Atwater Personal Injury and Auto Accident Attorney (209) 227-1931
Thanks for coming to my Atwater, California page. I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater personal injury attorney. From the time that the railroad first reached the area now known as Atwater, it has grown steadily from a town and was formally incorporated as a city in 1922. Not a place that easily forgets its roots, Atwater is named after Marshall Atwater, the wheat farmer who permitted his land to be used by the railroad for a train station. Today, Atwater boasts a population of over twenty-eight thousand people and continues to grow as the city embarks on a revitalization effort to attract more businesses and industries to the area.Originally From Brooklyn, New York
I am originally from Brooklyn, New York. I’ve made Northern California my home since 1969, when my service in the United States Air Force brought me here. I loved this area so much that I decided to stay and build a life and law practice here.How to Select an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or someone you hold dear has been involved in a traffic collision and suffered a serious personal injury, you have likely come to my website because you need an experienced personal injury lawyer but are not totally clear on how to find a good one. Even if you decide not to select me, I’ve created the video that follows to help guide you through the particulars of how to pick a good personal injury lawyer.
The process of finding the right attorney for a case can be a daunting one, and most people resort to internet searches to find representation for a case. In Atwater, potential clients have a lot of options as to attorneys. However, there are certain things that potential clients should keep an eye out for when it comes to hiring an attorney.
One factor is an attorney’s peer review rating from sites such as AVVO. AVVO calculates ratings without bias using a mathematical model that uses data from public sources such as state bar associations and other websites. Some of the law firms in Atwater either have no peer-review profiles or fail to list them online, or have poor ratings. One of the top firms for Atwater does list an AVVO profile, but only has a 6.5 out of 10 AVVO rating. My office’s AVVO profile has a 10 out of 10 AVVO rating, which is the highest rating possible. Additionally, I have been peer-reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell, another legal rating site, as Distinguished in 2016 as well as having high ethical standing.
Another source of information regarding an attorney is social media sites such as YELP that allow customers to provide ratings on a variety of establishments. The other firms do not advertise such reviews on its website. In contrast, my office maintains a YELP profile and has been extensively reviewed. On YELP, my office averages five stars out of five in customer reviews. We also maintain a Google Plus profile, where we’ve garnered dozens of five-star reviews from current and former clients. Unlike other law firms who may shy away from having a significant social media presence because of the possibility of negative reviews and comments, our law office embraces social media and welcomes public comments from clients.
Client testimonials are also an important factor in searching for an attorney. Other Atwater attorneys have listed written testimonials on their sites, but my clients have provided written, audio, and even video testimonials that provide detailed descriptions of how the firm helped them with their respective cases and provided compassionate, holistic representation. These testimonials, in addition to reviews received on social media sites, can provide a potential client with a comprehensive view of the quality of an attorney’s representation.
Finally, other Atwater auto accident attorneys may have experience with negotiating for settlements in personal injury cases, but they may not have experience in taking a case to trial and achieving a favorable verdict. My office has taken numerous cases to trial and is not afraid of confronting insurance companies who make lowball settlement offers by going to court. In fact, my law office lists both jury trial verdicts and settlements on our website, which include multi-million dollar recoveries on behalf of clients.
Since beginning my legal practice in the early 1980’s, I have represented personal injury clients exclusively. This specialization is important when it comes to choosing an attorney for a case. A high level of specialization means that an attorney knows the law in that particular field, its nuances, as well as the practical realities of litigating that type of case. When it comes to personal injury, specialization provides an attorney with the necessary insight into collecting the rights kinds of evidence and in how to deal with insurance companies aggressively.
Finally, potential clients should choose attorneys who are considered by other attorneys as an expert in the relevant field of law. This includes attorneys who have written publications, regularly appeared in media, or have led seminars and lectures. I have written books on automobile personal injury and motorcycle accident cases, and previously hosted a cable talk show regarding legal issues.Severe Personal Injury and Wrongful Death in Atwater
My office handles severe personal injury matters in Atwater. These cases include:
- Serious auto accidents. If you have a minor fender bender I can refer you to other competent personal injury attorneys that serve Atwater. My office focuses on serious cases, such as multi-vehicle accidents, rollover accidents or head-on collisions resulting in severe, disabling injuries or death, or accidents involving semi-trucks. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there was a total of 121 serious injuries and fatalities in Atwater due to vehicle collisions in 2013.
- Motorcycle accidents. Motorcycle riders are vulnerable to suffering severe injuries if they collide with other vehicles because of the minimal amount of protection they have. When a motorcycle gets into a head-on collision with other vehicles, the result is often fatal for the motorcyclist. Additionally, motorcycles are less visible to vehicles making left-hand turns, and many motorcycle accidents often result when cars make left-hand turns and collide with a motorcycle that is going through an intersection. In Atwater, three motorcycle collisions resulted in injury or death in 2013.
- Truck accidents. When large semi trucks collide with other vehicles, the difference in size often results in serious injuries. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), nine percent of all fatal highway crashes in California involved at least one large semi-truck. In representing clients who have suffered severe crashes in large semi-trucks, I will closely investigate possible causes such as driver fatigue, failure to conduct proper truck maintenance, overloading or improper cargo loading, reckless driving, or driver distraction, to establish liability and obtain compensation for a client’s severe injuries.
