Cameron Park Brain Injury Lawyer
Hard to predict and even more challenging to treat, head and brain injuries could leave individuals with long-term impacts. These impacts could harm the quality of life for not only the individuals but also their family and friends.
It is helpful for individuals and their loved ones to take steps to prevent traumatic brain injuries. To do this effectively, it is vital to understand a few of the most common causes of TBIs.Common Causes of Head and Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury can occur at any time. Some of the most common causes of TBIs include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: When someone is involved in a motor vehicle collision, the rapid changes in direction and momentum can cause someone to strike his or her head. In addition to blunt trauma, penetrating head injuries can also occur in a road traffic accident, causing a severe TBI.
- Slip and Fall Injuries: While fall accidents may appear minor, some slip and fall injuries can actually lead to a traumatic brain injury. A wet floor or icy sidewalk and cause someone to slip and strike his or her head on the ground. This blunt trauma can lead to a severe head injury.
- Contact Sports: A concussion is only one type of brain injury suffered in contact sports. Any contact sport could place an individual at risk of suffering neurological damage.
If a loved one is involved in a severe accident, it is essential to understand some of the most common signs of a brain injury.The Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
- Severe, recurrent, or chronic headaches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Difficulty tolerating loud noises of bright lights
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Disoriented and not able to state their name, place, time, or purpose
- Trouble remembering old memories or forming new ones
- Emotional lability with rapid mood swings from euphoria to sadness and anger
Ultimately, anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical care as quickly as possible. He or she may have suffered a severe head injury and require emergent medical attention. This could include rapid imaging scans such as a CT scan or an MRI to look for a brain bleed, swelling, or any other signs of neurological damage.Treating Neurological Damage
Once an individual has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, the treatment process can start. There are several different ways that a medical professional may want to treat a head injury. Some of these include:
- Medications: Medications will be used to both control the pain and to manage the head injury. Many of the medicines will be used to control any brain swelling and keep the intracranial pressure within a safe range.
- Emergency Surgery: Some individuals could require surgery to relieve swelling inside the brain. Surgery is typically performed to prevent the brain from herniating, which might result in death.
- Therapy: After the individual has been stabilized, specialized therapists might be called. These professionals can help the patient regain lost motor or sensory functions.
After the treatment process has begun, it will be necessary for the individual and their family to follow-up with medical providers once leaving the hospital. The prognosis of a traumatic brain injury will vary depending on the severity of the neurological damage.
The video below explains why treatment depends on the type of injury a patient sustains.Contacting an Experienced Brain Injury Lawyer
When a loved one has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, the feeling of uncertainty can create a significant amount of stress. It is helpful to speak with an experienced brain injury lawyer in Cameron Park. Some of the ways that a compassionate attorney can help include:
- Review of the Records: A trained lawyer has experienced necessary to look at the medical records, the records in the accident, and any other documents. By going through this paperwork, an experienced attorney can make sure that every detail has been considered appropriately.
- Damages: These accidents can leave individuals with a significant amount of medical costs, property damage, and even pain and suffering. A caring Cameron Park personal injury lawyer can help families pursue damages related to the accident, assisting in their recovery.
- Court Cases: In some situations, the case may need to be moved from the negotiation table to the courtroom. Should a lawsuit need to go to trial, a trained legal professional can guide a family through this process.
Photo by: ab:dr cha [cs 913]