Isotretinoin, also known as 13-cis-retinoic acid, is a medication used to treat severe or cystic acne. It was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in May 1982. Since then, isotretinoin has been used when other antibiotics or medicines have failed to treat serious nodular acne. It has also been used for the treatment of other skin diseases. However, it must be determined by a medical professional if it is necessary. One of the several brand names for this medication is Accutane which has been found to cause adverse effects and has been pulled from the market.
If you suffered serious medical conditions from the use of Accutane, an experienced personal injury attorney could help you bring a strong products liability case against the makers of the drug. To learn how our lawyers can help, call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice today.
Consumers are harmed by faulty products on the market every year. However, as a patient, you do not deserve to suffer injuries by a defective drug and, let alone handle the case on your own. Since 1982, our personal injury law firm has handled products liability cases against negligent manufacturers. We have the experience, skills, and resources necessary for proving your case. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn how our legal team can help you through this difficult time.What is Accutane, and How Does it Work?
Like all retinoids, Accutane is a derivative of Vitamin A. It improves acne by decreasing inflammation, shrinking oil glands, and reducing sebum or oil production. Since there are many oil glands in the lips, this is the first area that will become dry first, followed by the face and potentially other areas of the body.What are the Most Common Side Effects of Accutane?
Some of the common side effects a patient may experience while taking Accutane include:
- Changes in the toenails and fingernails
- Dryness and cracking in the corners of the mouth
- Inflammation of the sclera (whites of the eyes)
- Nervousness, drowsiness, or dizziness
- Pain in the back and joints
- Peeling or cracking of the skin
A severe allergic reaction to this medication is rare. However, patients need to seek immediate medical care if they experience any symptoms of a potentially serious allergic reaction, including trouble breathing, serious dizziness, itching, swelling, or rash.Why is Accutane Bad for Pregnancy?
Accutane must not be taken by patients who may become pregnant or who are pregnant. There is a high risk that the drug may cause adverse effects such as birth defects, premature birth, or miscarriage.
Some of the birth defects that have been documented following exposure to Accutane include abnormalities of the cardiovascular system, central nervous system, ears, eyes, face, parathyroid gland, skull, and thymus gland. Any of these risks for defects can occur from Accutane use from the first trimester of pregnancy, even in small amounts.Is Accutane Legal in the United States?
Accutane was manufactured by the pharmaceutical company Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. In 2009, the drug was discontinued and removed from the market by the FDA for efficacy and safety reasons. There are other generic versions of the acne medication, isotretinoin, from several drug manufacturers.What are the Long-Term Symptoms of Accutane Use?
Some of the long-term symptoms related to Accutane use include:
- Bone, Muscle, and Joint Issues: Using Accutane has been found to affect the muscles, joints, ligaments, and bones of the body. Before starting this medication, patients need to discuss any exercise routines they have with their physician.
- Diabetes and Blood Sugar Control: The use of Accutane has been found to increase blood sugar levels. Reports also have indicated that it has led to diabetes in rare cases.
- Internal Organ Trauma: A possible side effect of Accutane is damage to internal organs. This may include the bowel, esophagus, liver, and pancreas.
- Fertility and Sexual Function: There is not a direct effect on fertility from Accutane. However, research has shown a link between sexual function and Accutane, including numbness in the genitals, loss of libido, and erectile dysfunction.
- Mental Health Issues: There have been some severe mental health problems associated with Accutane. It has been found to cause suicidal thoughts, psychosis, and depression. While these side effects are rare, patients may continue to experience them after they stop taking the medication. In these cases, follow-up treatment is critical.
- Neurological Problems: Reports have indicated that Accutane has been linked to increased pressure inside the brain. This may result in permanent vision loss and, in some extreme cases, death.
- Vision Issues: Patients have reported experiencing severe eye problems and a temporary or permanent loss of night vision from taking Accutane. There have also been reports of the medication making it challenging for patients to wear contact lenses. Such difficulty has the potential to continue after treatment.
- Severe Skin Problems: Patients have reported severe conditions of the skin from Accutane use. They include toxic epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and erythema multiforme.
If you have experienced any of these long-term symptoms, it is essential to speak with an Accutane attorney right away. At our law firm, our personal injury lawyers offer free consultations.What is a Products Liability Claim?
Products liability is an area of personal injury law. It refers to a seller or manufacturer being held financially liable for placing a defective product on the market and into the hands of a consumer. When a company fails to produce a safe drug for patient use, an experienced products liability attorney can help a claimant seek justice and fair compensation for their damages.Who Can Bring a Products Liability Lawsuit?
A plaintiff or injured party may have grounds to file a lawsuit against a manufacturer when harmed by a defective drug or product. A products liability suit can be brought alone or as part of a class action if the faulty drug caused harm to many patients in the same manner.
An injury lawyer can help gather the evidence necessary to prove the case and determine the type of action that should be taken. If you have suffered harm from using Accutane, contact one of our products liability attorneys today for a free case evaluation to determine your potential options for recovery and justice.Types of Compensation in a Drugs Products Liability Claim
The purpose of a drug products liability lawsuit is to seek monetary relief from economic and non-economic damages. You may be entitled to financial compensation from the makers of Accutane for the following losses:
- Past and future costs of medical treatment
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
The products liability claims process is often challenging as many factors may impact the value of the case. To learn more, watch the video below.What is the Statute of Limitations on Products Liability Cases in California?
If an individual has been injured from using a faulty product, they have two years to file a lawsuit in civil court. In situations where the claimant fails to file a products liability lawsuit within the two-year statute of limitations, their case may be subject to rejection by the court.
In brief, the injured party may lose the right to recover compensation due to failing to meet the filing deadline. For this reason, it is essential to work with an attorney who is experienced in handling products liability claims. Our lawyers can help you better understand the filing criteria and time limits applicable to your case through a free consultation.Importance of Working with a Products Liability Lawyer
An essential part of the legal system is products liability cases. They are intended to provide compensation to consumers who have been injured by using unsafe, hazardous products. Cases for products liability also compel manufacturers to address and resolve issues with existing products.
Working with an attorney experienced in handling these types of cases is essential. A lawyer can determine the fair amount of compensation a client should expect to receive for their injuries and damages incurred.
Attorneys are skilled negotiators that often work with expert witnesses to prove the value of resulting losses. When going up against a large corporation, it is best to have an attorney at your side to ensure you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve. Your legal action may result in a change that benefits everyone.Contact an Accutane Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has suffered serious harm from the use of Accutane, you may be entitled to financial compensation. A settlement from a drug products liability case may help with mounting medical expenses, wage loss, and any other damages incurred.
While no amount of money can undo the pain or make up for what you have experienced, it may help provide a sense of justice knowing the drug manufacturer has been held financially accountable for their wrongdoing. It also provides them with the necessary incentive for reporting all potential dangers related to their products on the market.
If you have suffered severe symptoms or medical conditions using the brand medication Accutane, call one of our drug products liability attorneys today at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. Our lawyers are available anytime to review your case and provide free, friendly advice on moving forward with a claim for compensation.
Photo by StockSnap
:ds [cs 1644] cha
DISCLAIMER: This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a Retainer/Services Agreement. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you and our firm unless and until we enter into a signed Retainer/Services Agreement. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, medical or legal advice. Do not stop taking any medication without consulting your physician.