East Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles are a convenient and cost-effective way to get around East Sacramento and throughout California. This is especially true in East Sacramento, with its excellent weather. Motorcycle use is no longer just a weekend hobby but has transitioned into a full-time mode of transportation. One downside is the complete lack of protection afforded to motorcyclists as they take to the roads.
Because of this, accidents often have dire consequences, and fatalities are more frequent than those seen with drivers of passenger vehicles. Let’s look at the way a motorcycle rider or their family can obtain damages, the different types of motorcycle accidents, and the most common injuries that occur.An East Sacramento Law Firm That Has Your Back
At AutoAccident.com, we work with our clients to see them obtain the compensation they deserve. It is important for clients to always be in the loop, and California attorney Ed Smith and his staff make certain of it. Negligence happens when someone fails to care about the safety of others. At our law firm, we believe that no one should have to pay financially for the mistakes and recklessness of others.Our Family Works to Help Yours
With this in mind, we fight for the justice that everyone deserves. From the free case review to each aspect of the motorcycle accident claim, our investigators and lawyers leave no stone unturned to find why our client was injured. This is just the first step in a complex process that ends with a successful case outcome. Call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 to get started. The longer you wait, the risk that evidence will be hidden or lost increases. Remember, you will pay nothing until your case is won.Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2021, 5,932 motorcyclists were killed on U.S. roads. Although there was a decrease in deaths from the previous year caused by accidents, it still shows that motorcycle riders represent a higher percentage of fatalities than other groups.Injuries That Occur in a Motorcycle Crash
Bikers involved in motorcycle accidents often suffer serious injuries because of their lack of physical protection. This means they may need more extensive medical treatment, take longer to recover from their injuries, and their lives may be altered by the experience. In these cases, an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer from East Sacramento can help. Some of the more serious injuries are:
- Traumatic brain injuries can range from a concussion to open fracture, hemorrhage, and other trauma.
- Back injuries can result in trauma to muscles, ligaments or cause a herniated disc or fractured vertebrae. These injuries can result in chronic pain, which can interfere with an individual’s lifestyle or ability to work.
- Spinal cord injuries can result in a loss of sensation, function, or mobility. The extent of the trauma depends on where the injury occurred.
- Chest injuries can cause fractured ribs, a punctured lung, or damage to the heart.
- Bone fractures can protrude from the skin and require surgical repair, especially if the damage is extensive.
In a motor vehicle accident, the passengers and driver inside are protected because they are surrounded by metal and have airbags and seat belts. A motorcyclist has none of this protection, which is why they often suffer serious injuries or become a traffic fatality. Some of the reasons a motorist can cause a collision with a rider to include:
- Motorists are psychologically geared to spot other drivers on the roadway. They are less likely to spot a motorcycle rider, bicyclist, or pedestrian. This is the reason they often say, “I never saw the motorcyclist” following an accident.
- A driver turning left often causes an accident. In these cases, the driver believes they have enough time to turn and misjudge the distance and speed of the rider.
- Tailgating accidents cause severe injuries. When a driver stops short in front of a motorcyclist, the rider can be ejected, run over, or crushed.
- Texting while driving causes motorcycle crashes. Drivers have enough trouble spotting a motorcyclist on the road. Texting interferes with their ability to process that information and takes their eyes from the roadway, leading to a crash.
- Speeding by a motorist increases the risk of fatalities in any type of collision. It is especially deadly when a more vulnerable road user is involved.
At AutoAccident.com, we have successfully handled motorcycle accident injury cases for many years to provide our clients with the maximum compensation they deserve. We start out by sending our investigative team to the accident site to gather evidence. Some of their areas of investigation include:
- The police report is reviewed for inaccuracies, which could make it difficult to place a motorcycle accident case.
- Witnesses are interviewed to understand what they saw. If their statements coincide with the client’s claim, they may be used as witnesses if the case goes to court.
- The medical records of the rider are examined by an expert. This can help determine compensation and where and how the rider was struck.
- Investigators look for signs of negligence by the motorist, such as distracted driving, speeding, intoxication, and others.
- Traffic, road, and cell phone cameras are sought, which may have filmed the collision.
- The investigators look for signs of government negligence such as potholes, debris, or gravel in the roadway and overhanging foliage that might have led to or contributed to the accident. The government agency responsible for maintenance may be held legally liable for injuries.
After the investigators compiled the evidence, our experienced East Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyers use it to build a case in support of our client’s claim for damages. This data can either be used in negotiations with the insurance provider or in court.
If you suffer an injury in a traffic collision as a motorcyclist, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your losses if a negligent driver caused the incident. You may be eligible for reimbursement of lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and more. For more details on how to place a claim for financial compensation, contact an experienced East Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer from our law office at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. Our legal team offers free and friendly case advice.Editor's Note: updated 12.1.23 Image by Albrecht Fietz from Pixabay cd llo [cs 1063]