Fremont Brain Injury Lawyer
Living in Fremont is a dream for many, which is why it was named one of the best places in California. Suffering a brain injury while enjoying all the area has to offer isn't on your list of potential worries. However, a brain injury to yourself or a loved one can occur for many reasons. When negligence is the cause, you can recover compensation by enlisting the help of a Fremont brain injury lawyer.Call AutoAccident.com When You Need Legal Advice
The injury lawyers and staff at AutoAccident.com understand what you may be going through when you or your loved one suffers a traumatic brain injury. Fear, uncertainty, and a long wait to see if your family member will recover are paramount in your mind. On top of this, you may worry about what might quickly become astronomical medical bills that can continue into the future because of a negligent driver or other entity. This is where a brain injury attorney from Fremont might be able to help. You are welcome to contact us at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400.What is Brain Trauma?
A TBI occurs when a person's brain functions are altered because of a sudden jolt to the head or a rapid back and forth movement. In some, the symptoms may be minor and heal quickly with rest and analgesics. In others, it can be catastrophic and lead to death or permanent disability. Brain injuries can occur in a variety of ways:
- There are many causes of brain injuries, but falls are the most common.
- The second leading cause of TBI is traffic accidents.
- Brain injuries can be caused by assaults.
- A common cause of brain injury is participation in sports such as football and other recreational activities.
Injuries are directly related to the type of accident, its impact, and the application of needed therapy. The different varieties of TBI include:
- Concussion: This type can result from an impact to the head or when the brain hits the rough, inner surface of the skull rapidly, such as in a hit and run. It takes several months for a concussion to heal in less severe cases. In other cases, the trauma can result in long-term cognitive changes, headaches, and more.
- Hematoma: A blood clot on the brain's surface is a hematoma. Blood may collect between the skull and the dura mater, the brain's protective covering. A small hematoma may resorb, especially in older people. Or, it may press on the brain, requiring surgical intervention.
- Skull fracture: The brain may be damaged if the skull cracks or breaks due to an accident. In addition, a skull fracture can cause seizures and infections by leaking cerebrospinal fluid through the nose or ears.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage: The resulting bleeding over the surface of the brain is referred to as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. These injuries may be mild, but severe bleeding can cause the fluid to accumulate, which requires surgery.
- Hemorrhage: A bleed inside the brain tissue resembles a stroke. It can take months for people to recover from a brain hemorrhage, depending on its severity.
- Ischemia: A TBI can result in a decrease in blood flow to the brain called ischemia. It can damage the brain even with a slight drop in blood supply due to its sensitivity to change.
- Diffuse axonal injury: In this type of injury, the axons of nerve cells, extensions of the brain, are sheared off by a sudden shift within the skull. Severe damage can result in nerve cells being unable to communicate, causing the messages from the brain to the body to be lost. Not only may the patient suffer severe disabilities but also a higher mortality rate.
Many people seek compensation with the help of an accident attorney from the at-fault individual or their insurer when facing medical care or permanent disability because of a brain injury. This is because recovery can take a long time, or damage can result in cognitive deficits, making it difficult for the injured person to care for themselves or work. The family often needs assistance because they cannot handle a brain injury's financial or physical consequences. Compensation may be sought in the following areas:
- It is possible to recover all medical expenses associated with the brain injury. The cost of ambulance services, testing, hospitalization, surgery, all physician fees, medication, and rehabilitation is covered. Out-of-pocket expenses such as transportation back and forth to the doctor or rehabilitation may also be recovered.
- During settlement negotiations, the brain injury lawyer in Fremont can ask for the future costs of the brain injury if treatment may continue.
- Compensation can be recovered if an accident results in the spouse losing consortium, affection, and moral support.
- Wages lost to injury are recoverable. When an injured worker can return to work, even on a limited basis, or has to take a lower-paying job, the difference in pay can be recovered. A person with a permanent disability may be unable to work and may not be able to earn a living. Up to the time they are expected to retire, they can recover the amount of their salary, bonuses, insurance, and pension.
To help you choose a lawyer, Attorney Ed Smith provides the following advice:
Related Articles by Fremont Brain Injury Attorney Ed Smith:
Our Fremont brain injury lawyer at AutoAccident.com can help you if a negligent driver, company, or other entity caused your trauma. You can reach us at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice in Yolo County. We can schedule a consultation with one of our injury lawyers free of charge where you can have your case reviewed, find out options to recover compensation, and ask questions. We are also available online.
In addition to extensive hospitalization, traumatic brain injuries can result in high medical bills, a loss of income, and other financial problems. Family finances can be heavily impacted by a severe injury and suffering a potentially life-changing injury is heartbreaking. The injured party or their family should never be financially responsible for someone else's negligent actions.
Fremont residents looking to file a compensation claim can benefit from knowing about the services offered by a law firm. Our client reviews and a few case histories can be found at Verdicts and Settlements, which explain how we have helped others over the years. We are also proud to be members of Million Dollar Advocates and the Top 1 Percent because it illustrates how we put our clients first.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 8.29.22]
Photo attribution: Photo by MART PRODUCTION
:cd  bw