Benicia Motorcycle Accident Attorney
While the California climate is hospitable to motorcycle enthusiasts, the same cannot be said for some of the state's highways and roads. Many of the busy freeways are quite dangerous to ride. Motorcycle accidents can potentially cause catastrophic injuries to riders, rendering them unable to work their regular job, or worse, unable to work at all. Severe injuries can rob one of the ability to live independently. When a negligent motor vehicle driver causes a serious motorcycle crash, the first thing the rider or his or her family should do is retain a skilled and experienced Benicia motorcycle accident lawyer. Having dedicated legal counsel on your side will ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive fair monetary compensation.Benicia Motorcycle Accidents - Common Causes
Accidents involving motorcyclists are often caused by negligence or error on the part of the motorcyclist or the other involved driver. Accordingly, many such accidents could have been avoided if one or more of the involved parties had acted with greater caution. Here are some common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving such as not paying close attention to the road or texting while driving
- Disregard of traffic laws or traffic signals/stop signs
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to use a turn signal during a lane change
- Excessive speed or traveling too fast for traffic or road conditions
- Sudden stopping or sudden accelerating
- Not checking the vehicle’s blind spots before turning, changing lanes, or opening a car door
Even when a motorcyclist shares some fault for an accident, under California law, the rider may still be able to recover some compensation from the other driver’s insurance, depending upon the amount of fault attributed to each party to the accident. This is because our state recognizes comparative negligence. If you are found to be 15% at fault for the accident, the amount of money you can recover from the other party is reduced by that percentage. To maximize recovery, consult with a top-rated Benicia motorcycle accident attorney.The Importance of Wearing Protective Gear
Riding a motorcycle without an approved and properly-fitted helmet can increase the rider's chances of sustaining traumatic brain injury during a crash. Protective leather clothing, or “skins” can decrease the risk of severe road rash, the descriptive term for deep abrasions caused by sliding or skidding across the asphalt after being propelled from the bike in a collision.
Watch the YouTube video, which highlights five crucial safety items for motorcyclists.Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Unlike a typical car accident where occupants of the vehicles are protected from the full forces of impact by bumpers, airbags, and the surrounding structure of the car, a motorcyclist does not have the same protections. Aside from his or her helmet and protective gear, a cyclist is often at the mercy of the impact between the vehicles. Many times, a ride will be thrown from the bike. Some of the common types of injuries that occur in a motorcycle crash are:
- Traumatic brain injury/concussion/post-concussion syndrome
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Spinal injuries - back and neck
- Groin and pelvic/hip injuries
- Partial or complete paralysis
- Road rash - deep abrasions, prone to infection
Several factors will affect the severity of a motorcyclist’s injuries, including the speed of each involved vehicle at the time of impact, the protective equipment and gear used by the rider, whether the crash ejected the rider from the bike, and some other such variables.Actions to Take After a Motorcycle Crash
The first concern for a motorcyclist following a collision is getting medical evaluation and treatment. Immediate medical attention following a traumatic impact will not only document the extent of the acute injuries but may prevent injuries such as road rash from becoming infected and more difficult to treat. Even if you feel you do not need medical care, it is important to be checked out. Oftentimes, inflammation and pain from injuries you may not initially feel will set in within hours or days after a significant impact.
If you are physically able, here are some important things to do at the crash scene. If you are too injured, much of this information should be available to you at a later date once the police report has been prepared:
- Get the name, driver’s license number, contact information, insurance company, and insurance policy number from any other involved driver.
- If the other driver fled the scene, try to document as best as possible to describe the driver and vehicle. Be sure this information is relayed to the investigating officer.
- Get the names and contact information for any witnesses at the scene who saw the accident occur. Independent, unbiased witnesses are crucial in determining liability (fault) in a legal matter.
- Take many photographs of all involved vehicles, your injuries, and the accident scene, including debris in the road, traffic signs, and road markings. Take more pictures than you think you may need - the more, the better.
- Get the name and badge number of the investigating officer, and clarify which department they work for.
How long will it take to resolve a motorcycle accident case?
The answer to this question largely depends on the severity of the rider’s injuries. If the injuries are relatively minor and liability (legal fault for the accident) is clear, the claim could settle in a matter of months. However, if the case involves severe injuries, a lawsuit may have to be filed. Larger, more complicated cases take longer to resolve, sometimes several years. An experienced Benicia motorcycle accident attorney will not rush your case and work on your behalf for as long as it takes to get you as much financial recovery as possible.
How much is my motorcycle accident case worth?
This answer also is largely dependent on the extent of the rider’s injuries. In a case with high medical bills, extensive wage loss, and continuing disability, it is not uncommon to have an insurance company pay the policy's entire limits, which could be six figures or more.
How will I get fully compensated for the damages caused by the motorcycle accident?
The best way to ensure a fair settlement and to receive as much money as possible is to promptly contact an injury lawyer with extensive experience in motorcycle accident cases.Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Benicia, California
The motorcycle accident lawyers at AutoAccident.com have advocated for numerous severely injured motorcyclists throughout Benicia and other parts of Solano County. To receive compassionate, free, and friendly advice from one of our motorcycle injury lawyers, call us at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 11.17.20]
mm [cs 1207] cha