Florin, CA Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Florin, California, is a census-designated area in Sacramento County that also includes Arden-Arcade and Roseville. Its population increased in the 2010 census from that of the one taken 10 years earlier. As of 2010, the population was 47,513 while it was listed as 27,653 in 2000. This diverse population has a predominant number of people under 18. Individuals between 25 and 44 make up the second largest group.
Bordered by Highway 99, the town is an easy commute to Sacramento something roughly 15 percent of the population does daily. However, the proximity to this busy highway often results in major car and truck accidents. Florin Road in old Florin Town is a busy traffic hub as well. Traffic accidents can be financially devastating.History of Florin
In the early 1800s, Florin, California, was home to a large contingent of European and Asian settlers as were other areas of California. They found work in agriculture, on ranches and orchards and in dairies. In the 1850s, James Rutter, a world-renowned horticulturist, planted the seedless Tokay Flame grape in Florin. Wine made from this grape was popular, and Florin soon became the center of Tokay Flame grape production in the area for almost a century. Switching from more traditional crops grown in this location, farmers concentrated on those that require more intense cultivation such as strawberries. The city became well-known for its strawberries and was called the strawberry capital of the worldFlorin Officially Established
The town was named by Judge E.B. Crocker in 1864. He called it Florin after the Latin word flora for flowers. This name was descriptive of the area with its abundant wildflower fields. The name was not official until the train depot and post office were opened. McComber Lane became the site of the first schoolhouse in 1877. Other establishments soon followed, including the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Goddard Hotel and Sugden’s Mercantile. The Florin, California Church of Christ, built in 1856, is still in operation.From the 1890s to the Early 1900s
The years between 1890 and the early 1900s were peak years for Florin. Shipments of grapes and strawberries were so large that they required the use of 250 train cars each growing season. James Frasinetti established the first winery in the city. His grapes were grown on acres along what is now known as Florin Road. The same family still owns the winery, and they have opened a restaurant on the premises. Visitors are able to enjoy its delicious food and fine wines today. As an outgrowth of Florin’s rich agricultural and dairy production, the Florin California Fruit Growers Association was one of the oldest cooperatives west of the Mississippi. In 1919, Florin's Buddhist Temple was established in the city. It is a testament to the early, large Japanese immigrant population. A gymnasium was added in 1938. The Japanese were honored by many who praised their conversion of barren land into profitable and productive fields, vineyards and orchards with intelligent and industrious applications.World War II to Present
The entrance of the country into World War II changed many aspects of life in Florin, California. Japanese families were forced to leave their homes and were placed in internment camps. Some returned to Florin after the war, but many did not. Due to the loss of Japanese farmers, the war effort and the ability to import grapes from other parts of the globe, farming production fell. In the 1950s, land development was popular in the city, and farming continued to decrease. Today, the culture of Florin, California is rich with diversity and pays homage to the early settlers for their beliefs and strengths.Dangerous Intersections in Florin, California
Several intersections in Florin are the common sites of car accidents. According to the Federal Highway Administration, intersections are dangerous for motorists, pedestrians, and bikers. Of the millions of car accidents that happen annually, 50 percent occur at intersections. One reason is that considerable traffic passes through intersections daily. The main cause of intersection accidents is that, amid this congestion, some drivers run a red light or pass through stop signs. This reckless behavior causes about 165,000 accidents every year. Fatal accidents due to motor vehicle operators who run a red light are estimated at between 700 and 800. Some large intersections include Florin Road at Stockton Boulevard and Elk Grove Florin Road at Gerber Road.Highway 99
Highway 99 runs along the westernmost boundary of Florin. In 2017, this stretch of the highway had been the site of 183 collisions. Five people were killed, and 269 were injured in these crashes. There were 10 motorcycle accidents. Of all injuries, 12 percent were serious, 41 percent were minor to severe, and 121 people complained of pain after the collision. There was one head-on collision in 2017 and 88 rear-end accidents. The remainder includes the following:
- 18 sideswipe accidents
- 13 broadside collisions
- 46 crashes were due to hitting an object in the road
- 8 rollovers
- Three involved a vehicle and a pedestrian
Reasons that accidents happened in Florin on Highway 99 are:
- 47 percent of the crashes were due to speeding
- 48 percent of the accidents were caused by improper turning
- Drinking and drug use accounted for 26 percent of the collisions
- Unsafe lane changing caused 6 percent of the accidents
- Two percent were due to driving on the wrong side of the road
The vast majority of accidents happen on weekdays, Tuesday through Thursday. The crashes usually occur before and during the evening rush hour, between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.About Me
I was born and raised in Brooklyn. People in this area of New York are upfront and fight for what they believe is right. My family was blue-collar workers who never attended college and who labored to take care of their loved ones. I served in a flight unit of the U.S. Airborne Service during the Vietnam War. After the war, I moved to Sacramento where I used the G.I. Bill to attend the University of California at Davis, graduating Summa Cum Laude. I attended McGeorge Law School and graduated in 1982. Since that time, I have practiced personal injury law exclusively. I belong to the following legal groups:
- Capital City Trial Lawyers Association
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
I’ve been in practice for nearly 40 years, and during that time, I have handled many different types of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accidents: This category includes all varieties of motor vehicle accidents, including rollovers. A Florin car accident lawyer is equipped to recover the damages suffered in such accidents.
