Brentwood Motorcycle Accident Attorney
A motorcycle accident can potentially result in catastrophic injury or even death to those involved. Although each crash is different, most are avoidable and caused by driver negligence. Insurance companies often complicate the personal injury claims process for motorcyclists attempting to recover compensatory damages for their injuries and losses incurred. By contacting a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer in Brentwood, you will be at an advantage in negotiations with difficult insurance carriers who may be looking to take advantage of you and your vulnerable situation. If negotiations with the insurer are unsuccessful, an attorney can explore litigation.
If you were hurt in a crash caused by a negligent driver, you deserve justice and compensation for your injuries and damages. Contact our Brentwood motorcycle accident lawyers to receive free, friendly advice on your potential legal options for recovery at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Brentwood have observed the damage caused by these crashes and will work diligently to help you obtain total and fair compensation. Since 1982, our lawyers have recovered compensatory damages for our clients throughout California, including Brentwood and Contra Costa County. We offer free consultations to any injured motorcyclist seeking legal action against those responsible for their injuries and damages incurred. We handle motorcycle accident injury cases on a contingency fee arrangement and will not require attorney's fees unless we recover fair compensation on your behalf.Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
The negligent actions of another driver often lead to crashes involving motorcyclists. Some of the top reasons for motorcycle crashes caused by driver negligence include:
- Cutting off a motorcyclist
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
- Failing to yield the right of way to motorcycle riders
- Not leaving enough space between a vehicle and a motorcycle
- Speeding or driving too fast for traffic or weather conditions
- Turning in front of an oncoming biker
A motorcycle collision is dangerous for the rider and is often preventable. Based on a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,985 motorcycle riders were killed in wrecks in 2018. If you were hurt in a crash caused by another driver, our skilled Brentwood motorcycle accident injury attorneys can conduct an independent investigation of the incident and determine who is financially responsible for any damages you have suffered.Top Types of Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle lacks the protection a passenger vehicle offers, leaving motorcyclists vulnerable and at a high risk of catastrophic injury or wrongful death. Some of the most common types of injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Bone Fractures
- Facial Scarring
- Internal Trauma
- Road Rash
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Wrongful Death
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Brentwood understand the emotional, physical, and financial burden motorcycle accident injuries can have on bikers and their families. That is why our legal team has dedicated our practice to protecting the rights of those injured by someone else's negligence. We are committed to defending injured motorcyclists by standing up against difficult insurance companies to ensure our clients receive justice and fair compensation.Recovering Compensation in a Motorcycle Accident Injury Case
As skilled Brentwood motorcycle accident attorneys, we aim to ensure our clients receive fair compensation for their injuries and damages incurred. Compensatory damages may provide much-needed relief to injured motorcyclists and their families when attempting to cover all costs related to a motorcycle wreck. In other words, compensation is intended to make a claimant whole again.Types of Motorcycle Accident Injury Compensation
Economic damages represent financial losses from a motorcycle crash and generally include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Property damage
Non-economic damages consider the intangible losses a biker has experienced after a crash and may include:
- Emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
Our skilled Brentwood motorcycle accident lawyers can help injured motorcyclists compile a list of personal injury damages that prove their losses from the collision. It is essential to understand that California has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims arising from motorcycle accidents. This is by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1. If a biker fails to file a lawsuit within the deadline or accepts a settlement from the insurance company, the case may be dismissed by a civil court, and they may lose the right to seek damages.What is Comparative Fault and How Can it Affect a Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim?
California operates under a comparative negligence system when awarding personal injury damages in motorcycle accident claims. A court will determine the appropriate amount of compensation an injured biker is allowed to seek based upon their contribution to causing their injury. For instance, if a motorcyclist is bringing a claim for $50,000 and the court finds that their own negligent actions were 30 percent liable for causing the crash, the biker will only be able to recover $35,000.
Comparative fault is a common defense tactic insurance companies use to lowball any personal injury claim for a motorcycle crash. The reason is that insurers are businesses focused on protecting their bottom line and are not concerned about an injured biker's best interests. This can make it challenging for a claimant to negotiate with insurance carriers independently.
For this reason, working with an experienced Brentwood motorcycle accident lawyer who knows how to overcome the defense strategies insurance companies use is essential. For details on the factors that insurers look at to downplay the value of motorcycle accident injury cases, watch the video below.Importance of Hiring a Brentwood Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Retaining an attorney after a motorcycle accident in Brentwood is essential. A lawyer experienced in handling cases like yours can help you determine your potential legal options for financial recovery. An injury lawyer must be hired immediately after a crash to ensure all compelling evidence is collected and preserved to help support your claim for monetary compensation. At our law firm, our Brentwood motorcycle accident attorneys can help you by:
- Collecting Evidence: Gathering evidence immediately after a motorcycle collision can help provide insight into the sequence of events leading up to the incident and determine who was at fault. This may be in video surveillance, photos of the crash scene, and CHP traffic accident reports.
- Interviewing Witnesses: Our attorneys will meet with any eyewitnesses to the incident to provide an account of the events. Such testimonies are essential when bringing a personal injury claim or presenting the case in civil court.
- Reviewing Medical Records: After a motorcycle accident, seeking immediate medical treatment and noting all concerns with a healthcare provider is essential. Our attorneys will request these medical records later to prove your injury was the direct result of the motorcycle crash. Remember that failing to seek immediate medical care may result in insurance companies' disputing liability for your motorcycle accident injuries.
- Consulting with Experts: Professionals such as accident reconstruction experts can explain what occurred during the motorcycle crash. This type of evidence is critical to have when proving negligence. Conversely, medical experts can provide a perspective on motorcycle accident injuries and determine the type of future care needed.
- Handling Communications: Our law firm will handle communications and negotiations with insurance companies and defense counsel on your behalf so you can focus on recovering from your injuries. At the same time, we work diligently to obtain fair compensation.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 9.25.23] Photo by "SplitShire" via Pixabay ds [cs 1247] cha