Fort Bragg Truck Accident Lawyer
One of the worst types of accidents on a Fort Bragg road or highway involves a large commercial truck. Anyone hit by these types of vehicles typically suffers devastating bodily injuries, including a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones, nerve damage, and more.
Medical expenses for truck accident injury victims can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's why it is essential to consult with an experienced Fort Bragg truck accident lawyer to pursue a personal injury claim for your injuries and losses.What it Takes to Drive a Large Truck
Driving a large commercial truck isn't an easy task. It usually requires specialized training before anyone can operate a big rig. Once training is completed, the person will receive a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Even with extensive training, serious accidents can still happen due to the truck driver's negligence.Common Reasons for Truck Accidents
There are many reasons an accident can occur between a commercial truck and a passenger vehicle. The top reasons include:
- Truck Operator Fatigue - Truck drivers have to meet strict deadlines, which means pushing themselves to drive as long as possible. When this happens, the driver can get tired and fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Speeding on the Road - Big rigs are much larger than your average vehicle. If the truck driver is speeding and approaches a traffic jam, congested highway, or a light change, it will take much longer to slow down. If the driver applies the brakes too late, it can cause a deadly accident.
- Distracted Driving - Although the use of all hand-held communication devices while driving has been banned, truck operators regularly text and check their phones while driving. Accidents can occur when truck drivers are looking down at their phones or texting.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol - Abuse of prescription drugs and stimulants is quite common in the trucking industry. Some truck drivers take speed and amphetamines to stay awake on the road.
- Negligent Maintenance - When truck companies neglect to maintain their truck's tires and other equipment, it can malfunction on the road, jackknife, or veer into oncoming traffic, causing a major accident.
An accident involving a commercial truck is quite unique from other types of traffic accidents. There may be multiple parties who could be responsible for your damages and losses. When an accident occurs between two vehicles, the other driver is usually the only party who could be held liable for your injuries. But in a commercial truck accident, multiple parties could be liable. They include the truck driver, the trucking company, or the manufacturer of the truck.Trucking Companies Can Be Held Liable for Their Drivers
According to California law, when a worker acts negligently while on the clock, the employer is responsible for any injuries caused by the worker’s negligence. Because of this law, some trucking companies are now classifying truck drivers as independent contractors to limit their liability. However, courts are not bound to a truck driver’s employment status. They consider various factors when examining whether an employment relationship existed when determining liability.Why You Need a Fort Bragg Trucking Accident Lawyer
Having an experienced Fort Bragg truck accident attorney on your side is important when dealing with multiple parties that could be liable for your injuries. When more than one party is at fault, different claims will need to be filed. That means you will need to deal with multiple insurance adjusters to negotiate your settlement. Dealing with one adjuster is frustrating enough, while negotiating with several adjusters could be a nightmare. That's why it's beneficial to have an experienced personal injury lawyer work on the legal process so you can focus on the recovery process.Limited Time to File a Truck Accident Claim
If you or a member of your family was severely injured in a collision involving a commercial truck or big rig, you only have a limited time period to file a lawsuit in court. Consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer to file your personal injury claim within the statute of limitations.
The video below explains the types of damages that can be claimed in a truck accident lawsuit.Truck Accident Lawyers in Fort Bragg, CA
I’m Ed Smith, a Fort Bragg truck accident lawyer. Accidents involving a large commercial truck can alter lives and cause harmful physical and emotional damage. If you or a loved one has been severely injured in a traumatic accident involving a big rig, call one of our experienced injury attorneys at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
:cha [cs 817] bw