Antelope Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Whether you ride your bicycle for work or recreation, biking is easy, fun, and healthy. It is also a form of transportation that can sometimes result in serious injury if an accident occurs.Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Antelope
Bicycle owners know firsthand how dangerous the roads can be. Many drivers forget to look for crossing cyclists and sometimes bicycles can end up in blind spots. At night, cyclists are much more difficult to see, even when all of the proper reflective equipment is used. Often, drivers do not pay enough attention to cyclists and cause accidents. Accidents between motor vehicles and bicycles are often attributable to the following:
- Texting and driving
- Driving in excess of the posted speed limit
- Drug and alcohol use
- Failing to stop at a stop sign
- Running a red light
Additionally, uninsured drivers can create another set of concerns for injured bicyclists. While many drivers have auto insurance that will protect you in the event of an accident and pay for medical bills, not all motorists are sufficiently covered. In complicated cases where the driver does not have insurance, you may need to file an uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist claim through your own insurance policy.Bicycle Injuries Can Be Life-Altering and Permanent
No matter what caused the accident, bicycle injuries can be extreme given how little protection bicycles provide the operators. When a car, truck, or SUV slams into a bicyclist, it is the person on the bicycle who absorbs the impact and suffers catastrophic injuries including:
As you can see, the injuries suffered by bicyclists hit by a vehicle can be severe and may require extensive medical treatment. With doctor’s visits, possible surgery, and long-term care and rehabilitation, you are likely looking at large medical bills associated with the accident. If you have health insurance, use it. If you do not, contact an experienced Antelope personal injury lawyer to discuss your treatment options. Your medical expenses are recoverable through a personal injury claim so be sure to keep track of all your treatments and billing invoices.Other Types of Damages that Can Be Recovered
- Lost Income and Earning Capacity: Temporary and permanent disability after an accident can cause accident victims to miss work or even lose their jobs if their injury prevents them from returning to work. These types of economic injuries may also be recoverable as personal injury damages.
- Pain and Suffering: Accident injuries hurt. Fortunately, California law allows accident victims to recover damages associated with the hardship of surviving an accident.
- Emotional Distress: Bicycle accidents can be extremely traumatic incidents, causing loss of sleep, recurrent nightmares, and psychiatric trauma. Damages for these emotional injuries can be recovered.
- Wrongful Death: If a loved one has perished in an accident, you may be able to pursue a legal claim on his or her behalf and recover damages for your own loss of companionship, loss of support, and pain and suffering.
The purpose of a personal injury claim is to compensate you for your harms and losses. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you have a legal right to pursue damages to be made whole again. If you have suffered injuries such as those described above, contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.Why Should I Hire a Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer?
There are many reasons why it makes sense to hire an attorney. First and foremost, it takes the pressure off of you to submit a claim and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company. You should focus on healing. Second, personal injury lawsuits can become quite complex and knowledge of this law area of the law is critical. Finally, a lawyer can put the time and resources into investigating your accident and putting together a persuasive case to convince an adjuster, judge, or jury that you should be compensated.Antelope Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Antelope Bicycle Accident Lawyer. If you or your loved one has been injured or killed in an accident, please call me today at 916.921.6400 or 800.404.5400 for some free and friendly advice on how best to proceed with a claim for you and/or your loved one’s losses. When you contact me, we can go over the details of your case by telephone before you come in to see me. I take all cases on a contingency fee. This means you pay no fees upfront. I get paid at the end of the successful resolution of your case.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 9.15.20]
Photo by Pexels
:sb bw [cs 910]