El Dorado Hills Brain Injury Lawyer
A traumatic brain injury is one of the most severe diagnoses that someone can face in the medical field. The brain controls all the body's essential functions, from breathing to moving, thinking, feeling, and everything in between. A traumatic brain injury could lead to chronic comorbidities or even death. Because of this, every patient and their loved ones should keep some basic information in mind.
If you or a loved one has suffered severe head trauma in an accident in El Dorado Hills caused by someone else's negligence, call our injury lawyers at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.How Does Brain Injury Occur?
Many patients wonder how someone suffers a brain injury. The brain is encased in the protection of the skull. While this creates a barrier to the outside world against some types of traumas and infection, it isn't invincible. Any force that cracks the head, causes the brain to impact the skull, or penetrates and contacts the brain directly can lead to a traumatic brain injury. Symptoms develop when the brain loses blood oxygen or swells in a closed space.What Are the Common Causes of a Brain Injury?
Examples of common causes of brain injuries include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Oxygen Deprivation (such as drowning)
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Heavy Equipment Accidents
- Physical Assault
These are only a few of the many causes of neurological damage. It is essential to remember that a brain injury can occur anytime from seemingly innocuous causes. Even slipping on a wet pool deck can lead to a brain injury that requires immediate medical attention.
Treatment Options to Consider for a TBI
After a patient has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, they might be overwhelmed by the medical jargon. There are several treatment options that the medical team will consider based on the type of brain injury and its severity. Options include:
- Rest: This is a standard option for patients who have suffered a minor concussion. The idea is to give the brain time to rest and relax by minimizing neurological stimuli. This means limiting exposure to lights, screens, and intense thought.
- Medical Therapy: There are several common medications that a patient could be prescribed, including anti-inflammatories and blood pressure medications. It is essential to ensure that the brain receives the right amount of oxygen and doesn't swell in a closed space.
- Surgical Therapy: Sometimes, emergency care is necessary. Neurosurgeons may need to perform a craniotomy. This will temporarily remove a flap of the patient's skull while the brain swells and reduces in size. Removing the skull will prevent the patient's brain from herniating. The skull is put back in place once the swelling has gone down.
The following video explains how traumatic brain injuries are treated with new technology and treatments.How an Injury Attorney Can Help with Your TBI Case
When a family faces the prospect of a brain injury, they may not know what to do next. Between medical therapy, fighting with insurance companies, and any legal aspects, they might forget to ask for help. An El Dorado Hills brain injury lawyer can provide valuable assistance, such as:
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Most patients have no experience dealing with insurance companies. An experienced attorney knows how these companies operate and can help pay claims, including health and disability insurance claims.
- Legal Rights: Patients need to understand their legal rights. A brain injury lawyer can give patients an objective opinion regarding their case is worth and their options for pursuing damages.
- Stress Relief: For patients with a brain injury, the medical recovery process is more than enough to keep them busy. Allow an experienced accident attorney to take all ancillary obligations off the to-do list. This will allow patients to focus all their energy on making a full recovery.
How much is my brain injury case worth?
Nobody can guarantee an exact settlement for your brain injury case. Several factors will influence the total amount of compensation you may be able to recover, including the cost of your medical treatment and the amount of lost income from your injury. However, the best brain injury lawyer from your area can evaluate your TBI case and determine the potential outcome based on the past settlements of similar cases.
What evidence will be used to prove damages in my brain injury case?
The success of your case will depend on the strength of the evidence in the case. Even if it is evident that the at-fault party caused your injuries, you will need strong evidence to prove negligence. Some common evidence of damages in brain injury cases includes medical documents, photos and videos of your injuries, and proof of lost benefits.
Contact Our Brain Injury Lawyers in El Dorado Hills, CA
Many people suffer a brain injury daily, creating an uncertain future for their loved ones. Any family dealing with a traumatic brain injury from an accident can call our El Dorado Hills brain attorneys at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
See our past verdicts/settlements and our client reviews on Yelp, Google, and Avvo.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 9.14.22]
:dr bw [cs 861]
Photo by Pixabay