Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer (707) 564-1900
I'm Ed Smith, a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Fairfield. Discovering a loved one suddenly passed away in a preventable accident is a gut-wrenching, traumatic experience that far too many Fairfield residents have to struggle with on a regular basis. For example, a head-on car wreck occurred on Peabody Road near the city limits of Fairfield and Vacaville. Reports indicate that an SUV and a sedan collided head-on between Chuck Hammond Drive and the entrance to the California State Prison. The two occupants of the sedan lost their lives in this collision. In the blink of an eye, two families had their lives turned upside down due to this unexpected and tragic accident.Holding the Negligent Party Accountable Through a Wrongful Death Claim
It is a hard truth - the sudden loss of a parent or spouse can create a tremendous amount of financial strain and turmoil for those left behind. This is especially true if the deceased was the primary income earner for a household. In a moment, a family may be left wondering how they will be able to pay the mortgage, the credit card bill, the car, and other expenses. Fortunately, the financial damages suffered by a family can be pursued through a wrongful death claim.
According to California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60, a wrongful death has occurred when someone loses their life as the proximate result of the negligence or misconduct of another individual, product, or corporate entity. The objective of a wrongful death claim is to provide financial relief and peace of mind to family members grieving the loss of a family member.Recoverable Damages That Can Be Sought in a Wrongful Death Claim
- Medical Bills: If your deceased loved one was treated by an emergency room team or other medical professionals, you can be reimbursed for those costs.
- Funeral Expenses: You can seek reimbursement for the cost of the funeral, including burial expenses.
- Future Earnings of the Deceased Loved One: You can seek reimbursement for the income the decedent would have earned if not for their untimely death.
- Pain, Suffering, and Loss of Companionship: You can pursue compensation for the non-itemizable harms and losses associated with a wrongful death. This form of financial restitution is commonly referred to as pain and suffering damages. It is meant to help compensate you for the mental anguish, sorrow, and loss of companionship.
Filing a wrongful death claim can get complicated very quickly, especially if liability is contested. There may be a need for a lawsuit to be filed in a Fairfield civil court before a resolution can be achieved. Typically, your Fairfield wrongful death lawyer will file a claim with the insurance company of the defendant. If an amicable resolution cannot be reached during this initial phase, your attorney will then proceed to file a Complaint and issue a Summons to the defendant.
Once a lawsuit has been filed, the pre-trial discovery process will commence. Discovery often includes the following:
- Interrogatories – This is a legal term that basically means written questions. You have the opportunity to send interrogatories, as does the defendant, and all answers must be provided under oath.
- Depositions – This is a legal term that basically means in-person interview. You would be deposed by the attorney for the defendant and your lawyer would get to depose the defendant, along with any other parties or witnesses associated with the case.
- Requests for Documents and Admissions – Your lawyer can request relevant documents such as maintenance records of the automobile being operated by the defendant, financial records, etc. In addition, a Request for Admission can be sent the opposing party requiring them to admit or deny certain facts concerning the case.
Throughout this process, it is important to understand that settlement negotiations are taking place between your attorney and the attorney for the defendant. In many cases, the insurance company for the defendant will make an opening low-ball settlement offer and steadily increase their offer as the litigation process moves forward. There might also be court-ordered mediation that you would need to attend in an effort to try and resolve the dispute without having to go to trial.
If a settlement cannot be reached, the case goes forward to trial. During a trial, opening and closing arguments will be made to a jury and they will be tasked with determining whether the defendant’s conduct was reckless or negligent and that proximately caused the death of your loved one.Benefits of Retaining an Experienced Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer
As you can see, the entire process of resolving a wrongful death claim can be extensive, and complicated. You should have a legal team on your side working to build a successful wrongful death case. You need a team to interview witnesses, review relevant medical records and financial statements, depose the defendant, file pertinent legal documents in court, and so forth. Attempting to do all of this on your own would be a herculean task. You should focus on grieving and getting your life back in order.
Let a Fairfield wrongful death lawyer handle the legal details. An experienced attorney will be able to use the relevant statutes and legal codes to effectively negotiate with the insurance adjuster. Once they have gathered the evidence and synthesized a compelling argument, your attorney will be well equipped to convince a jury that your damages claim should be awarded in full.
Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer, Ed Smith
Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Fairfield. The loss of a loved one is never an easy thing, especially when that person is taken unexpectedly in an accident. If your family has lost someone because of the negligence of another party, I can help. Please contact me right away at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly, no-obligation advice. Alternatively, you can reach me online at any time via my website, AutoAccident.com.
Final Photo Credit: Ed Smith, a Fairfield Wrongful Death Lawyer
:sid rey [cs 1073] mb 12.27.17