Brentwood Truck Accident Lawyer
Like other states in the nation, California depends heavily on the trucking industry to transport products and goods in and out of the state. Many commercial trucks travel through California every day, including the city of Brentwood, increasing the overall traffic volume. When a big rig crash occurs, it may involve serious injury or even death. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident in Contra Costa County, contact an experienced attorney immediately.
Insurance companies are known for attempting to settle claims for as little as possible. Our experienced Brentwood truck accident lawyers have the resources necessary to seek the compensation our clients deserve. To learn more and receive free, friendly advice, call (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400.
When you schedule a free consultation with one of our trucking accident attorneys, you will learn about your potential legal options for recovery. Our law firm has handled cases like yours since 1982 and has the skills, experience, and resources necessary for proving your claim. We are available anytime to review your case and provide free, friendly advice.Leading Causes of Big Rig Crashes
Truck drivers are employed by the trucking industry across the United States. Truckers work extended hours to transport products to consumers, wholesalers, and manufacturers. Such high demand for commercial trucks could cause issues for others on the road, especially when regulations such as Hours of Service (HOS) are ignored. Passenger vehicles generally do not stand a chance against the overwhelming size and weight of tractor-trailers, and there is oftentimes when there is no way to avoid such a crash. Some of the top causes of 18-wheeler collisions include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI)
- Employer negligence
- Fatigued driving
- Faulty truck parts and equipment
- Following too closely or tailgating
- Improper cargo securement
- Lack of commercial truck maintenance
- Speeding or driving too fast for weather or traffic conditions
- Transporting unsafe and excessive weight for a public roadway
If you suffered injuries in a big rig crash caused by a negligent truck driver, you do not deserve to suffer the consequences. Our Brentwood truck accident attorneys understand the stress you have experienced because of someone else's recklessness or carelessness. We are here to help you through this difficult situation. To learn more about how we can help guide you through the claims process, contact us today for a free consultation.Types of Compensation in a Trucking Accident Case
If you suffered a catastrophic injury in a big rig crash, you may be eligible for financial compensation. The personal injury damages awarded in a truck accident case are intended to make you whole again and get your life back on track. The economic and non-economic damages you may seek compensation for include:
- Past and future medical expenses for reasonable and necessary treatment
- Lost wages for any earnings lost because of the injuries suffered in the big rig crash
- Loss of consortium for the negative impact on a marital relationship because of a tractor-trailer wreck
- Loss of future earning capacity if a permanent injury or disability was sustained in the commercial truck crash
- Emotional distress for the psychological trauma an injured party has endured because of the catastrophic incident
- Pain and suffering for the significant physical pain and emotional suffering from an 18-wheeler collision
- Wrongful death damages may be sought by surviving family members on behalf of a loved one who lost their life in a fatal trucking accident
An experienced Brentwood truck accident lawyer will know the best way to handle communications and negotiations with insurance carriers representing trucking companies. At our law firm, we have decades of experience handling cases like yours and will use all resources at our disposal to obtain the full and fair settlement you deserve.Can Punitive Damages Be Recovered in a Truck Accident Claim?
Punitive damages may be awarded in some extreme truck accident cases when an at-fault party's behavior is particularly egregious. Unlike economic and non-economic damages, punitive damages are solely intended to punish the negligent party and prevent them and others from acting that way in the future. For instance, a truck accident attorney in Brentwood may seek punitive damages if a big rig crash was caused by excessive speeding or drunk driving.What is the Filing Deadline for a Big Rig Crash in California?
In California, the statute of limitations generally requires a claimant to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court within two years of the date of the big rig crash. The same deadline also applies to wrongful death truck accident cases. This is by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1.
If the trucking accident lawsuit is not brought before the two-year statute of limitations expires, the case may be dismissed by the court, and the claimant may lose the right to recovery of damages. This is why it is essential to hire the best truck accident lawyer in Brentwood as soon as possible. For details on how soon you should retain an attorney for your personal injury case, watch the video below.Importance of Working with an Attorney on a Truck Accident Case
Our Brentwood truck accident attorneys can help you bring a successful claim by:
- Conducting an independent investigation of the 18-wheeler collision, including sending letters of preservation of evidence to the trucking company immediately for evidence like maintenance records, black box data, truck driver logs, and more.
- Retaining accident reconstruction experts to help prove how the big rig crash happened and how the truck driver or trucking firm was at-fault for the incident.
- Working with expert witnesses to help prove the impact of injuries from the big rig crash and damages incurred.
- Filing claims with the insurance companies representing the trucking companies and negotiating fair settlements that provide clients and their families with fair compensation.
- Preparing the trucking accident case for trial, if necessary, and using experience, skills, and resources as trial attorneys to present the lawsuit to a judge and jury.
Insurance companies and trucking firms will do everything in their power to avoid paying the fair compensation claimants are entitled to. Our law firm knows how to overcome the defense tactics insurance carriers use to avoid financial liability to injured parties and families of decedents. We will work diligently to ensure our clients and their families receive the settlement they need to move forward with their lives.
Image Credit: By "rauschenberger" via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1088] cha