Foothill Farms Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
When it comes to a collision between a motorcycle and a larger sedan, pickup truck, or SUV, the motorcyclist usually bears the brunt of the damage. In many instances, unfortunately, a motorcyclist loses their life when involved in an accident with another vehicle. For example, a deadly multi-vehicle crash occurred on Highway 99 south of Elk Grove in Sacramento County. A collision between a motorcycle and a pickup truck caused a chain reaction crash in which two other motorcycles and two additional vehicles also crashed, according to SacBee.com.
Unfortunately, accidents like the one described above, occur quite frequently. Close to 5,000 people die in motorcycle accidents each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In addition to the thousands of fatalities, roughly 88,000 motorcyclists are seriously injured in collisions, according to the Insurance Information Institute.What To Do After A Motorcycle Accident
Below is a step-by-step breakdown of what to do if you are involved in a serious collision with another vehicle:
- Take pictures — If you are physically able, take pictures of your injuries and the accident scene. With the proliferation of smartphones, it is much easier to take accident scene photographs.
- Get medical treatment for your injuries — Do not delay in getting medical treatment. Immediately after the collision, seek medical treatment at your local hospital or primary care physician. Even if you think you are fine, you may have a concussion or other “invisible” injury.
- Review your insurance policy — After the accident, take the time to review your motorcycle insurance policy, including the exclusions section. Your own coverage may come into play if the reckless driver did not have auto insurance or has insufficient coverage.
- Keep track of your medical expenses — All of the medical expenses stemming from your collision should be documented and kept in order since they will need to be submitted to the insurance company to substantiate your injury claim. These documents include medical bills, prescription drug costs, insurance co-pays, and so forth.
- Keep a record of all accident-related documents and interactions — The more documentation you can produce to substantiate your harms and losses, the better. You should also keep track of any contacts made by the other driver’s insurance company.
Studies have shown that claimants who have an attorney negotiating on their behalf actually recover more through a settlement or jury verdict than other claimants. The Insurance Research Council (IRC) conducted such a study and discovered that car accident personal injury claim payouts were 40 percent higher for claimants with legal representation. The study also showed that, on average, a claimant with a lawyer received 3.5 times more than a claimant lacking representation.
In addition to recovering more money, in most cases, a major benefit to hiring a personal injury lawyer is that your claim may need to be escalated to a lawsuit if the other driver’s insurance company refuses to offer you a fair settlement. The overwhelming majority of injury claims settle before going to court, but settlement cannot be guaranteed. You need a Foothill farms motorcycle accident lawyer who is ready and able to take your case before a jury, if need be.Do Not Delay in Taking Legal Action
Personal injury lawsuits are governed by a statute of limitations. This is a state law that places an arbitrary time limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit, including a lawsuit predicated on a motorcycle accident injury. In California, the statute of limitations for a motorcycle injury lawsuit is two years from the date of your injury. If you fail to file your lawsuit within this time period, you will be barred from collecting compensation from the reckless driver.
There are some exceptions to the two-year statute of limitations which may shorten or lengthen the amount of time to file a lawsuit. Again, there is where the counsel of an experienced Foothill Farms motorcycle accident attorney can pay major dividends.Speak to a Foothill Farms Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
A motorcycle accident can cause catastrophic injuries. In fact, many motorcyclists hit by cars, trucks, and SUVs suffer injuries that result in months, or even years, of treatment. This is why you should hire an experienced personal injury attorney who will pursue maximum compensation on your behalf.
I’m Ed Smith, a Foothill Farms motorcycle accident lawyer with over three decades of experience practicing personal injury and wrongful death law. If you or someone you care about has suffered injury or death after a motorcycle accident, call me at 916.921.6400 for free, friendly advice. When you contact me, we will go over the details of the accident and see how best to proceed.
I am a Million Dollar Forum member. Members of the forum have won million dollar case verdicts.
See my past verdicts and settlements here.
Visit my website for more information: www.autoaccident.com.
:sb bw [7.7.2017 CS 861]