Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer
The sudden and preventable loss of a loved one in an accident is an indescribable tragedy that can profoundly impact Fairfield residents. Coping with the aftermath of such a traumatic experience is incredibly challenging. We are here to support you if you are in this heartbreaking situation. Our compassionate wrongful death lawyers understand the immense pain you are going through and are dedicated to helping families in Fairfield seek justice and accountability.
By contacting our firm today at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400, you can schedule a free case evaluation to discuss the details of your situation. Our experienced lawyers will attentively listen to your story, provide guidance, and offer a compassionate and understanding approach during this difficult time. We understand the complexities of wrongful death cases and are committed to fighting for your rights and seeking the justice and compensation your loved one deserves.
We recognize that no compensation can truly heal the pain of losing a loved one, but it can help alleviate some financial burdens and provide a sense of closure. Let us handle the legal aspects of your case so that you can focus on grieving and healing. Contact our wrongful death lawyers today to take the first step toward seeking the justice and support you, and your family deserve.Holding the Negligent Party Accountable
It is a hard truth - the sudden loss of a parent or spouse can create tremendous financial strain and turmoil for those left behind. This is especially true if the deceased was the primary income earner for a household. In a moment, a family may be left wondering how they will be able to pay the mortgage, the credit card bill, the car, and other expenses. Fortunately, the family can file a wrongful death claim to pursue compensation.
According to the California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60, a wrongful death occurs when someone loses their life due to the negligence of another individual, product, or corporation. A wrongful death claim compensates a family for losing a loved one and provides financial relief and peace of mind.Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim
- Medical Bills: If an emergency room team or other medical professionals treated your deceased loved one, you could be reimbursed for those costs.
- Funeral Expenses: You can seek reimbursement for the cost of the funeral, including burial expenses.
- Future Earnings of the Deceased Loved One: You can seek reimbursement for the income the decedent would have earned if not for their untimely death.
- Pain, Suffering, and Loss of Companionship: You can seek compensation for the non-itemizable harms and losses of wrongful death. This form of financial restitution is commonly called pain and suffering damages. It is meant to help compensate you for the mental anguish, sorrow, and loss of companionship.
Filing a wrongful death claim can quickly get complicated, especially if liability is contested. A lawsuit must be filed in a Fairfield civil court before achieving a resolution. Your Fairfield wrongful death lawyer will typically file a claim with the defendant's insurance company. If an amicable resolution cannot be reached during this initial phase, your attorney will file a Complaint and issue a Summons to the defendant.
Once a lawsuit has been filed, the pre-trial discovery process will commence. Discovery in a wrongful death case requires:
- Interrogatories – This is a legal term that means written questions. You can send interrogatories, as does the defendant, and all answers must be provided under oath.
- Depositions – This is a legal term that basically means an in-person interview. You would be deposed by the attorney for the defendant, and your lawyer would get to depose the defendant, along with any other parties or witnesses associated with the case.
- Requests for Documents and Admissions – Your accident lawyer can request relevant documents such as maintenance records of the automobile being operated by the defendant, financial records, etc. In addition, a Request for Admission can be sent to the opposing party requiring them to admit or deny specific facts concerning the case.
Throughout this process, it is essential to understand that settlement negotiations are taking place between your attorney and the attorney for the defendant. In many cases, the insurance company for the defendant will make an opening lowball settlement offer and steadily increase their offer as the litigation process moves forward. There might also be court-ordered mediation that you would need to attend to try and resolve the dispute without going to trial.
If a wrongful death settlement is not reached, the lawsuit will go to trial in Solano County. During a trial, opening and closing arguments will be made to a jury, and they will be tasked with determining whether the defendant's conduct was reckless or negligent and proximately caused the death of your loved one.How a Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help Your Family
As you can see, resolving a wrongful death claim can be lengthy and complicated. You should have a top-rated law firm working to build a successful case. You need a team to interview witnesses, review relevant medical records and financial statements, depose the defendant, file pertinent legal documents in court, etc. Attempting to do all this on your own would be a herculean task. You should focus on grieving and getting your life back in order.
Let the best wrongful death attorney in Fairfield handle the legal details. An experienced injury attorney can use the relevant statutes and legal codes to effectively negotiate with the insurance adjuster. Once they have gathered the evidence and synthesized a compelling argument, your attorney will be well-equipped to convince a jury that your damages claim should be awarded in full.
The video below includes an overview of California's wrongful death claims process.Call Our Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fairfield, CA
We understand that losing a loved one in an accident in Solano County is an incredibly painful and devastating experience. During this challenging time, seeking justice and fair compensation can provide some measure of closure and support for you and your family. Our compassionate Fairfield wrongful death lawyers are here to assist you every step of the way. We offer free and friendly advice to help you understand your legal options and navigate the complex legal process. To learn more about how we can support you during this challenging time, please don't hesitate to contact us at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400. Your well-being and seeking justice for your loved one are our top priorities.
Learn more about us. See our past verdicts and settlements.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 5.11.23] Photo by Gabriel on Unsplash sid rey [cs 1122]