Dixon Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles are a pretty common choice of transportation, especially in California where the weather is nice and warm all year round. However, riding a bike comes with a wide range of risks, which requires the rider to take extra safety measures. Across the country, motorcycle accidents occur quite often and cause numerous serious injuries and deaths. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 4800 motorcycle deaths occur every year and motorcycle crash fatalities happen 29 times more often than car accident deaths.Motorcycle Accidents in California
California is one of the states with the most motorcycle accidents. In 2013, nearly 12,000 riders were involved in a motorcycle accident that resulted in 480 deaths. Gaining an understanding of motorcycle accident statistics is an excellent way to address the increasing number of crashes that happen every year.Motorcycle Accident Statistics in California
- Drivers 25 to 34 years of age are most likely to be involved in a motorcycle crash.
- About a quarter of deadly motorcycle accidents involve liquor.
- Nearly 25 percent of motorcyclists in fatal crashes didn’t have a legal motorcycle license.
- Less than 60 percent of riders killed in collisions were wearing helmets.
- Superbikes are involved in more accidents than any other types of motorcycles.
- Head and brain injuries are the most common wounds sustained in a motorcycle accident.
- Motorcycle collisions decrease in the winter season.
Many motorcyclists assume they are to blame for the crash. However, the majority of accidents are caused by other drivers, especially in cases where the motorists are not aware of a motorcyclist’s speed or failed to obey the rules of the road. Some common types of driver negligence in motorcycle accidents include:
- Under the Influence - the driver was drunk or high on drugs.
- Distracted - the driver was texting and driving, eating or playing with the radio.
- Blind Spots - the driver failed to use the mirror when changing lanes.
- Moving Violations - the driver was tailgating or failed to signal when changing lanes.
Aside from driver mistakes, other factors that could cause a motorcycle accident include:
- Defective Parts – if a motorcycle or vehicle has a defective part that led to a crash, the manufacturer could be held liable.
- Road Conditions – if an accident occurs due to inadequate signage, potholes or other dangerous road defects, the government agency could be responsible.
Watch YouTube Video: Motorcycle Safety Awareness PSA. This public service announcement shows how one driver's simple mistake in a motorcycle accident can haunt her forever.Helmet Laws in California
California is one of 19 states and the District of Columbia with a universal helmet law. What that means is that the rider and passenger must wear a helmet at all times. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), helmets reduce the risk of serious head injuries and deaths by 29 percent in the event of an accident.
Helmets must meet minimum safety standards set by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT). Helmets meeting federal standards include:
- Weight – helmets must weigh at least three pounds.
- Thick Inner Liner – the inner liner must be at least an inch thick and made of polystyrene foam.
- Sturdy Chin Straps – the chin straps must be durable and be fastened to the shell of the helmet with solid rivets.
- Design – helmets must not stick out more than two-tenths of an inch from the shell.
Anyone, no matter the rider or the passenger, who breaks the law by riding a motorcycle without a proper safety helmet will receive a citation.Why You Should Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When someone has been involved in a motorcycle accident, the damages sustained physically and financially can be intense. Contacting a motorcycle accident attorney is an essential step in dealing with the repercussion of a crash. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you should talk to a lawyer to understand your legal rights. You may be entitled to receive compensation from insurance companies to pay for lost wages, medical bills, damaged property, pain and suffering as well as other costs relating to the crash.Dixon Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Dixon motorcycle accident attorney. With so many vehicles on the road in California, riding a motorcycle can be risky and dangerous. If you or a family member has been injured in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, call me for free and friendly legal advice. I can be reached at 707-564-1900 or 800-404-5400. You can also contact me online.
I've been helping clients in the Dixon area and throughout Northern California with personal injury and wrongful death cases since 1982.
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Feel free to read through some of our verdicts and settlements.
You can see my client reviews at:
Visit my website at www.autoaccident.com.
Photo by pixabay.com on pexels
:cha [cs 834] JC