Chico Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
State Route 99 runs right through Chico, and as a major highway, it is not surprising that Chico residents are involved in a fair share of serious accidents while traveling on Highway 99. While some of these accidents involve only personal motor vehicles, other devastating accidents have included trucks, big rigs, and other commercial vehicles, and sometimes even motorcycles. Other motor vehicle accidents also occur often at some of the City’s busier intersections like 20th and Park Avenue, or Ninth and Maine, and the intersection that has earned notoriety in the cycling community: East First Avenue and Oleander.Top Causes of Motor Vehicle Collisions and Injuries
Auto accidents can result in serious injury or death. Some common causes of vehicular crashes include:
- Another driver was inattentive to their surroundings. Oftentimes this is the case when someone is talking on their cell phone or texting while driving.
- Someone was drunk or under the influence of drugs when they lost control of their vehicle, or they couldn’t properly operate their vehicle.
- Another driver was exhausted yet still decided to get behind the wheel.
- Someone else was driving too fast, or inappropriately changing lanes during inclement weather.
- Another motorist ran a red light or stoplight at the intersection, The other motorist was driving above the speed limit.
- Your vehicle or the vehicle of another driver got a flat tire which caused the car to swerve out of control.
This list is not meant to be exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of what might have been or may be the cause of your accident. No matter what causes your accident, if you were seriously injured, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Serious injuries may include broken bones and fractures, traumatic brain and spine injuries, burns, cuts and lacerations, and even cases where the accident resulted in a death.Other Types of Serious Personal Injury Cases
Our Chico law firm also handles catastrophic personal injury cases arising from:
- Dog bites and other animal bites
- Farming accidents
- Cycling accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Sports and recreational accidents
- All-terrain vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents that result in wrongful death
- Accidents that were caused by a dangerous or defective product
I decided to take Chico cases and handle them from my Sacramento office because I know that there aren’t many Chico personal injury lawyers who are able to deal with a serious personal injury case. Many personal injury lawyers in Chico either don’t have the experience or the resources necessary to handle a large personal injury case. Sadly, poor economic times caused many good lawyers to move out of the area.
I have practiced exclusively in personal injury law since 1982. I have a long record of successful case settlements and verdicts. I only take serious personal injury cases, like those where the client has suffered fractures, broken bones, head, and brain trauma or wrongful death. Clients come to Sacramento to meet with me out of a strong desire to work with a qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer who knows how to navigate through the injury claim process.Can I Afford An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney?
If after we’ve discussed your case, and we decide that it is a good case and that we are a good fit for each other, I will take your case on a contingency fee basis, meaning I don’t get paid until your case is won. Contingency fee agreements are usually the norm with most personal injury lawyers, but realize that personal injury lawsuits can get expensive, with experts and investigations, and most personal injury lawyers don’t have the financial resources to prepare a big personal injury case and have the time necessary to bring it to trial. My office, on the other hand, does have the financial resources and time to tackle a serious personal injury case and bring it to trial, so you don’t have to worry about any out-of-pocket expenses.
My Sacramento office is about ninety miles from Chico, which is a little over an hour-and-a-half away. If you have suffered serious and devastating injuries in an accident because of another’s negligent actions and I think you and I are a good fit, I will pay for your gas from Chico to Sacramento and put you up in a hotel so you don’t have a long ride both ways the same day.The Personal “Personal Injury Lawyer”
I’m known as the “personal” personal injury lawyer. I take the time to get to know you personally. This helps me to understand how your severe injuries have affected your life. It’s important for me to meet your family and friends. This way I can better understand how your injuries have impacted the lives of those you support and hold dear.
I handle serious personal injury and wrongful death cases only. If your case does not involve these types of losses, I still want you to call me as I can likely help you locate an attorney who can help you with less serious injury cases.
Even if you decide not to select me as your Chico personal injury lawyer, please watch this video I created on how to choose the right personal injury lawyer.
While choosing an injury lawyer is not easy, here are a few things you should keep in mind when selecting an accident attorney to handle your case:
- Has the attorney made you feel as though he or she really cares about you, your case and the serious injuries you have suffered? Or, do they sit on the other side of a high desk, looking down and speaking down to you?
- Does the attorney practice only personal injury law? If the Chico auto accident attorney also takes criminal and family law cases, for example, he or she may be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.
- Does the Chico car accident lawyer have trial experience? Can you verify this through client reviews and a long track record of high settlements and verdicts?
- How does the lawyer’s office look? Is it decorated and furnished nicely? Do the Chico personal injury attorney and the staff members greet you with warmth and professionalism?
Q: Should I call you first if I’ve been in an auto accident in Chico?
A: If you have been seriously injured in an auto accident, it’s probably a good idea to call 911 first, and then seek medical attention right away. Worry about yourself and others involved in the accident before worrying about retaining a lawyer. Even if you aren’t seriously injured in an auto accident, but you believe you or another involved needs assistance, you may still want to call the Chico Police Department Dispatch Center, available 24 hours a day, at (530) 897-4900.
Q: I live ninety miles away. Why should I hire you?
A: If you have been involved in an accident that has left you seriously injured, you don’t want just any lawyer handling your case. I have been handling personal injury cases since 1982, and I have a proven track record of success with my clients’ cases. While Chico is about ninety miles from Sacramento, and it is a long way to travel, especially for those who have sustained serious injuries, I can ensure you that by choosing me to represent you, you will receive the support and advocacy of a personable, dedicated team of people who will work tirelessly to obtain the results you deserve in your personal injury case.Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyers in Chico
I’m Ed Smith, a Chico personal injury attorney. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury after a motor vehicle accident in Chico or anywhere else in Butte County, call me at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
If you would like to learn more about the cases we've handled, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photo by Pixabay.com
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.15.20]