Atwater Truck Accident Lawyer
Residents of Atwater, California, are likely very familiar with the heavy traffic on State Route 99 and the number of automobile accidents that occur on the highway. It is a well-traveled route for commercial truck drivers, and collisions involving semis and tractor-trailers are also common.
Colliding with a commercial 18-wheeler or big rig is one of the worst kinds of accidents that can occur on an Atwater highway. The smaller vehicle's occupants may sustain severe injuries due to the massive impact. Medical expenses and lost income for those involved in a big rig accident can add hundreds of thousands of dollars. Because of the large damages and potential for catastrophic injury, it is crucial to talk with a top-rated Atwater truck accident lawyer following such an accident.What are Some Reasons Trucking Accidents Happen?
Specialized training is required before a person can legally operate a large commercial truck. After training, the driver must pass the tests required to receive a California commercial driver's license. Even with specialized training, operating a big rig is no simple task, and accidents caused by truck driver negligence do happen. Below, we go over a few reasons why a big rig accident may occur.
- Driver Fatigue. Driver fatigue is a common reason for trucking accidents. Truck drivers often operate under strict delivery deadlines, which creates an incentive for the driver to push past fatigue to get to the destination on time. There are laws in place that regulate how far a driver can drive without a mandated rest period, but these rules are not always enforced.
- Excessive Speed. Like other accidents, excessive speed is a common cause of truck collisions. Big rigs are much larger than the average passenger vehicle, requiring more time to slow down and stop. A deadly collision can occur if the driver does not allow adequate time to slow down and stop for congested traffic or a red traffic signal.
- Driver Distraction. Professional drivers are not immune to distracted driving. Like motorists, they may check their mobile phones and even read or send texts while behind the wheel. This is true even though the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) prohibits using hand-held communication devices during the operation of a big rig.
- Impaired Driving. Abuse of stimulants and other drugs is, unfortunately, quite common within the trucking industry. This problem, like driver fatigue, is related to strict delivery deadlines. Sometimes, a driver may use amphetamines or over-the-counter stimulants to stay awake to reach their destination on time.
Accidents involving commercial trucks are very different from other kinds of auto accidents. This is true for several reasons. One of the biggest differences is that in a regular accident, it is usually only the negligent driver who can be held liable (legally responsible) for your injuries and damages. When a negligent commercial truck driver caused the Atwater truck accident, several parties may be held responsible, including the driver, the trucking company, and perhaps even the truck manufacturer.
Watch the YouTube video of a time-lapsed road trip along State Route 99.Why It Makes Sense to Hire an Atwater Truck Accident Lawyer
After a serious truck accident in Atwater, CA, you must take steps to protect your legal rights. The wisest decision is to talk with an experienced truck accident attorney. There are several reasons why obtaining skilled legal counsel is essential, such as:
- They know who to sue. Every potentially negligent defendant must be named in a lawsuit. An experienced and best-rated truck accident lawyer in Atwater will protect your legal rights and ensure that any party responsible for the accident is held accountable.
- They can handle the insurance companies. Especially in a case with multiple negligent parties, dealing with insurance companies can be frustrating and confusing for someone without legal experience. Insurance adjusters are not your friends, although they often pretend to be. The entire goal of an insurance adjuster is to keep as much money in the insurance company's pockets as possible. That means they constantly seek ways to deny or lowball your claim. Having a skilled Atwater truck accident attorney on your side will ensure that your claim is not undervalued and you receive fair compensation for your damages.
- They will protect the deadlines. The best serious truck accident attorney in Atwater will protect your legal deadlines. If you miss the deadline to settle your claim or file a lawsuit, you may lose all your rights to recover compensation for your damages. In California, most personal injury cases have a two-year statute of limitations; however, if a public or government entity is involved, that time limit may be only a matter of months.
SR-99 is a heavily traveled trucking route. As such, Atwater residents are sometimes involved in accidents involving big rigs. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a collision with a commercial truck, the injury lawyers of AutoAccident.com can help. Call us at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. If appropriate, we can then set up a no-obligation consultation. If you prefer, we offer an online contact form as well.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 8.24023] Photo Attribution: By "janeb13" via Pixabay mm ds [cs 923]