El Dorado Hills Brain Injury Lawyer
In the medical field, a traumatic brain injury is one of the most severe diagnoses that someone can face. The brain controls all of the body’s important functions, from breathing to moving, thinking, feeling, and everything in between.
Many patients wonder how someone suffers a brain injury. The brain is encased in the protection of the skull. While this creates a barrier to the outside world against some types of trauma and infection, it isn’t invincible. Any force that cracks the skull, causes the brain to impact the skull, or penetrates and contacts the brain directly can lead to a traumatic brain injury. Symptoms start to develop when the brain loses blood, oxygen or swells in a closed space. Examples of common causes of brain injuries include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Oxygen Deprivation (such as drowning)
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Heavy Equipment Accidents
- Physical Assault
These are only a few of the many causes of neurological damage. Everyone needs to remember that a brain injury can occur at any time from seemingly innocuous causes. Even slipping on a wet pool deck can lead to a brain injury that requires immediate medical attention.Treatment Options to Consider
After a patient has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, they might be overwhelmed by the medical jargon. There are several treatment options that the medical team will consider based on the type of brain injury and its severity. Options include:
- Rest: This is a common option for patients who have suffered a minor concussion. The idea is to give the brain time to rest and relax by minimizing neurological stimuli. This means limiting exposure to lights, screens, and intense thought.
- Medical Therapy: There are several common medications that a patient could be prescribed, including anti-inflammatories and blood pressure medications. It is important to ensure that the brain receives the right amount of oxygen and doesn’t swell in a closed space.
- Surgical Therapy: Sometimes, emergency care is necessary. Neurosurgeons may need to perform a craniotomy. This will temporarily remove a flap of the patient’s skull while the brain swells and reduces in size. Removing the skull will prevent the patient’s brain from herniating. The skull is put back in place once the swelling has gone down.
The following video explains more about how traumatic brain injuries are treated with new technology and treatments.An El Dorado Hills Brain Injury Lawyer Can Help
When a family faces the prospect of a brain injury, they may not know what to do next. Between medical therapy, fighting with insurance companies, and any legal aspects, they might forget to ask for help. An El Dorado Hills brain injury lawyer can provide valuable assistance, such as:
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Most patients have no experience dealing with insurance companies. An experienced attorney knows how these companies operate and can help get claims paid out, including health insurance and disability insurance claims.
- Legal Rights: It is important for patients to understand their legal rights. A brain injury lawyer can give patients an objective opinion regarding what their case is worth and their options for pursuing damages.
- Stress Relief: For patients dealing with a brain injury, the medical recovery process is more than enough to keep them busy. Allow an experienced attorney to take all of the ancillary obligations off of the to-do list. This will allow patients to focus all of their energy on making a full recovery.
For more information, contact an experienced El Dorado Hills Brain Injury lawyer today.El Dorado Hills Brain Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an El Dorado Hills Brain Injury Lawyer. Many people suffer a brain injury every day, creating an uncertain future for their loved ones. Any family dealing with a traumatic brain injury can call us today at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for fast, free, and friendly advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.5.21]
:dr bw [CS 802]
Photo by Pixabay