Granite Bay Truck Accident Lawyer
A trucking accident attorney can help when you or a loved one has been injured in a crash caused by a big rig or another commercial vehicle. Residents of Granite Bay often find themselves on the Eisenhower Highway or traveling to Sacramento, which is ringed by complex roadways. Many of the vehicles traveling on these roads are 18-wheelers. Unfortunately, the increase in the number of commercial trucks on the streets means a rise in collisions involving these vehicles. Because big trucks are bound by state and federal regulations, it is essential to consult with an experienced Granite Bay truck accident attorney to obtain the compensation you deserve following an accident injury.How an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
If you suffer an injury in a collision with a big truck, we can help you seek the compensation you deserve. The Edward A. Smith Law Offices have successfully obtained compensation for many residents of Granite Bay and have provided quality service and representation since 1982. We understand that choosing a personal injury attorney can be a difficult decision and want you to understand that our office has the experience and legal talent to obtain the compensation you deserve.How Truck Accidents Are Different than Motor Vehicle Crashes
When a collision occurs between a big rig that weighs up to 80,000 pounds and the average motor vehicle at less than 4,000 pounds, it isn't surprising that severe injuries and fatalities occur. Under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Act, truck drivers undergo a background check and alcohol and drug testing. The hours they drive are regulated, and rest breaks and periods between going back on the road. Other strict standards include an inspection of the vehicle before going out on the road and load checks. If these regulations have been violated, liability can be established involving the at-fault driver and the company that employs them. However, the assistance of a lawyer with experience in dealing with truck accidents is necessary to establish a strong claim for damages.Driver and Company Error in Truck Accidents
Many of these accidents are due to the truck driver's negligence or the company that employs them. Some of the ways negligence contributes to a collision that can require the assistance of a Granite Bay truck accident attorney include:
- Fatigue: Truck drivers are expected to spend many hours on the road, leading to boredom and fatigue. In some cases, the company pushes the driver to make delivery faster, which can cause stress and fatigue in trying to meet a deadline.
- Driver training: With the significant shortage of truck drivers around the nation, some companies may hire inexperienced drivers. The problem with this is that big commercial trucks handle differently and have special considerations, such as the no-zones surrounding them. An inexperienced driver is more likely to be involved in an accident.
- Drugs: Although few truckers use alcohol, some use drugs to stay alert and awake while on long-haul trips. Drugs can affect a driver's ability to use clear judgment, and their reflexes, as well as their vision, can suffer. When drug use is shown to cause a wreck, our Granite Bay truck accident lawyers can help prove it, establishing your compensation claim.
- Distracted driving: Those long hours on the road can lead to distractions such as texting, fiddling with a radio station, and gazing off into the distance. Any of these distractions can lead to a collision.
- Speeding: A major cause of all types of accidents is that truck drivers speed to deliver on time. This frequently occurs if they do not allow sufficient time for the trip or if a traffic jam occurs.
- Poor maintenance: Bad brakes or tires or problems with the accelerator or steering can lead to an accident.
Truck accidents commonly occur the way other traffic collisions do, such as head-on or broadside collisions. However, some types of accidents only happen with a large truck. The different types of truck collisions include:
- Underride/override accidents: Big rigs are required to have underride protection in the rear of the trailer. However, not all big trucks are equipped with this protection, or the barriers are old and don't adequately protect other motorists. Underride/override accidents commonly result in fatalities and severe trauma such as brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Jackknife accidents: An inexperienced driver or braking errors can result in a jackknife accident. When a truck jackknifes, the trailer slides around to the side, which can crash into other vehicles, pedestrians, or others.
- No-zone collisions: Big trucks have blind spots all the way around the vehicle, especially along the sides of the trailer. However, if a trucker forgets that there is a vehicle driving along the side of the truck and attempts a lane change, that can result in an accident with severe injuries.
The following video discusses the different types of injuries in a truck accident.How a Granite Bay Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
The best truck accident lawyer in Granite Bay can help you obtain compensation to pay your medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Our experienced investigators go to a truck accident site right away to collect evidence to support your injury claim. They review the police report for inaccuracies and talk to witnesses. The investigators check the logbook to see if there is any sign the driver cheated or did not obey state and federal regulations. Maintenance records for the truck in question will be checked to see if negligence was involved in the accident.
Accident reconstruction is performed, and a search for traffic and business surveillance cameras could have caught the accident on video. When all the evidence has been accumulated, that is when our truck accident attorneys in Granite Bay go to work to build a strong case in favor of our client. Evidence can be used either when negotiating with the insurance company for you or preparing a case to present in civil court.Consult with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Granite Bay, CA
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, call our experienced Granite Bay truck accident lawyers today for free, friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400.
Before hiring a personal injury lawyer, it is best to look at their client reviews and a list of past case results. See our client ratings on Avvo, Google, Yelp, and our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 12.10.21]
Photo Attribution: pixabay.com
:cd [cs 1126] bw