so they are aware you are crossing.
- Obey all traffic lights and signs.
- Stay sober while walking and avoid the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing and carry a flashlight when walking at night.
- Walk facing the flow of traffic and as far from motorists as possible when there is not a sidewalk available.
Watch the video below for more tips on pedestrian safety.Recovering Damages from an Injury Lawyer
Medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages in connection with pedestrian accidents can leave crash survivors feeling hopeless. However, most damages people suffer in pedestrian accidents can be claimed in a personal injury case. By working with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Grass Valley, crash survivors can claim compensation for their losses, which will give them the financial security they need during a challenging time.Do I Really Need a Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
You may be wondering if you really need an injury attorney to help with your accident case. With minor injuries, it may not be necessary to consult with a lawyer. However, with serious injuries, especially in a pedestrian accident, it's essential to retain a lawyer who can ensure that your rights are protected so that you can be fully compensated for your losses. Insurance companies will often make low-ball offers, and the at-fault party may try to disclaim liability. When this happens, it is critical to have an experienced injury attorney who knows how to negotiate with insurance companies who may use dishonest tactics to reduce the value of your claim.
Even if you are unsure whether or not you need a lawyer, it's still essential to seek professional advice. Most injury lawyers will be happy to give you a free consultation over the phone, so there's no disadvantage to reaching out for the help you need.Grass Valley Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I'm Ed Smith, a Grass Valley pedestrian accident lawyer. If you or a family member have been injured in a pedestrian-involved accident, call (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
My team and I have helped people in Grass Valley and surrounding areas with serious injury claims since 1982.
:cha [cs 937] bw