Eureka Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Did you know that Eureka motorcycle riders have a fatality risk of over 27 times that of someone in a passenger vehicle? Those who are injured in a motorcycle crash often suffer serious injuries. Many of the accident injuries and fatalities of motorcyclists are caused by someone else’s negligence. When this happens, the rider can claim compensation, which can cover all medical expenses, time away from work and reimburse them for their pain and suffering.Risk of Injuries In and Around Eureka
Eureka is located in an area known for its beautiful scenery and turning, twisting roads that are a real temptation to motorcycle riders. To visit other cities up and down the coast, riders have to take U.S. Route 101 because it is the only real option. However, highway travel can be dangerous, and this road is heavily used both by passenger vehicles and big rigs. Many motorcycle riders are cautious and wear approved helmets and protective clothing and make themselves more visible. Unfortunately, negligent drivers can catch them unaware and end up causing the rider serious injuries. Some of the ways motorists display negligence include:
- Stopping suddenly: A motorist who stops too quickly when a motorcycle rider is coming up behind can cause the rider to strike the back of the car and be ejected.
- Dangerous left turns A driver who misjudges the speed of a motorcycle rider or doesn’t look carefully when turning can cause a serious collision.
- Dooring: A driver who parallels parks at a curb and opens their car door without checking for motorcycle riders can cause a dangerous accident.
- Lane splitting: Although lane splitting is legal in California, if a motorist doesn’t realize a motorcyclist is doing this, they can change lanes suddenly without looking or commit another negligent act that leads to an accident.
- Dangerous roads: Debris, crumbled pavement, potholes, and malfunctioning signs or signals increase the risk of a motorcycle accident.
- Speeding: Drivers who are speeding are less likely to come to a quick stop in an emergency. Your Eureka motorcycle accident attorney can help by using accident reconstruction techniques to determine speed.
- Running a stop sign or red light: At intersections, a negligent motorist who ignores a red light or stops sign can easily crash into a motorcyclist.
- Defective parts: A defective motorcycle part can lead to a collision. In these cases, the manufacturer, designer, wholesaler, and others can be held liable through a product liability lawsuit.
In the following video, Eureka attorney Ed Smith discusses what you should know about motorcycle accidents:Expenses in a Motorcycle Accident
Any of the above negligent causes of traffic accidents involving a motorcycle can lead to severe injuries or fatalities. Those who have been injured in motorcycle collisions often have major expenses from care in the emergency room, medical bills, and rehabilitation to wages lost from being unable to work. However, an injured motorcyclist does not have to accept the first offer from their insurance company. An experienced Eureka motorcycle accident lawyer can help them recover the compensation they deserve. Following are some of the types of injuries that are common in motorcycle crashes:
- Broken bones such as shoulder or pelvic fractures can require surgery and take a long time to heal.
- Nerve damage can result in the deadening of the sense of touch and a burning or tingling sensation. In addition, a person with nerve damage may experience weakness in a limb and have trouble controlling its function.
- Spinal cord damage can lead to partial or complete paralysis. These types of injuries can cause tremendous change and diminish a person’s quality of life.
- Traumatic brain injuries can be mild and recover in time. However, more serious TBIs can result in personality changes, problems with memory and affect the person’s ability to care for themselves. In some cases, a TBI may lead to a long-term coma or death.
- Disfigurement and scarring can affect a person’s emotional and psychological well-being. In addition, those who experience facial disfigurement can require plastic surgery and dental work to repair the damage, which is costly and time-consuming.
- Chest injuries can cause severe trauma, which takes time to heal and may require surgery. Injuries to the chest can range from fractured ribs or a punctured lung to bruising of the heart.
- Abdominal trauma may lead to internal bleeding or organ damage. Abdominal trauma frequently requires emergency care and surgery to repair.
Because evidence is necessary to support your claim for compensation following a motorcycle collision, our law firm does its best to gather the evidence needed. Our investigators go to the accident collision site immediately and begin by looking over the police report for inaccuracies and conducting interviews with the witnesses. Next, accident reconstruction is performed, which clearly shows the position of the vehicles before the crash and how the collision happened. This type of evidence is commonly used for insurance negotiations and in court. The investigators also searched for a business, home, and traffic surveillance cameras to see if the motorcycle accident was caught on tape.
In some cases, government negligence can lead to a motorcycle accident or contribute to one. The investigators search for potholes, road debris, foliage that obscures street signs, and other evidence of negligence. When a government entity has contributed to or caused an accident, it can be held responsible. When the evidence is compiled, our lawyers work to build a strong case that favors our client. This information is used when we negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company. If the insurance company balks at paying our clients what they deserve, we can use the evidence in court.Eureka Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle riders are at high risk of injuries when they are involved in an accident. If a negligent driver or entity caused your injuries, you are eligible to file a claim for compensation. Please contact our experienced Eureka motorcycle accident lawyers at (707) 564-1900 or at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice.
You are invited to look over reviews by our previous clients and cases that our firm handled at:
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 6.11.21]
Image by Tom und Nicki Löschner from Pixabay
:cd llo [cs 1,060]