- Bicycle Accidents. Similar to motorcyclists, bicyclists are vulnerable to suffering severe, disabling injuries in collisions with other vehicles because of the limited protection they have and that they are less visible to other drivers. These accidents often occur when other vehicles are turning left or right at intersections.
- Pedestrian accidents. Most auto accidents that involve pedestrians result in serious injuries or even death, and often, the liable party is the driver of the vehicle involved. Pedestrian accidents occur in many ways, such as when vehicles are turning at an intersection and drivers fail to stop or yield, are speeding, or were distracted. In 2015, California was second in the country in the number of pedestrian fatalities in motor vehicle incidents – around 700 fatalities in total. In fact, 23 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities in the state were pedestrians.
- Dog Bite. Although some dog bites cause minimal injuries, others may be serious enough to require extensive treatment, including those that result in the transmittal of serious diseases like rabies. In Atwater, the owner of a dog who bites another person or animal is guilty of an infraction of county law and, if the same animal bites another person or animal within 12 months from the initial bite, then the owner is guilty of a misdemeanor. These violations can be the basis for holding owners liable for such dog bites.
- Slip and Fall. Although my office will refer most minor slip and fall cases to other Atwater personal injury attorneys, I do handle serious slip and fall accidents resulting in disabling or paralyzing injuries and even death.
- Vehicle Defects. I can pursue a products liability case on a client’s behalf if a dangerous defect how a vehicle was designed or manufactured caused an accident. Such a claim is based on whether the vehicle or one of its parts had a defect that was unreasonably dangerous that came to be either in its design, during manufacturing, during shipment, or through a dealer or manufacturer’s failure to warn buyers of such defects.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Traumatic brain injuries or TBI can be the result of trauma to the head such as after a fall or in a vehicle accident. These injuries may not always manifest immediately after the event, but in time reveal physical, emotional, or cognitive disabilities that people have to live with for the rest of their lives. My office uses qualified medical experts to prove brain injuries and obtain compensation for clients who have to live with the long-term effects of such injuries.
- Wrongful Death. Wrongful death cases in Atwater arise when someone dies because someone else was negligent. I will pursue wrongful death cases on behalf of the spouse, domestic partner, children, parents, siblings, or others with legitimate legal interests. Plaintiffs in wrongful death cases can recover compensation for medical and hospital bills, funeral expenses, and lost income (including potential future income) from the deceased person.
I’ve been admitted in good standing with the California State Bar and have been admitted there since my practice started. I am a member of the Sacramento County Bar Association where my law firm’s primary offices are located. As a dedicated trial lawyer, I’ve worked to remain on the cutting edge of trial practice. I’ve maintained memberships with the Capital City Trial Lawyers Association and the American Trial Lawyers Association. My office has gained admission into the Million Dollar Forum, an organization consisting of personal injury attorneys who have successfully obtained numerous verdicts and settlements amounting to a million dollars or more. My record of verdicts and settlements are between $300,000 to $25 million dollars.Why Should I Have My Atwater Personal Injury Case Handled by an Outside Law Firm Based in Sacramento?
The legal profession was not exempt from the recent economic recession, and many Atwater attorneys have left the area due to poor or stagnant business. However, my office is committed to representing clients in Atwater who have a serious personal injury or wrongful death claims. After an initial consultation, and if I believe that a potential client’s case has merit and that I would be a good fit for that client, I will pay for the client’s transportation, lodging, and airfare for a face-to-face consultation in Sacramento. I will also pay for overnight lodging so that potential clients are not burdened with same-day travel.Atwater Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater Personal Injury Attorney. If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt in a crash or other injuring event, please call me today at (209) 227-1931 for free, friendly advice. I take cases on a contingency fee basis. This means I do not get paid unless you win your case.FAQs:
Can you recommend a good chiropractor in Atwater?
Yes. We found the following highly rated Chiropractors through YELP.
Atwater Chiropractic, Inc.
2601 1st St.
Atwater, CA 95301
995 Bellevue Rd.
Atwater, CA 95301
Do you know any excellent auto repair shops in Atwater?
Yes. The auto repair shop listed below had several positive reviews on YELP.
715 Atwater Blvd
Atwater, CA 95301
Do you know the most dangerous intersections in Atwater?
Yes. The following intersections in Atwater have the most accidents historically:
- WINTON WAY & BROADWAY AV
- RT 99 & APPLEGATE RD
- WINTON WY & OLIVE AV
- ATWATER BL & MAPLE
- APPLEGATE RD & SYCAMORE AV
- BELLEVUE RD & SHAFFER RD
- FRUITLAND AV & SOQUEL AV
- BELLEVUE RD & ALABAMA AV
- BELLEVUE RD & CASTLE DR
- BUHACH RD & EAST BELLEVUE RD
- SANTA FE DR & BUHACH RD
- EAST BELLEVUE RD & GARDEN DR
- EAST BELLEVUE RD & CONSTITUTION DR
- BELLEVUE RD & CREST RD
- BELLEVUE RD & CONSTITUTION DR
- EAST BELLEVUE RD & BROWNELL AV
I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater Personal Injury Lawyer. If you or a family member has been seriously injured in an auto accident or other accident, please call me today at (209) 227-1931 for free, friendly advice.
Meet my friendly staff.
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum. We are trial lawyers who have won numerous cases totaling more than a million dollars.
View my Past Verdicts and Settlements.
I’ve been practicing in personal injury law for more than 3 decades.
Image Attribution: By Doug Dolde, aka Doug Dolde via en.wikipedia (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons