Antelope Dog Bite Lawyer
Common wisdom holds that dogs are a man’s best friend. We love our furry companions and we often cannot imagine that they may hurt someone, either intentionally or accidentally. However, some dogs can be quite mean, and other dogs may mean well but unknowingly and suddenly bite someone. If you or a loved one was bitten by a dog in or around the City of Antelope, it may be possible to obtain a financial recovery from the dog’s owner.
The California legislature enacted dog bite laws that hold that the dog owner liable if their pet bites and injures someone. A verdict of negligence can lead to a legal recovery that can help make you whole again after your injury.Common Dog Bite Injuries
Animal negligence and dog bite claims can take many different forms, and often, the owner of the dog can be both civilly and criminally liable in the event of a serious injury. It may surprise you to know that millions of people are bitten by dogs every year. Some dog bites are fairly innocent and non-injuring, but in the more serious cases involving large animals, guard dogs, and pit bulls, injuries can be severe. Among the most common types of injuries from dog bites include:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Disfigurement requiring surgery and scars
- Puncture wounds
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones and even amputation
- Emotional and psychological trauma
Where dog bites are not treated immediately, an infection can also occur. It is often said that dog’s mouths are cleaner than human mouths, but that does not mean that bites cannot transfer harmful bacteria and potentially diseases like rabies. If you have been bitten by a dog, please do not wait to seek medical care to prevent serious injuries.Dog Owners are Strictly Liable for Harms Caused by Their Pets
As mentioned earlier, in California, the rule is strict liability for dog bites. This basically means that you do not have to prove that the dog owner was negligent. This eases the burden of proving your case thereby making it easier to hold the owner liable and obtain a financial recovery. Many states follow what is known as the “one-bite rule”, but in California, any injuries are compensable without fault and owners will be 100% responsible for paying the cost of your injuries.Dog Bite Injury Claim: The Harms and Losses that May Be Recovered
Vicious dog bites can be extremely painful and result in large medical bills, especially if the bite caused nerve damage or scarring that requires surgery to correct. This is why it makes sense to hire an attorney who can file a personal injury claim on your behalf and pursue a financial recovery to make you whole. Some common types of damages that can be recovered in dog bite cases include:
- Medical Bills (Both Incurred and Future): Medical diagnosis, doctor’s visits, surgery, and long-term treatment and care can all be compensated under California Law.
- Lost Earning Capacity and Income: Disability, whether temporary or permanent, that is a result of a dog attack can cause an accident victim to be unable to work for a time and even lose their jobs if they cannot return to work. These types of income related damages may also be recoverable in a personal injury claim.
- Pain and Suffering: California law allows dog bite victims to receive compensation for the damages that are associated with the continued hardship of surviving an attack.a
- Emotional Distress: Vicious animal attacks can be extremely traumatic incidents, causing recurrent nightmares, psychiatric trauma, and loss of sleep. Compensation for these emotional injuries can also be recovered.
- Wrongful Death: If a loved one was attacked and died as a result of a dog attack, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim on their behalf and recover damages for loss of companionship, loss of support, and pain and suffering.
A dog bite injury claim is usually filed against the homeowner’s insurance policy of the dog owner. This is why it is so important to get the full name and address of the dog owner after the incident. Without this information, it is extremely difficult to file a claim.When It Comes to Legal Action, Time is of the Essence
In California, a victim of a dog bite attack only has two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury claim in court. This means if you delay and do not contact an attorney for months, or years, you are putting your potential case in jeopardy. If you file a lawsuit after the statute of limitations has expired, your case will likely be thrown out of court.
I'm Ed Smith, an Antelope Dog Bite Injury Lawyer. Dog attacks can be traumatic experiences for all those involved, especially when they lead to lasting injury or death. If you or someone you know has been injured by a dog bite, reach out to me today for free and friendly advice. You can reach me at 916.921.6400 .
I have been serving in around the community of Antelope with their personal injury and wrongful death claims since 1982.
Feel free to browse my client reviews that are located at the following sites: Yelp, Avvo and Google.
I am proud to say that I have been admitted to the Forum for Million Dollar Advocates in California. This forum is made up of the best trial lawyers in the nation who have gained verdicts or settlements of at least one million dollars for their clients.
You can find a list of previous verdicts and settlements here.
:sb ab [8.02.2017 CS 949]
-- Return to Antelope CA Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer