Fort Bragg Truck Accident Lawyer
One of the worst accidents on a Fort Bragg road or highway involves a large commercial truck. Anyone hit by these vehicles typically suffers devastating bodily injuries, including a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones, nerve damage, and more.
Medical expenses for truck accident injury victims can be hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's why it is essential to consult an experienced Fort Bragg truck accident lawyer to pursue a personal injury claim for your injuries and losses. Call our legal team at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.
Driving a large commercial truck isn't easy, and it usually requires specialized training before anyone can operate a big rig. Once training is completed, the person will receive a commercial driver's license (CDL). Even with extensive training, serious accidents can still happen due to the truck driver's negligence.Common Reasons for Truck Accidents
For many reasons, an accident can occur between a commercial truck and a passenger vehicle. The top reasons include the following:
- Truck Operator Fatigue - Truck drivers must meet strict deadlines, pushing themselves to drive as long as possible. When this happens, the driver can get tired and fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Speeding on the Road - Big rigs are much larger than your average vehicle. If the truck driver is speeding and approaches a traffic jam, a congested highway, or a light change, it will take much longer to slow down. If the driver applies the brakes too late, it can cause a deadly accident.
- Distracted Driving - Although using all hand-held communication devices has been banned, truck operators regularly text and check their phones while driving. Accidents can occur when truck drivers look down at their phones or text.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol - Abuse of prescription drugs and stimulants is quite common in the trucking industry. Some truck drivers take speed and amphetamines to stay awake on the road.
- Negligent Maintenance - When truck companies neglect to maintain their truck's tires and other equipment, it can malfunction on the road, jackknife, or veer into oncoming traffic, causing a significant accident.
An accident involving a commercial truck is quite unique from other traffic accidents. There may be multiple parties who could be responsible for your damages and losses. When an accident occurs between two vehicles, the other driver is usually the only party who could be held liable for your injuries. But in a commercial truck accident, multiple parties could be responsible. They include the truck driver, the trucking company, or the manufacturer.Trucking Companies Can Be Held Liable for Their Drivers
According to California law, when a worker acts negligently while on the clock, the employer is responsible for any injuries caused by the worker's negligence. Because of this law, some trucking companies now classify truck drivers as independent contractors to limit liability. However, courts are not bound to a truck driver's employment status. They consider various factors when determining liability and whether an employment relationship exists.Why You Need a Fort Bragg Trucking Accident Lawyer
Having an experienced Fort Bragg truck accident attorney on your side is essential when dealing with multiple parties that could be liable for your injuries. Different claims must be filed when more than one party is at fault. You will need to deal with multiple insurance adjusters to negotiate your settlement. Dealing with one adjuster is frustrating, while negotiating with several adjusters could be a nightmare. That's why it's beneficial to have an experienced injury attorney work on the legal process so you can focus on the recovery process.Limited Time to File a Truck Accident Claim
If you or a family member were severely injured in a collision involving a commercial truck or big rig, you only have a limited time to file a lawsuit in court. Consult an experienced accident lawyer to file your personal injury claim within the statute of limitations.
The video below explains the damages that can be claimed in a truck accident lawsuit.Call Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Fort Bragg, CA
A large commercial truck accident can alter lives and cause harmful physical and emotional damage. If you or a loved one has been severely injured in a traumatic accident involving a big rig, call our experienced Fort Bragg truck accident attorneys at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. See a list of past cases on our verdicts and settlements page.