Fair Oaks Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Fair Oaks is primarily known for its eclectic mix of semi-rural and suburban neighborhoods. The city is also popular for bicyclists since it features the impressive Old Fair Oaks Village town center. Bicycling is so popular that an event called the North Fair Oaks Bike Rodeo takes place annually in the city.
The presence of so many bicyclists create the risk that a negligent motorist may hit a rider, causing severe bodily injuries. Unfortunately, collisions between motorists and bicyclists occur pretty frequently.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Fair Oaks, call our law firm at (916) 921-6400 for a free, no-obligation consultation.Essential Actions to Take After a Fair Oaks Bicycle Accident
The following actions after a collision with a motorist will help strengthen the viability of a potential personal injury claim. These steps will also help protect your legal position, especially if the driver tries to claim that you were somewhat at fault for causing or contributing to the collision.
- Call the police and tell them what happened.
- Confirm that an accident report will be filed and ask whether the driver is being issued a ticket for violating a traffic regulation.
- Get medical attention from a trained specialist or ER doctor.
- Get the driver's contact information, including their full name, cell phone number, and auto insurance information.
- Get the contact information for any witnesses who may have seen the collision.
- Take note of any convenience stores, grocery stores, CVS, or Rite Aid chains because they may have surveillance footage of the collision.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including the car's plate number, the damage to your bicycle, your helmet, and any visible bodily injuries.
- Get a journal and record the progression of the treatment for your injuries.
All the above-described actions should be taken only if you are physically able. If you are seriously injured, get immediate medical treatment. Unfortunately, many bicyclists suffer catastrophic injuries in these types of accidents.
When a bicyclist is hit by a sedan, pickup truck, or SUV driver, the rider usually bears the brunt of the damage. This is because they have virtually no protection from the full force of impact of the collision. As a result, common types of injuries suffered by bicyclists include:
- Traumatic brain injuries or open head wounds
- Partial or complete paralysis from a severe spinal cord injury
- Bulging or ruptured disc in your low back;
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments
- Amputated limbs
To learn more about common causes of bicycle accidents and how to avoid them, watch the video below:Fair Oaks Bicycle Accident FAQ
Should I talk to the other driver's insurance company?
Shortly after the accident, do not be surprised if you receive a call from the other driver's auto insurance company. Do not fall for the insurance adjuster's friendly nature. They have a job to do and are out to make a profit by not paying anything on an injury claim. The adjuster will probably ask you to give a recorded statement about the accident. Politely decline, then call a Fair Oaks bicycle accident attorney to discuss your legal options.
How long do I have to file a claim for my bicycle accident?
You need to ensure a lawsuit is filed within two years from the accident date. This is because California has a statute of limitations for bicycle accident injury lawsuits. Any lawsuit filed after two years will likely not be heard by a Fair Oaks civil court. The statute of limitations is shorter if you were hit by a government vehicle. In California, you only have six months to file a claim for financial restitution. As you can see, you must take action right away after an accident and contact an experienced injury lawyer.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fair Oaks, CA
Have you or someone you love been injured in an accident? Please contact our experienced Fair Oaks bicycle accident lawyers immediately at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly, and no-obligation advice. We can also be reached online at www.AutoAccident.com.
We have served the Fair Oaks and Greater California community since 1982 as an injury lawyer, helping people and their families recover after an accident.