California Burn Injury Centers
Some of the bravest clients my office meet are those who survive serious burn injuries suffered on the job, during a major car accident -- or after being exposed to harmful chemicals or other substances. When immediate diagnostic care and treatment is obtained, most of these patients can eventually return to highly functional lives.
Always seek medical attention immediately if your burn injury is causing you severe pain. Be sure to have your doctor promptly evaluate you so that your injury won’t escalate in severity.
After you’ve visited an emergency room to stabilize your condition, you may soon require expert care that’s only available in a specialized burn injury center. We hope the following brief overview of major California burn centers will prove helpful to you. Several of these facilities are located relatively close to our offices in northern California. Many others are located further south and in the inland portions of our state.Burn Centers In and Near Sacramento
- UC Davis, Firefighters Burn Institute, Regional Burn Center. Adults over the age of 18 frequently seek treatment in this center located next to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. On its website, this facility notes that it provides clinical services for various burn ailments and injuries – including the following ones.
- All first, second and third-degree burns
- Burn reconstruction
- Inhalation injuries
- Chemical, scald, electrical and flame burns
- Steven Johnson Syndrome/Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Purpura fulminans
This 13,000 square-foot facility (formerly known as the UC Davis Regional Burn Center) is equipped with 12 ICU beds. In addition to the many treatment services listed above, the center also conducts extensive research and provides diverse training opportunities. A monthly support group is also available to burn patients.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children, Northern California. This Sacramento facility treats a wide variety of major pediatric medical conditions, including burns. As of 2017, this hospital has been serving the community for 20 years. It currently handles roughly 30,000 patients visits per year (and 13,000 unique patients). All children under age 18 receive free treatment. The Joint Commission has accredited this hospital and it’s recognized as a quality care provider by both the American Burn Association (ABA) and the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
The following video demonstrates how the Therapeutic Recreation & Child Life program at Shriners Hospitals for Children in Northern California helps prepare children for medical procedures.Burn Centers in the Bay Area and Bakersfield
- The Bothin Burn Center at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. During an average year, over 500 patients obtain treatment at this facility. It’s an American Burn Association Verified Burn Center. It offers 16 ICU beds, its own operating room, and ultrasonic hydrotherapy for bathing wounds.
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center’s Burn Center in San Jose. Over the past 35 years, this regional trauma burn center (with eight ICU beds) has treated both children and adults. It provides numerous treatment and rehabilitation options for burn victims suffering from chemical, thermal, contact, radiation, and electrical injuries.
- The Grossman Burn Center in the Bakersfield Memorial Hospital. This facility offers such critical care needs as a seven-bed ICU unit, pediatric ICU burn care, hydrotherapy treatments, and an outpatient clinic. (Another Grossman Burn Center is located in southern California in West Hills).
- Torrance Memorial Medical Center’s Certified Burn Center.In operation for over 40 years, this facility is one of only three American Burn Association-certified burn centers in Los Angeles Country. Physicians and other healthcare professionals often treat patients here who have survived nearby residential and industrial accidents and fires.
- UC San Diego Health’s Regional Burn Center. This is the only burn facility in the San Diego and Imperial County areas that’s been verified by both the America College of Surgeons and the American Burn Association. It’s a Level One adult and pediatric burn center. Specialized burn care treatments are provided here to over 450 patients a year. These services include plastic and reconstructive surgery, pain management, and physical and occupational therapy.
- The Edward G. Hirschman Burn Center at Arrowhead Medical Center. This hospital provides specialized burn care to residents of the four counties of San Bernardino, Inyo, Mono, and Riverside. Every year, over 300 people are admitted and treated as inpatients here – and about 100 more are seen on an outpatient basis. There are 14 beds in this burn unit. Approximately one-third of the patients treated here are under age eighteen.
- UC Irvine Health Regional Burn Center in Orange, California. This is the only Orange County burn center that’s been verified by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons. Each year, about 600 patients are treated here. Roughly one-third of them are under the age of eighteen.
Every burn level is treated here. Whenever the need to diagnose the depth of a burn wound may arise, this burn center partners with the Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic to obtain its specialized non-surgical services. As its website indicates, this teaching hospital offers a comprehensive set of burn treatment options to its patients.
- Los County has designated numerous trauma hospital facilities as BRCs (burn resource centers). They can be found in 14 separate facilities including Antelope Valley Hospital, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles, Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
- Orange County Burn Center at Orange County Global Medical Center in Santa Ana. Patients of all ages are treated here for a wide variety of burn conditions including flame burns, contact burns, those involving chemicals, electrical burns, friction burns and scald burns. Numerous skin conditions are also regularly treated and managed here – including Steven-Johnson (JS) Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.
Patients here benefit from such services as a trauma center, air transport, emergency burn care, an outpatient burn management program, a monthly support group for burn survivors, and a comprehensive program of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Numerous specialists regularly work together to address each patient’s unique needs.Sacramento Burn Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Burn Injury attorney. Although there are other burn centers operating within California, the list above provides a general overview of the many diverse offerings available to both local and out-of-state patients requiring high-quality burn care.
If you or a loved one needs a Sacramento lawyer because of a serious burn from a fire, call me today for free, friendly advice. You can reach me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 and online at AutoAccident.com.
Please take a moment to view my past Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photo by Pixabay
:eBs rey [cs 1195] bw
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 8.27.19]