Discovery Bay Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
The town of Discovery Bay was founded in the early 1970s and was widely known as a summer resort community at the time. Fast forward to today, over 16,000 residents consider this unincorporated area of Contra Costa County home all year round and enjoy its small-town charm. Approximately 40 percent of the homes in Discovery Bay are located on the western side, while the remaining homes are in the original part of the town. There is no shortage of outdoor activities here as the California Delta may be enjoyed by those who love to fish, wakeboard, waterski, and boat. Located along State Route 4, the area sees its fair share of traffic by those commuting in and out of the San Francisco Bay Area. With such traffic flows may come the potential for motor vehicle collisions resulting in traumatic injuries.
After a car accident in Discovery Bay or elsewhere in Contra Costa County, you need the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect your rights and interests. Get started today by calling our law firm for free, friendly advice on your case at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400.
The purpose of bringing a personal injury case is to recover the compensation you need for the harm that has been done to you because of someone else’s negligence. Financial recovery through such cases is essential to covering medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses in connection with accident-related injuries. Since 1982, the attorneys at our personal injury law firm have helped residents of Discovery Bay, just like you, recover the fair compensation needed to move forward from the situation. Our legal team has a track record of obtaining favorable outcomes in cases handled on behalf of our clients. Give us a call to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced accident attorneys and learn how we can help you and your family through this stressful situation today.What to Expect from a Bodily Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
Any individual who suffers injuries in a motor vehicle collision or another type of accident will usually come into contact with the insurance company representing the other party. There are some stressful situations when it is determined that the at-fault party has insufficient or no liability coverage. In either of these cases, a claimant may turn to their auto insurance policy for recourse if they carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM and UIM). It is essential to carry UM and UIM protection limits that exceed the minimum liability insurance requirements set out by California law to cover resulting damages, especially when serious injuries are involved. What is great about UM coverage is that it may protect you in the event of a hit-and-run accident.
Financial compensation through a first-party or third-party insurance claim is intended to make the plaintiff whole again through the form of economic damages and non-economic damages. Recovering compensation for traumatic injuries resulting from a crash is not always straightforward, as there may be challenges throughout the claims process. The unfortunate reality that may present following a car accident is that the other party’s insurance company may resort to defense tactics as a way of delaying, devaluing, or denying bodily injury claims. The same approach may also occur in first-party auto insurance claims under UM coverage and UIM coverage.
There is some speculation that insurers resort to defense tactics as a way of protecting their profit margins. Regardless of the potential ulterior motives behind such practices, it is crucial to retain legal counsel with years of experience handling injury cases like yours. When you hire the best Discovery Bay car accident lawyer, you can rest assured knowing that your case will be in good hands as you work on recovering from your injuries and getting your life back on track. For information on how to find the best injury lawyer in your area to represent you, watch this video.Can Punitive Damages Be Recovered in a Personal Injury Case in California?
The purpose of punitive damages or exemplary damages in an accident case is to serve as a punishment against an at-fault party for their egregious actions. Exemplary damages are separate from economic and non-economic damages and are generally awarded at the discretion of the court. They are intended to make an example out of the negligent party as a way of deterring similar behavior from them in the future. Cases where punitive damages may be sought from the negligent party include egregious conduct such as excessive speeding or driving under the influence (DUI). Refer to California Civil Code Section 3294 for additional information on punitive damages.Why Do You Need an Attorney for a Personal Injury Claim?
After getting into a motor vehicle crash, you may not recognize the immediate need to discuss your case with an attorney after you have suffered an injury. However, if the insurance company is disputing or denying payment for accident-related injuries that will likely require extensive medical treatment, it is essential to consider retaining legal counsel to help you recover the financial compensation you need and deserve. Some of the reasons why it is best to have all aspects of your civil case handled by a Discovery Bay personal injury lawyer include:
- Handle Communications: When an injured party hires an attorney to represent them, the lawyer will handle all communications with the insurance company and defense counsel moving forward. This is essential to the successful outcome of a personal injury case as claims adjusters are trained to request written or recorded statements from claimants and use that information against them in their claim. Having an attorney that is well-versed in the various tactics that insurers may utilize in the claims process will make all the difference. An experienced lawyer will know the best way to communicate with the insurance carrier and devise an effective strategy to work toward a successful case resolution.
- Assess the Value of the Case: A claimant may leap at what may appear as a reasonable insurance settlement despite it not covering the full extent of traumatic injuries and losses incurred. What is most unfortunate is that such settlement offers may be calculated through the use of computer software such as Colossus that may not fully account for the human aspect of resulting damages. An injury lawyer can work with expert witnesses from various fields to determine an accurate estimation of past and future damages, ensuring that the payment will compensate the plaintiff for all their accident-related injuries and losses. The costs of working with expert witnesses in a civil case may be staggering, and you will want to hire the best personal injury lawyer in Discovery Bay with the resources to make that possible.
- Meet Filing Criteria and Deadlines: The statute of limitations for a personal injury case in California is generally two years from the date of the incident. This is outlined in the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1. Conversely, the filing deadline may be reduced to as little as six months in cases involving negligence on the part of a government entity. Under these circumstances, the case may be subjected to a six-month statute of limitations. This is by the California Government Code Section 911.2. Failing to meet the statute of limitations applicable to any injury case may result in it being dismissed by the court and the loss of the right to seek compensatory damages.
- Take the Case to Civil Court: If all attempts at a fair settlement agreement with the insurer have been exhausted, it may be necessary to take the case to civil court to move forward. At this point in the legal process, it is necessary to involve an experienced accident attorney to protect your rights and interests. Contacting a lawyer immediately following the incident will allow them the time they need to collect and preserve evidence before it is lost or destroyed over time, conduct an independent investigation of the crash, work with expert witnesses, calculate economic and non-economic damages, and build a strong case to present in the courtroom for a judge or jury to decide an appropriate award.
- Contingency Fee Basis: Our Discovery Bay personal injury attorneys at AutoAccident.com handle accident cases under a contingency fee agreement. This means that our law firm will not charge you any fees upfront. Fees for legal representation will only be collected if we obtain a successful resolution in your civil case.
When you have suffered injuries in an accident caused by the negligence of another party or entity, the last thing you should have to deal with is difficult insurance companies looking to pay as little as possible on your bodily injury claim. At our personal injury law firm, we understand how stressful this situation may be for you and your family. When you turn to us for legal representation, we will be there to protect your interests and right to fair compensation. Give us a call today to schedule a free case evaluation and learn more about how our legal team can help.Contact a Personal Injury Attorney in Discovery Bay, CA Today
Most parties injured in traffic collisions have more important things going on in their lives than dealing with personal injury claims. Getting into a car wreck may cause immense stress and frustration from mounting medical expenses for treatment of accident-related injuries and time away from work to recover to costs of repairing or replacing a damaged vehicle and other losses. At our law firm, we understand how stressful this situation may be for you and your loved ones. We would be honored to put our resources, skills, and decades of experience to work for you and your civil case. Call today for free, friendly case advice at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400.
Photo Source: By "12019" via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1671] bw