Byron Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
You could be crossing the intersection of Byron Highway and Camino Diablo and be suddenly hit by a distracted driver who failed to yield your right of way. Keep in mind that unlike motorists, pedestrians are not protected by a steel frame, air bags and seat belts afforded by those occupying passenger vehicles.
Your injuries may be serious. You may require surgery. You may need several months or even years to recover from your pedestrian injuries. Or you may be suffering from the aftermath of a fatal pedestrian accident involving someone you love.Our Compassionate Injury Lawyers Can Help
When you’ve been injured or lost a loved one who was on foot and struck by a motor vehicle, a Byron pedestrian accident lawyer can help you obtain fair compensation, so you don’t face the financial problems without the proper help. While it won’t help you heal from your injuries any faster or mend your family’s broken heart, it can help you by giving you closure and a sense of justice by knowing the at-fault party is being held accountable. Call us at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 to schedule a free review of your case.How Dangerous Is It for Pedestrians in Contra Costa County?
In 2019, the California Office of Traffic Safety reported that 335 pedestrians were either injured or killed in traffic collisions. Thirty-three of them were under the age of 15, and 50 were over 65 years old. While the statistics for a number of other counties in Northern California are higher, it is obvious that a pedestrian in Byron can be facing a risk when they are out walking.Why Do All These Terrible Accidents Happen?
While pedestrians are responsible for their own injuries in some cases, most of these accidents are caused either by negligent motorists or badly maintained intersections. Drivers are accustomed to watching out for other motorists. Others sharing the roadway such as pedestrians, motorcyclists and those riding bicycles the drivers simply tune out. However, that is no excuse, and when a pedestrian is injured or a family loses their loved one to a negligent driver or other entity, they are entitled to recover compensation.What Types of Injuries Are Most Common in a Pedestrian Accident?
Although any kind of injury can occur to a pedestrian because of their lack of protection in a crash, the following are the most common and a pedestrian accident lawyer in Byron can help you get compensation:
- Broken bones: When a vehicle strikes a pedestrian, broken bones are a common result. This especially occurs because the pedestrian is usually thrown to the ground at great force as well as due to the impact of the vehicle.
- Head trauma: Injuries to the head may include skull fracture and severe damage to the face and teeth.
- Traumatic brain injury: Trauma from concussions to diffuse axonal injuries often occur. At a higher speed collision, the pedestrian may be thrown into the air and land forcefully on the concrete or end up hitting the hood of the vehicle or the windshield. A severe TBI can affect a person’s cognitive function or place them in a long-term coma. Many people die from these more serious types of trauma.
- Abdomen and lower back area: Serious internal injuries can occur to a pedestrian in their abdomen such as a ruptured spleen, perforated colon or internal bleeding. If the pedestrian is struck in a lower section of their body or lands hard on the pavement, they can suffer a herniated disc or broken pelvis.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spine can be devastating, causing partial or complete paralysis depending on where the break is. Those who suffer a severe spinal cord injury need medical care throughout their lifetime, and those with the most serious damage are often institutionalized because families cannot care for them at home.
A pedestrian accident can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Turning left: Pedestrians are hit three times more often by cars turning left than those who are making a right, according to statistics. Due to their attention being focused on other cars, drivers making left-hand turns aren't looking for pedestrians.
- Crosswalks that are unmarked: Crosswalks without provisions for pedestrians are often more dangerous because it can make a driver more apt to pass through without looking.
- Distracted drivers: There are many ways a driver can be distracted such as emailing, texting or changing the radio station. Pedestrians are at risk when a driver isn’t focused on the task of driving.
- Speeding: Speeding gives the driver less time to react if they see a pedestrian in the roadway or crossing the street. Increased speed also raises the risk of serious injuries to the pedestrian.
- Making a rolling stop: A rolling stop is when a driver slows but doesn’t actually come to a halt at an intersection.
- Drivers who are impaired: Drunk or drugged driving leads to many accidents because they cannot react quickly and may not see someone crossing the street.
- Illegal U-turns: While U-turns are allowed at some intersections, they aren’t at others and can cause a pedestrian injury accident because the walker doesn’t expect it.
- School zones: Speed limits are set low at school zones to avoid accidents with children, especially since they are not always as cautious as they should be. Going through a school zone increases the risk of a serious injury accident. School bus drivers may also be negligent and injure a pedestrian.
- Government negligence: When an intersection or roadway is poorly designed or maintained, it can lead to a pedestrian accident. Causes can include a malfunctioning or mistimed crossing or traffic lights, obscured corners and signs and others. The government entity may be held responsible for an accident that injuries a pedestrian in these cases. However, because the time limit for filing a claim against a government entity is only six months, it’s a good idea to have a pedestrian accident lawyer in Byron handle it for you to ensure the deadline is met. In addition, the lawyer can negotiate your settlement so you obtain fair compensation.
Our accident attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means you owe them nothing until your case has been won. We offer a free consultation with one of our pedestrian accident attorneys in Byron, which can be held either in person or virtually. During your consultation, the attorney will review your case, answer any questions you might have and let you know what options are open to recover damages. A consultation holds no obligation on your part.
Having a lawyer on your side helps you recover the compensation that you deserve since the at-fault party will certainly retain legal counsel to try and avoid being held responsible for your injuries. Because insurance companies commonly want to pay the least amount possible, having a Byron pedestrian accident attorney negotiating in your stead who is experienced in dealing with them is to your advantage.
To help you choose a personal injury lawyer, Attorney Ed Smith shares the following tips:Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Bryon, CA
Call us at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 if you have suffered an injury from a negligent motorist or other entity and want to find out about filing a claim. Our attorneys are ready to help. Please feel free to reach out to us online using our contact form. We would be glad to show you how we have helped others if you visit our Verdicts and Settlements page.
:cd  bw