Fort Bragg Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The town of Fort Bragg, California, offers residents and tourists many wonderful outdoor activities. Fort Bragg offers something for everyone, from hiking the many scenic coastal trails to a downtown walking tour of the historic business district. While walking is one of the best ways to see what the town offers, it can also be risky near motor vehicles.
When a pedestrian is hit by a car, the pedestrian is usually left with catastrophic and life-altering injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered severe injuries in a pedestrian accident in the Fort Bragg area, call our experienced Fort Bragg pedestrian accident lawyers at (707) 564-1900 for a free consultation.How Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Pedestrian accidents can happen in several ways. Some common reasons include:
- Failure to yield: Motorists who fail to yield at intersections or crosswalks can cause a catastrophic pedestrian accident.
- Distraction: Motorists are often distracted as they text or talk on their cell phones.
- Drunk driving: Drunk drivers cannot control their vehicles. This is a major contributing factor to pedestrian accidents.
- Speeding: Drivers who speed can't stop their vehicle in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
- Limited visibility: Overgrown foliage or limbs can make seeing a pedestrian entering a crosswalk difficult.
Knowing what to do immediately after a pedestrian accident is essential to protect yourself and your legal rights.
- Seek Medical Care - If you were hit by a vehicle while walking, you should first seek immediate medical attention. If you are physically able, call 911 and request medical assistance. You need to see a doctor, even if your injuries are minor.
- File a Police Report - You must file a police report as soon as possible. This is the time to explain the events that led up to the accident.
- Get Contact Information of Driver and Witnesses - Get contact information, including car insurance, driver's license, phone number, vehicle model, and license plate of the person who hit you. It's also important to get contact information from witnesses who saw the accident.
- Keep Good Notes - Keep track of everything that occurred after the accident. This includes your doctor visits, opportunities you missed due to injuries, lost wages due to time off work for rehabilitation, and other issues related to your accident.
- Contact an Experienced Injury Lawyer - Consult an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to discuss your legal options. Most injury lawyers offer free and confidential consultations. The attorney will review your case, and if it makes sense to move forward, you can retain them on a contingency fee basis. That means you don't pay any upfront fees unless they successfully win your case.
Hiring a Fort Bragg pedestrian accident lawyer means you will have the expertise of someone who will help you navigate through the complex injury claims process so you can focus on your recovery.
Insurance adjusters usually contact the accident victim right away to offer a low-ball settlement before you have a chance to consult with a personal injury lawyer. They want to get a recorded statement to use against you later if a claim is filed. Always remember an insurance adjuster is not your friend, and they are not on your side.
In some pedestrian accidents, the driver may argue that the pedestrian was at fault. If liability is unclear, the insurance company for the driver will likely deny your claim. You will need an experienced personal injury lawyer to help investigate the likelihood of who was really responsible for the accident. You could still file a personal injury claim even if you were partially at fault since California is a comparative fault state.Two Years or Less to Take Legal Action
In California, a statute of limitations governs how long you can file a lawsuit against the driver that hit you. You have two years to file a personal injury claim to recover damages from your pedestrian accident. However, the statute of limitations is only six months if it involves a city or state vehicle.
The PSA below by AAA provides some essential tips on pedestrian safety.Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Bragg, CA
Pedestrian accidents often involve catastrophic injuries that result in substantial medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. That's why you need an experienced Fort Bragg pedestrian accident lawyer. If you or a family member has suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent motorist, please call our experienced Fort Bragg pedestrian attorneys today at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly, and compassionate advice. See our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.