Discovery Bay Bicycle Accident Lawyer
It’s easy to tell how popular bicycling is in Discovery Bay, not only by the number of bike shops but by the many trails that people can enjoy. Although originally founded as a getaway spot for summer vacationers and those looking for a delightful place to spend the weekend, it has developed into a community with many things to do and see. However, with tourism and an increasing population, the risk of being injured in a bicycle accident grows also and can leave the cyclist with mounting medical bills, pain and suffering and the inability to work.Call a Discovery Bay Injury Attorney When You’ve Been Hurt
The Discovery Bay injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com have helped riders in obtaining the compensation they deserve when their accident was the fault of another person or entity. It’s difficult enough to suffer an injury and face medical bills, be unable to work and endure the pain and suffering. The injured person should not also be expected to pay for their losses. Contact our injury lawyers today at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 to find out how we can help you. We offer a free consultation, and it carries no obligation on your part.Are Bicycle Accidents Common in Contra Costa?
In 2019, there were 210 bicyclist accident injuries and fatalities reported in the county by the California Office of Traffic Safety. Thirty of those accidents involved children under the age of 15. Although Contra Costa County did not rank among the highest for bicycle accidents, the numbers were high enough to be of real concern.Who Can Be Responsible for a Bicycle Accident?
An accident cause and who was at fault are important factors to determine liability for a bicycle crash injury, such as the following:
- A cyclist may sue a driver of a motor vehicle or his or her insurance company if the motorist is at fault.
- Cycling accidents can be caused by pedestrians or other cyclists when they violate the right of way of another bicycle rider.
- A cyclist who is injured from a dog biting or jumping at them has the right to sue the animal's owner. A claim can be made against the homeowner’s insurance policy if the accident happens on their property.
- It may be possible to file a claim against the government agency in charge of the design or maintenance of a roadway if it was in poor repair or if debris caused the bicyclist to fall. Because the deadline for filing against a government agency is only six months, and other statutes of limitations may apply, enlisting the help of an injury lawyer can be a good idea.
- A cyclist who has been injured in a bicycle accident because of a defective part or substandard repairs can file a lawsuit against the manufacturer or repairer. A claim against a manufacturer and others in the production line is made with a product liability claim. California claims for bicycle defects are not required to prove negligence. Rather, the plaintiff must show that the defective product was used as intended and was unaltered.
- Be careful and stay safe. Get out of the way of cars or other cyclists if you are in the middle of a road or a bike path.
- Do not hesitate to call 911 to summon police and emergency medical assistance, even if you do not feel as though you were seriously injured. People involved in an accident often experience an adrenaline rush afterward and may not realize that they have been injured. Delayed symptoms are not uncommon after an accident, and it’s important to get yourself checked out by going to your doctor or the emergency room.
- When the police arrive, explain what happened and make sure to get the officer's name as well as his/her badge number and ask for a copy of the accident report.
- If there were other vehicles involved in the accident, make sure you exchange information with them, including witnesses. Contact information such as names, phone numbers and addresses are important. If a motor vehicle was involved, take down the insurance information and license plate number.
- Keep your emotions under control, be polite and don’t say anything that may lead people to believe you were at fault for the accident.
- Take photos or record a video on your phone of the accident scene, damage and your injuries if possible. Include any debris on the road or damage that might have contributed to your accident. This is helpful for your Discovery Bay bicycle accident lawyer.
- Seek medical care at an emergency room or from your own physician. Because recovery of medical expenses is usually a big part of an injury claim, having a record of your medical visit is important, especially if you’ve suffered serious injuries. Otherwise, the insurance company may say you obviously weren’t injured because you didn’t get medical attention.
- As soon as you can, write down how the collision occurred. The memory sometimes becomes a bit foggy after an accident, and it’s important to write it all down while it’s fresh.
- Do not speak to the at-fault party’s attorney or their insurance company. The insurance company will try to settle with you for the lowest possible amount, which means if you have a significant injury or delayed symptoms, you will not be able to recover the compensation you deserve.
- Keep records of losses you sustained because of the accident, including your medical bills and lost wages.
- By using a Discovery Bay bicycle accident attorney to handle the details of your crash and negotiate for you with the insurance provider, you can avoid the legal wrangling and probably obtain a much higher amount of compensation than if you handled it yourself.
A bicycle accident involving a negligent motorist happens all the time. Following are some of the most common reasons for collisions such as:
- A driver turning right at an intersection cuts off a bicyclist going straight along the bike lane.
- A bicycle rider is cut off while they are entering the road.
- A bicyclist gets rear-ended by a vehicle because the motorist is distracted or speeding.
- The driver of a motor vehicle runs a stop sign or red light and collides with a bicyclist.
- A driver or their passenger, in a vehicle parked at the curb, opens their car door, resulting in a dooring accident.
As mentioned in the following video, lawyer Ed Smith explains how to find an experienced attorney to handle your case:Discovery Bay Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I'm Ed Smith, a Discovery Bay bicycle accident lawyer. Our free and friendly advice is available to those bicyclists injured in car accidents caused by negligent drivers or others. If you would like to get in touch with our injury lawyers, please call (925) 428-5220.
In case you are outside of the area code, call (800) 404-5400. We are also accessible by sending us an online message. Feel free to look over our Verdicts and Settlements page to see how our injury lawyers have helped others.
:cd llo