- Catastrophic injury cases: These are serious injury cases that often exceed the amount of insurance coverage available.
- Motorcycle crashes: Such crashes often involve serious injuries to the motorcycle rider or passenger. It is necessary to obtain the compensation that covers the financial loss associated with such injuries. A Florin personal injury attorney can help with this.
- Truck accidents: Truck accidents can be devastating for those in passenger vehicles. This is due to the size and weight discrepancy between cars and big trucks. A Florin auto accident lawyer who is experienced in truck/passenger car accidents can recover necessary damages.
- Bicycle crashes: Cyclists have little protection when a collision occurs. Due to this, many bicyclists suffer catastrophic injuries or are killed.
- Pedestrian accidents: The rate of pedestrian injury and death due to accidents with a motor vehicle is escalating. Speed plays a large part in the severity of the injuries. A Florin personal injury lawyer can help obtain the necessary compensation.
- Defective product liability: Companies are expected to produce safe products. When consumers are hurt, they can file a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer.
- Dog bites: There are 4.5 million dog bites annually in this country. California is the number one state for dog bites. When bitten by a dog, a person can file a lawsuit against the dog’s owner.
- Boating accidents: Boating is an enjoyable pastime in California. However, boating accidents are plentiful. Letting a Florin personal injury lawyer advocate for you is often essential to obtain financial damages.
- Traumatic brain injury: The number of traumatic brain injuries has increased in the past 10 years. These injuries can have devastating consequences for a person and his or her family.
- Medication errors: There is no excuse for medication errors in a hospital, pharmacy or due to a doctor’s mistakes. Such errors have caused numerous deaths.
- Wrongful death cases: When a family member dies due to negligence by another person it is labeled a wrongful death. The family can file a lawsuit to obtain the necessary compensation for the loss of a loved one.
- Defective medical devices: Defective medical devices cause many problems for patients, including severe physical illness. It is necessary for a Florin personal injury lawyer to take the case to civil court to obtain damages in many cases.
I believe in a holistic approach to the practice of law. I love practicing law, and it has been a source of great satisfaction throughout my life. My clients are more than just an accident case, and many have become great friends over the years. They are people whose lives have been turned upside down and who are suffering. They worry about how they will pay for the necessary treatment and how their family will cope if something happens to them.
My staff and I get to know our clients, and we are here for them when they need us. Stress can worsen physical symptoms. We do everything we can to take the burden of dealing with your case of you, giving you time to heal. We strive to bring justice to the situation as you or yours get back on their feet after a harrowing experience.
To hear me discuss this, listen to the video below:Personal Life
I was married in 1978 and had a son, Brant, in 1982. Since then, we have been blessed with the birth of a grandson, Mason. I enjoy a varied group of activities in my spare time such as snorkeling and reading. I also enjoy hiking around Lake Tahoe. Sometimes, I enjoy just listening to great music such as rock and the blues.Books and Media Appearances
I have written two books to help people better understand what happens after an accident. They are:
These highly rated books are available at Amazon for free download in the Kindle Edition. I also appeared on a popular cable TV show called Ask the Lawyer.Florin, California, Frequently Asked Questions
Some questions are frequently asked of a Florin personal injury lawyer. They are:
Q: Who are the recommended mechanics in the Florin area?
A: Some mechanics who have good to excellent reviews around Florin in Yelp are:
2770 Florin Rd
Sacramento, CA 95822
Phone number: (916) 393-1819
2700 Florin Rd
Sacramento, CA 95822
Phone Number: (916) 422-2024
7232 Frasinetti Rd
Sacramento, CA 95828
Phone Number: (916) 383-2076
Q: Can you recommend some good car rental agencies?
A: Some car rental agencies in the Florin area with good reviews are:
5941 Power Inn Rd
Sacramento, CA 95824
Phone Number: (916) 381-3300
6327 Franklin Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95824
Phone Number: (916) 428-1800Florin, CA Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer in Florin, California. Accidents can turn your life upside down. During this turbulent period, the insight an injury lawyer can provide is invaluable. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can reach out to me online also.
I’ve practiced personal injury law for over 37 years and handled all types of car accidents along with other personal injury cases. I work hard for clients to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Learn more about my practice by reading reviews and peer comments on the following pages:
Photo Attribution: Pixabay
:cd cha [cs 2053]