Fairfield Products Liability Lawyer
f you are like 99% of people in the U.S., you use consumer products every day and rely on these products to work correctly. However, some of our everyday products can be potentially dangerous, and millions of people report being hurt by consumer products every year. When products like car parts, electric blankets, kitchen appliances, or others malfunction, people can suffer severe injuries that significantly impact their lives.
As Fairfield products liability lawyers, we help people hold the product manufacturers financially responsible through personal injury cases. With the payments from these claims, injured parties can get the compensation they need to recover their financial and physical well-being.What is a Products Liability Claim?
Essentially, a products liability claim is a type of personal injury claim that seeks to hold manufacturers, insurance companies, and/or other at-fault parties responsible for damages caused by a defective or dangerous product.
Injured individuals can hold these parties responsible because the United States has regulatory agencies and laws to protect consumers and ensure their safety when purchasing products in the American marketplace. Product liability is generally considered a “strict liability” offense, meaning that plaintiffs only need to prove that they were injured by a product and that the product was not reasonably safe to have a valid claim.Who Can Be Held Liable In Products Liability Claims?
With most products we purchase, a long chain of different parties is involved in making, transporting, and ultimately selling the product to the consumer. So, which of these groups can be held responsible for injury damages?
The expectation of product safety starts at the manufacturer and ends at the point of purchase. This means that not only the manufacturer but sellers and other companies involved with supplying faulty or dangerous products can also often be held responsible through product liability claims. However, every case is different, and your lawyer must first establish the point of negligence along the supply chain. Furthermore, in many product liability cases, more than one company is considered at fault.
Some parties that are commonly considered liable in products liability cases include:
- Part manufacturers
- Assembly manufacturers
Certain consumer products are inherently more risky and likely to cause harm. Some of the products that are often subjects of products liability cases include:
- Medical devices - The tools medical providers use for surgeries and other procedures can cause serious harm. Examples of current medical devices that have engendered major products liability cases include the transvaginal mesh, Allergan breast implants, and the Paragard IUD.
- Medications - Medications, like medical devices, can be dangerous and often have harmful side effects. While drugs undergo rigorous FDA-mandated testing before they can be prescribed, there are still cases where these medicines cause harm. Furthermore, those taking medications need to be adequately informed about side effects and potential risks, and, in many cases, doctors or medication labels may not communicate these risks clearly.
- Chemicals - Consumer chemical products for household use can also be dangerous. Examples of chemicals involved in product liability cases are the pesticides Round-Up and DiCamba.
- Children’s furniture and toys - Often, products for children present the danger of tipping, choking, or entrapment.
- Industrial Machinery and/or Equipment - In many cases, products used for industrial applications cause workers serious injuries.
- Motor Vehicle Products - Vehicles must function correctly for occupants to be safe. When brakes, tires, steering systems, or airbags malfunction, they often cause a product liability case.
- Appliances - Appliances like microwaves, hairdryers, fish tank motors, and others have electrical components that may cause fires or electrocutions.
- Apparel - Certain clothing items can present the risk of asphyxiation or choking. Sometimes, clothing items are unreasonably flammable, leading to burn injuries.
- Pool pumps - Pool filter pumps contain enormous pressure, and if they aren’t built correctly, they may explode.
To learn about more common dangerous consumer products, watch this fun and informative video:What Can I Recover Through a Products Liability Claim?
One of the most common questions that injured parties have is, “What kind of payments can I recover by filing a products liability claim?” The answer is that it varies from case to case, and the compensation available highly depends on your situation's details.
However, many different types of damages can be covered by these claims. The two main categories are economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include things with an easily identifiable value like medical expenses, lost wages or salary, loss of income earning potential, and more. Non-economic damages are things that relate to your quality of life. Because these damages are subjective, it’s essential to have an attorney who can advocate for your right to compensation to ensure that at-fault parties and insurance companies don’t offer you less money than you deserve.
Ultimately, if you want to know what types of compensation may be available, the best thing to do is contact a trusted Fairfield products liability lawyer. Most attorneys are happy to provide legal advice over a free phone consultation, so you have nothing to lose when contacting expert help.Products Liability Lawyers in Fairfield, CA
If you or somebody you care about was seriously hurt by a defective consumer product, please call our experienced Fairfield products liability lawyers today for free, friendly advice. We can be reached at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400.
Our team has been helping people in Fairfield with products liability cases since 1982. See our list of verdicts and settlements to learn about how we’ve helped our clients.